Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Best-wearing baby clothes

(19 Posts)
dinosaurkisses Sat 11-Aug-18 10:46:33

Expecting DC2 and I’m going to have to start going through the mountain of baby clothes put away after DD grew out of them.

Just looking at them, there’s a huge difference in how some items have lasted after being washed and worn for only three months.

Next - have lasted ok, colours haven’t faded but a little bobbly in places
Primark- faded, thinning even after a few wears
John Lewis- mixed bag, some things still look great, but some looked very sad and worn
Mothercare- brights still look great, whites aren’t quite as dazzling as they once were
Marks and Spencer’s- can’t wear the stuff out, still looks fantastic and has washed brilliantly!
Disney Store- more bobbles than fabric at this stage

Has anyone else got any —strong opinions— observations of how things have lasted for their dc?

Bobbiepin Sat 11-Aug-18 10:49:35

The Sainsburys stuff lasted DD really well. Asda less so but it's so cheap I don't mind.
H&M is ok but I rarely find stuff I like there.

a2inthehouse Sat 11-Aug-18 10:50:12

Agree with m&s, I've kept all my dd clothes from them they really did last fantastically.
Primark threw the lot out, some after only a few wears as they go out of shape after a couple of washes (good if you only want to use on one baby and for a short season)

My absolute favourite though has to be H&M. The quality of the clothes is brilliant, has never let me down, the sizing is fairly generous and the price is affordable.

SophieStripe Sat 11-Aug-18 10:54:47

This is a great thread! Am about to start buying baby clothes for our first baby and getting things ready. Looking online I really like what's available in H&M and M&S so good to know they wear well. What about mamas and papas? Has anyone bought anything from Mori or the online store pat pat? We don't know if we are having a boy or girl so just gonna buy enough stuff for first couple of months

dinosaurkisses Sat 11-Aug-18 11:06:53

Never bought off Patpat - it’s an American site isn’t it? I’d be worried about being stung for taxes.

Also never bought “high end” baby clothes like Jojo or Mori- I couldn’t justify the cost even though I’ve heard that Jojo stuff lasts forever.

Same for Mamas and Papas- never bought anything as their full price stuff is eye watering and seems to be marketed to first time parents who don’t realise that a three piece suit complete with bow tie for a newborn might be unnecessary

DreamingofSunshine Sat 11-Aug-18 11:14:24

JoJo and M&S last forever. I find John Lewis good as was Sainsbury's.

Personally I find Asda, Tesco, Next and Primark really poor quality, although they're cheaper than the above so I suppose cost per wear is similar.

SophieStripe Sat 11-Aug-18 11:15:29

Haha wasn't planning on buying a three piece with bow tie. I've only been looking online and mamas and papas seemed to have a good amount of unisex stuff. Many shops don't it seems! Mori seems expensive but also lovely and I might just get a couple of pieces (but not in newborn!)

firsttime17 Sat 11-Aug-18 11:17:47

I've found the best stuff to be the "cheaper" shops. Matalan, Sainsbury's, Tesco's and Morrison's washed well for me x

Mokepon Sat 11-Aug-18 11:20:44

h&m. decent quality, not too pricey, good range. sizes large I find.
Sainsburys. great value, wash and last well.
Mamas and Paper. Expensive but not too bad if you catch a sale. excellent quality.
Boden. Same as M&P but DD has 2 nighties she loves from them ..were large when she got them and now only the same side but they are coming up for 5 years old and look great.

YerAuntFanny Sat 11-Aug-18 11:21:34

Our favourite at was from Boots, we used their kids clothes from tiny baby right up to 6 years, DD has just outgrown the last of their stuff and I'm gutted their range doesn't include older kids!

It washes great and I loved that they did bright funky baby grows, vests and cardigans for boys and girls rather than standard pale pink/blue guff.

Celticlassie Sat 11-Aug-18 11:22:22

I've got some Jojo bits (in the sale or as gifts!) and they still look great. Would dress DD from there almost exclusively if I could afford to. Next are pretty good - a bit faded. Tesco leggings are pretty see through and went bobbly after one wash. I think ASDA and Sainsbury's sleepsuits were pretty good.

Marmite27 Sat 11-Aug-18 11:25:41

I’m just doing the same, getting out DD1’s old clothes for DD2.

Our Asda Stuff has lasted the best, some look brand new still - though they were all ironed.

Mothercare has lasted well, as has Dunnes (Irish relatives).

Tesco stuff is ok, if a bit bobbly.

Primark vests are awful. They went in the charity bin.

All DD1’s 2-3 winter stuff has just been packed away, for this lot all the Asda stuff has been great, with the exception of vests, they’ve greyed and gone really out of shape.

Mothercare stuff is like new, except the paint stained stuff and one particular print we had on both a long sleeve dress and long sleeve top that faded badly.

Dunnes stuff has faded badly on a couple of tops. Morrison’s top has gone really bobbly but the party dress and raincoat are like new.

Blue zoo stuff from Debenhams is like new - one tshirts and leggings combo, despite being a 2nd birthday present and worn every other week or so was good enough for a photo session. It was a favourite outfit so wanted it preserved for prosperity. DD1 is 3 next month.

It’s a mixed bag, depends on fabric batches, prints, if you iron it or not and how hard your child is on clothes. Toddler clothes take more of a bashing than baby clothes. However that said, Primark will only do one baby!

Marmite27 Sat 11-Aug-18 11:26:47

Photo session last week smile

LlamaPyjamas Sat 11-Aug-18 11:29:12

Tbh I think it depends on the fabric. Cotton from M&S has lasted really well but corduroy has gone faded and bobbly. I found the JL organic cotton faded a bit. H&M bibs went bobbly but other clothes have been fine.

Almostthere15 Sat 11-Aug-18 11:37:16

As others have said I think it's hit and miss depending on fabric but the things that have worn well overall are jojo (always in the outlet), boots and m and s. Once they are toddlers I think it's hard to keep anything looking pristine, a combination of being harder on the clothes generally and they wear them for longer

ParkheadParadise Sat 11-Aug-18 11:37:21

When I had Dd2 I found Next, Asda and Tesco clothes all good.
I came across Absorba online and spent a bloody fortune 😊.

SallyCinnamon3009 Sat 11-Aug-18 12:59:26

I love Tesco got given a load in a bag of baby clothes that were like new and now get most of DS stuff from there. Especially good if you like plain stuff as I'm not keen on the "here comes trouble" type of stuff that's around a lot at the moment.

Mamas and Papas wash really well but are small fitting and so always go up a size. They are pricey but do good sales or 25% off weekends throughout the year. Next and M&S seem to be the best quality and always have a good sale on with most stuff around 50% off. They also have a really good factory shop for anyone near to Huddersfield.

I also like Zara really good quality a little on the larger size. Only downside is they hardly do any bits baby clothes but loads and loads of girls.

Primark a bit hit and miss for quality but it's so cheap I'm not really bothered if it doesn't last.

Also love gap but never ever pay full price. The website are constantly running promotions of 40% off everything, same with both the normal and outlet stores.

ReginaPhalange89 Sat 11-Aug-18 14:09:51

I stupidly sold a lot of the "good bits" on eBay like M&S, Next etc. Regretting that now ! I only kept some newborn and 0-3 but that was more an emotional "couldn't bare to part with it" rather than thinking about using it again

chloechloe Sat 11-Aug-18 20:29:49

M&S is really good for the price. John Lewis stuff has also held up well.

I find H&M really good for newborn and baby organic cotton stuff. But as the kids get bigger the clothes tend to be synthetic based and horrible.

The stuff I have from the White Company has held up well through 2 kids and will be used by no. 3. I only ever buy it in the sale in the next sizes up. Their kids’ PJs are amazing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: