Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Baby's Position

(11 Posts)
MeadowHay Wed 13-Jun-18 22:16:16

Does anyone know how accurate fetal palpation is for assessing position? I have an anxiety disorder so this is the new thing I've just latched on to after seeing another thread on here about baby's positions being judged wrongly by midwives confused. My baby was transverse until I had an appt at 35 weeks when MW said it was cephalic and 4/5 palpable. I was last seen on Monday at 39 weeks and told cephalic and 3/5 palpable. No mention of baby being back-to-back, can midwives tell that from palpation? I'm anxious too because I can see everywhere saying if they're in the right position you'll feel kicks up under your ribs, I don't think I've ever felt any movement anywhere near my ribs. Most of the movement I feel now is sort of in line with my belly button or up to an inch or two higher at most. I also get more and more of those sharp pains which I think is baby's head or something pressing on my cervix? I've also noticed in the last few days that movements are almost exclusively now on the left hand side whereas it used to be quite mixed and balanced.

Can anyone tell me anything to reassure me? Can't really book a private scan to check positioning as money is tight. MW also just referred me for a growth scan on Monday due to fundal height measurements showing a drop in growth on my growth chart but not a massive one and I understand I could well have given birth before the appointment, she said it usually takes about a week to hear from them at all.

RosieCotton Thu 14-Jun-18 00:26:29

From what I remember being back to back for me wasn't discovered until pushing. Babies have 2 fontanelles. 1 on the crown of their head which is a diamond shape and one at the back which is a triangle shape. Or at least that's how my midwife knew my son was back to back. So I'm not sure if they can tell back to back until labour starts.

As for position I hold zero hope in my midwife on that front. I've been telling her for weeks baby was breech as I was only get kicks in the cervix but at every appointment she was adamant baby was head down. I eventually kicked up enough of a fuss about it to have a scan. Turns out baby is in fact a footling breech and currently has her head jammed in my ribs.

Is pushing for a scan something your able to do? Just to find out baby's position. In glad I did as I was going to try for VBA2C but after discovering baby is a footling I quickly changed my mind on that. Id of hated for it not to be noticed until it was to late.

Havetothink Thu 14-Jun-18 10:29:51

My baby was back to back for weeks including Labour and it was obvious even to me because the bump had felt so different (much more solid at the front) from when she was the right way round.

Havetothink Thu 14-Jun-18 10:32:19

Sorry the bump was more solid when she was the right way round, not sure I was very clear.

MeadowHay Thu 14-Jun-18 10:40:41

I'm seeing the MW again on Monday assuming I haven't given birth by then so will mention it to her but I'm not one to demand a scan. Once I was overly anxious about the size of the baby and she suggested I could book a private reassurance scan but wouldn't refer me for one on the NHS as she wasn't concerned about it which tbh despite my anxieties I do respect that because I imagine the cost of scanning everyone who was anxious about anything would be astronomical! Also as I say I've been referred for a growth scan anyway so I will see baby's position on that, it's just it's likely that I will have given birth before the scan grin. Although I have a feeling I'm going to be dead overdue given how anxious I am about everything and I'm sure I read that can inhibit labour starting and things, grr. Trying to relax confused.

lifechangesforever Thu 14-Jun-18 10:41:05

Another one here stressing about baby's position - I'm only 35 weeks though so have some time.

I don't feel anything up near ribs, it's all to the side and just about bellybutton height, sometimes a tad higher and especially on the right hand side.

It's also absolutely rock hard (and quite uncomfortable) just to the left of my bellybutton, which I've been told is her bum but if it is, I just don't understand what's kicking me so hard in the sides. I have an anterior placenta, which I've read increases the chance of back to back birth blush

MeadowHay Thu 14-Jun-18 11:39:58

Yes life mine is similar and tbh I'm inclined to agree with MW - it does sorta make sense that the hard bulge around my left side is the bum and assuming MW is right about it being head down, and that the pains to my cervix are baby's head pressing on it, then the fact that bum is on the left side is a good sign because that's the ideal position for labour isn't it, left-occiputal anterior? Just cos I have an anxiety disorder I stress about stuff for no good reason really confused.

Tbf my MW is very good at reassuring my anxieties, she knows I have an anxiety disorder and I was referred to perinatal mental health team etc. So really I should just be talking to her about this when I see her on Monday I'm sure she will help put my mind at ease somewhat and maybe I could get her to explain where all the baby body parts are on me or something and I might feel better, it sounds like your MW has already done that for you though life? I don't know anything about anterior placentas though sorry. I was told by MW at antenatal classes to try and keep upright as much as possible to promote baby not being back-to-back so have been trying to do that like sitting up straighter propped up with pillows on the sofa and sitting on my birth ball and keeping active and walking about and that.

LisaSimpsonsbff Thu 14-Jun-18 11:55:19

Do you know where your placenta is? I don't feel any movement towards the top of my bump really (though I do feel the odd bulge up there), but I have a high anterior placenta so I assume that's why - I'm 35+2 and the head is definitely down as shown by a scan a couple of days ago (and every midwife who'd examined me for weeks - and there have been quite a few of them) had said the baby was cephalic. I think you hear a lot about the cases where they're wrong because it sticks out - they're nearly always right in identifying where the head is, but obviously not 100%.

chloechloe Thu 14-Jun-18 12:01:01

You're really getting yourself worried about this you poor thing! But it's not as if you're feeling kicks in your cervix. So please trust what the MW is saying as there doesn't seem to be any info to contradict it. If the baby is engaged then you might not necessarily feel kicks under your ribs as he'll have dropped down.

Also don't stress about where the baby's back is. Yes, left side is ideal but not necessary for an easy birth! DD2 was head down but with her back to the right, right up until the end and i had the easiest delivery ever. During birth the baby's head corkscrews into the cervix in a clockwise direction, which means they have less degrees to turn if their back is on the left rather than the right. But there's plenty of time for this to happen in labour.

If I were you I would try to stop looking into all this in the internet and use the time to practise some relaxation or hypnobirthing instead. You're obviously well informed and are already aware that being anxious in the delivery room will make the birth more painful and difficult.

MeadowHay Thu 14-Jun-18 14:58:46

Thanks both, I know you are both right blush! It is hard to control my anxiety but I am mostly filling my days of maternity leave with other stuff to take my mind off it and keep busy. I have a therapist coming to see me tomorrow morning too about a service I've been referred to by the perinatal mental health team because the midwife there is concerned that I am not bonding with the baby confused which I don't think is true but I am open to whatever support they think I might need I suppose. Now off to do more cleaning to keep my mind off worrying grin.

I do have a tiny bit of excitement now though. Every time I go to the toilet I get excited in case I have a show blush. No sign of anything yet though (I know not everybody gets/sees one like). I think I am about as ready as I'll ever be for this baby to be born!

chloechloe Thu 14-Jun-18 16:16:00

That's good that you've agreed to see the therapist - even if you don't feel she's being sent for a valid reason I'm sure she'll be able to help with any other issues you personally might want to discuss. Good luck with the upcoming birth - trust your body that it will do the right thing. If there are any complications you and baby will be in good hands with the Drs and midwives!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: