Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Anyone had to have an ovarian cyst popped?!

(12 Posts)
Kate123cl Mon 25-Jun-18 11:10:51

Hi everyone, when I went for an early scan they detected a 2cm cyst on my right ovary but was told it'd probably disperse as the pregnancy grew. I then went back 2 weeks later and they discovered it had grown to 5cm and they seemed a little concerned that if it grew any more that it might twist and cause a lot of pain. I'm scheduled to go back on Wednesday and if it hasn't popped itself and it's grew bigger they've told me that their plans were to pop it! Has anyone had any similar experiences? I'm dreading Wednesday, so scared!

Kate123cl Mon 25-Jun-18 14:19:57

Anyone?...

somersetsoul Mon 25-Jun-18 15:15:23

I had two when I was Pg with dd1. They popped on their own. They were really painful before they popped and then I was pain free. There was never any mention of them being popped. Have you googled it to see if it's common practice??

Kate123cl Mon 25-Jun-18 15:31:52

@somersetsoul thank you for your reply! I thought that too and hoping it's just popped without me knowing! I've googled and most posts say they were only removed if cancerous but no mention of popping anywhere!

BunnyTeapot Mon 25-Jun-18 17:59:50

I had a 9cm cyst removed via surgery I've not heard of them simply popping it.

Kate123cl Mon 25-Jun-18 21:08:01

@BunnyTeapot I was thinking the same thing... hopefully they don't have to 'pop' !

somersetsoul Mon 25-Jun-18 21:10:36

I had a quick google. They do remove them, usually via keyhole surgery. How many weeks pg are you?

shoelaces Mon 25-Jun-18 21:14:28

I had one when ttc. It started out with painful cramps, by the time i got a scan it was 11cm. Dr said to leave it but I was worried it was stopping me from getting pregnant. I insisted on a follow up. 6 months later it was 28 cm and they agreed to remove it. They then referred me for IVF and after 5 yrs I finally got pregnant.

I would defo ask for it to be removed if they are willing to do it.

Kate123cl Mon 25-Jun-18 21:29:04

@somersetsoul interesting! I'm 9 weeks tomorrow so sill very early! X

Kate123cl Mon 25-Jun-18 21:29:54

@shoelaces wow 28cm!! I think I've had mine for ages, painful when dtd and sometimes if I walk too far! I don't mind if they remove it at all just don't want them to pop it lol! Thanks x

somersetsoul Mon 25-Jun-18 21:57:31

Mine popped on their own at about 16 weeks. Mine were really painful and we found at an early scan. I thought it was eptopic until they saw the cysts.

Fingers crossed for you x

Kate123cl Mon 25-Jun-18 22:15:09

@somersetsoul yep they checked for ectopic with me due to pain too! What we go trough ayhmmx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: