Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Tiny pinpricks of red blood

(22 Posts)
SpongeCake23 Wed 13-Jun-18 19:36:55

The last couple of days it's happened three times when going to the toilet. I go for a wee, wipe and there are one or two tiny dots of red blood on the paper. They often have a strange look to them like it's smudged off something. I then check by putting a finger or tissue up inside me and it comes out clean. What's going on? It stops as suddenly as it starts. I tried calling my midwife earlier but she's apparently on annual leave. I'm not sure it's bad enough to call the maternity unit.
The skin around my labia and the outside of my vagina feels sore, so maybe it's coming from something external?
It's not like period blood or the sort of bleed you get when you wipe then - mixed in with discharge etc. It's literally a pin prick of blood.

I can feel him moving around. And he's moved lots today.
I'm not sure what to do.

Wellthisunexpected Wed 13-Jun-18 20:11:57

Call the assessment unit. They'll either reassure you over the phone or ask you to come it. It's likely delicate vulva skin breaking with the increased blood flow, but best to get checked.

SpongeCake23 Wed 13-Jun-18 20:30:10

@Wellthisunexpected I'm also on 75mg of asprin, so I wonder if that's making a difference too.
I really don't want to go into hospital unless I really have to. I can feel him moving so I'm not too worried. We live quite far from the hospital and I have a real phobia of them too, I had to be dragged almost kicking and screaming in to have a scan.

Mousefunky Wed 13-Jun-18 20:52:30

I had this with my second missed miscarriage, it was the only bleeding I had. When it happened again in this pregnancy I naturally feared the worst however he is absolutely fine! If you’re feeling regular movement I honestly wouldn’t worry too much. If it’s every time you wipe and continues for another day or two or gets heavier, call the assessment unit.

CathyandHeathcliff Wed 13-Jun-18 20:54:52

@Mousefunky Thanks, how much blood was there with your mmc? I know he's okay because he's moving around. I'm sure it's coming from an external source but of course if it keeps happening or gets worse, I'll call up/go in.

Sylv2017 Wed 13-Jun-18 21:07:03

I had exactly this at about 24weeks and was so worried... they checked for UTI but turns out it was thrush think I'd had it a while without realising (I never get the usual symptoms with thrush) and it had irritated everything. Might be worth going to GP x

CathyandHeathcliff Wed 13-Jun-18 21:23:05

@Sylv2017 For a while I've thought I've had thrush, I've still got some canestan cream. I had it badly at the start of the pregnancy. I'll use some cream on it tonight and see. But I will visit my GP.

SpongeCake23 Wed 13-Jun-18 21:23:53

I've just got a mirror and there's a tiny little blister just under the clitoris, on the outer vaginal skin. It looks a little inflamed and sore. Because I now take aspirin, I suppose that's part of the reason for it bleeding. I'm getting stinging coming from it and the general area.

JamesDelayneysTattoos Wed 13-Jun-18 21:25:46

Have you ever had herpes op?

SpongeCake23 Wed 13-Jun-18 21:30:15

@JamesDelayneysTattoos No I've never had herpes and can't have caught it this pregnancy as I haven't even had sex since about 4 weeks and that was with my partner.

JamesDelayneysTattoos Wed 13-Jun-18 21:33:52

No offence intended, I hope none taken. Just the blister and soreness made me think. It can lie dormant iirc.

How many weeks are you? I’m guessing at least 2nd trimester if you are feeling regular movements? I would give your midwife a call tomorrow to discuss but unless the bleeding intensifies or anything else changes or worries you I wouldn’t think it’s too serious.

gryffen Wed 13-Jun-18 21:34:50

Make a wee appointment with a nurse or doctor and ask them to check it - probably just the blister as we do get a bit rough down there but always worth getting a check done as our bodies love causing mayhem for us.

SpongeCake23 Wed 13-Jun-18 21:37:13

@JamesDelayneysTattoos None taken. I'm feeling regular movements now and he's been moving loads today.
I had my 20 week scan last week and all was perfect.

SpongeCake23 Wed 13-Jun-18 21:44:23

I'm 21 weeks

Iswallowtoothpaste Wed 13-Jun-18 21:54:45

I have had this and had an internal examination. They said I have cervical ectropion. Basically a graze on the surface of the cervix which will bleed due to increased blood flow/sex. Bright red blood but hardly any of it and only when I wipe. The nurse told me that it’s like your cheek when it bleeds.

CathyandHeathcliff Wed 13-Jun-18 22:07:17

@Iswallowtoothpaste oh that's interesting, what do they do about it? Can it harm the baby?

Iswallowtoothpaste Wed 13-Jun-18 22:24:06

They can’t do anything about it but it’s literally just a little graze on the cervix and wont harm the baby at all. They told me that it’s far enough away from the baby not to worry. I’m 10 weeks now and mines settled down (touch wood) was reassuring to know that there was a cause for the bleeding though.

SpongeCake23 Thu 14-Jun-18 08:54:49

No further blood, so I hope that's it now. Put some canestan cream on in case it's thrush.

Mousefunky Thu 14-Jun-18 09:50:50

With my second MMC the only bleeding I had was the tiny pin pricks of red blood when I wiped. It was like I had cut myself shaving, that’s the best way to describe it. However it was discovered at the 12 week scan. As I’m sure you know, miscarriage in the second trimester is much, much rarer and since you are feeling movements try not to panic.

Herpes was a good point if you have a blister OP, it can lay dormant for years. Check with your GP.

SpongeCake23 Thu 14-Jun-18 12:28:58

@Mousefunky Thanks, I haven't had any further blood. If I do, I'll contact someone to be seen.
It's bizarre and I wonder where the bleeding is coming from. It didn't seem to be coming from inside. I've never had herpes before so I'm not sure about that one. Maybe it's just a scratch or something that I keep catching or keeps getting inflamed.

SpongeCake23 Thu 14-Jun-18 12:30:11

I also had a great 20 week scan last week. Everything looking good.

SpongeCake23 Thu 14-Jun-18 13:45:42

I can feel him moving loads today and no more blood so I'm trying not to worry. I keep thinking if it was anything bad there would be a lot more bleeding and I wouldn't feel him move so much.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: