Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Gestational Diabetes’s blood sugar levels?

(13 Posts)
aetw Fri 10-Aug-18 06:54:47

Hi, bit of a specific question....
So I recently had A really horrible appointment at the hospital, I went for a growth scan at 30 weeks and they started saying how huge the baby was. I’m now having to monitor my blood sugar levels four times today. Is anyone else having to do this?
I’ve put myself on a very low GI healthy diet. It includes high protein, lots of fruit and veg, and brown carbohydrates. I.e. brown rice brown pasta and no fun!
I have found my fasting bloods are coming back about 4 to 5. And my afternoon all readings are coming back between 7.2 and 5. For those of you who are also doing this? Does this sound like normal sort of range? I don’t get to see the diabetes nurse until the start of September. Of course the size of my baby maybe that of a seven-year-old by that point.

aetw Fri 10-Aug-18 06:56:06

Correction: after meal readings not afternoon all readings!

OpenThatTrapDoor Fri 10-Aug-18 07:23:18

Those readings sound pretty good. I have type 1 diabetes and pregnant so targets may be slightly different but I’m working to:

Pre-meal: 4-6
1hr post meal: under 7.8
Pre bed: 5 - 7.8

aetw Fri 10-Aug-18 07:57:48

Ok,that’s interesting. Thanks.
My targets were below 5.3 in waking and under 7.8 for after meals. I did have one reading of 9.1 which scared me a bit. Do you reading often go over?

3boysandabump Fri 10-Aug-18 08:16:21

I had gestational diabetes in my last pregnancy. Anything over a 6.5 2 hours after a meal was classed as high.
I had a couple of readings that were a bit higher than that but never had anything higher than a 7.5 so luckily stayed diet controlled throughout my pregnancy.
It's so confusing though I could eat exactly the same meal on 2 different occasions and readings would be poles apart.
Also my highest reading was caused by stress not anything I'd eaten.

aetw Fri 10-Aug-18 13:07:03

Wow, really? Can stress trigger higher readings?

3boysandabump Fri 10-Aug-18 13:26:58

Yes I didn't know until the diabetes nurse was asking about the reading and somehow it came up that I was having a really bad day and she said that she would be why.

LostMyBaubles Fri 10-Aug-18 13:35:46

Have you had thr GTT test?

I had the test around 28 weeks
Came back negative

My baby is showing very big (scan showing 6-8 weeks ahead)
But I dont have GD

If you havent had thr test I would ask for it

Mousefunky Fri 10-Aug-18 13:57:56

I had the GTT with all of mine and was negative, really good results actually. They were all large babies (10lb+) and I’m measuring three weeks ahead in this pregnancy so looking like another big baby.

Big babies don’t always mean GD... have you tested positive for it or are they bizarrely guessing you have that purely because you’re having a large baby?

Limpshade Fri 10-Aug-18 14:48:01

After meals should be under 6.5 after 2 hours. Before breakfast should be below 5.

Stress can make it higher, but I wouldn't have thought as high as 9.1.

Remember that even healthy foods eaten in large quantities can push you over. You can have as many vegetables as you like with dinner, but protein and carbs should each fit onto your hand.

Vanillaradio Fri 10-Aug-18 15:07:49

I have Type 1 diabetes and was working to the targets Openthetrapdoor describes during pregnancy so yours sound pretty good. A one off reading of 9.1 will have done your baby no harm at all. I have had reading in my 20s caused by stress so that can absolutely affect your readings as can illness, hormones (so basically pregnancy!), heat, having more or less exercise than usual so a lot of thing really!
Nb they told me throughout my pregnancy that ds was way over 90th centile, going to be huge, the scan I had a week before he was born put him at nearly 9lb. He weighed 7lb 5oz! So take the growth scans with a pinch of salt!

3boysandabump Fri 10-Aug-18 15:23:35

Yeh I also had a growth scan which was way out. Predicting babies weight at 13lb+ he was only 8lb 12oz

aetw Sat 11-Aug-18 07:12:27

Thanks everyone. No, my gtt came back that I was borderline but that because I’m fit and healthy that I should be treated as normal. It was only after I had this bloody growth scan. She still only 4lbs. She’s also an ivf baby which do tend to be bigger. I just think the stress caused by the way they are dealing with me is causing more harm.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: