Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

has anyone got experience of giving birth in Milton keynes or Bedford

(11 Posts)
Baby2018 Wed 13-Jun-18 19:21:37

Hey all

bit of a long shot but Im deciding between milton keynes and beford to have my baby ( Northampton is full) and ive not heard good things about either option. Has anyone got any experience of either of them? would be good to have some first hand advice, right now im thinking bedford because they are smaller and have more water bath / birth rooms but Im not sure

thanks

ASlowRegardOfSilentThings Wed 13-Jun-18 19:32:21

Yes, actually. I had two at Bedford. The first was ok, but after 2 days of contractions I could have given birth in a field.

The second was bliss, in and out quickly (which is what I wanted) no pressure, really nice and attentive, but not over bearing. The staff were really lovely, and couldn’t praise them enough.

lapenguin Wed 13-Jun-18 19:32:55

I had a so so time at mk. They left me for three days between my water breaking and giving me the drip to induce, they kept giving me pessaries (this is apparently normal for first time mums so may not be mk solely?).
Having said that, I felt fully supported during delivery. I had an amazing midwife and student midwife. Ds heart rate started to drop and neonatal staff and suregeon for me were all on hand for if I needed an emcs. I ended up giving birth naturally. The staff were very supportive and helpful with breastfeeding, one staff member sat with me for ages helping me express collustrum. They were also quick to react when they thought ds had sepsis.

Baby2018 Wed 13-Jun-18 19:42:37

Thank you both very much, would you mind me asking were your experiences recent?

lapenguin Wed 13-Jun-18 19:48:44

Mine was nearly two years ago smile
I have known a few other people who have had children there over the past couple of years and I've not heard anything too bad. I know mk had a bad reputation for a while but the staff have gotten much better

ASlowRegardOfSilentThings Wed 13-Jun-18 20:08:57

Last one was about 2 years ago also smile

I had heard a few bad things also, but in the end it was actually a very nice experience. Very thorough, and happy to help over the smallest of things. grin

Baby2018 Wed 13-Jun-18 22:08:00

Thanks both, think I'll go for bedford because its smaller but Im having a proper tour in a couple of weeks to help me decide. Really appreciate your replies v helpful and reassuring x star

lapenguin Wed 13-Jun-18 22:43:12

Hope it goes well smile I have seen the ward a few times as I worked in the hospital, it did seem nicer in layout!

lapenguin Wed 13-Jun-18 22:43:44

*Bedford seemed nicer layout than mk :D

SockQueen Wed 13-Jun-18 22:49:59

I had DS at MK just under 2 years ago. I was induced, and the antenatal ward was super busy so I had to wait ages to get started, which was quite stressful - but I was a relatively low risk patient so I can understand why I wasn't a priority. Once things actually got started I was very happy with care, I progressed quite quickly with the pessary so was on labour ward within a few hours, saw a consultant when they were concerned, but in the end had a normal midwife-led delivery. Couldn't fault the labour ward care. Going back to the ward after was less nice - still very busy, breastfeeding support was patchy but everyone was kind, just too stretched. And I am a HCP and was a member of staff at the time, so knew who and what to ask for!

MK's labour ward is fairly old now, there is no MLU, which I believe Bedford does have, though I don't know if it's as shiny as the one in Northampton. There's nothing wrong with the kit etc at MK, it's just looking a bit tired!

It might be too far for you, but have you looked at Stoke Mandeville? I work there and it's probably nicer than MK. If I were to have a second I'd consider going there instead, but not sure if the extra travel is worth the faff.

HumpHumpWhale Wed 13-Jun-18 22:54:06

I had DD at Bedford 2 years ago today. It was great. Granted, she was born 45 minutes after I arrived but I did find them really nice and engaged and responsive, and the post-natal ward was so so much nicer than the seventh circle of hell that is the post-natal ward in St Thomas's in London, where I spent 9 interminable days in 2013.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: