Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Changing Bags!

(19 Posts)
FoxtrotSkarloey Wed 13-Jun-18 16:30:04

Sorry I haven't a scooby if this is the right place for a thread like this, but I know there are lots of lovely helpful people around so I hope you don't mind.

I'm amazed at how much a 'proper' changing bag can cost! But at the same time, I really like lots of compartments vs a normal holdall where you spend ages rooting around inside for stuff. I'm also keen on something which can be used as a backpack and hang off the pram.

So please give me your tips and wisdom. There's too much choice out there! What do I get if I get a proper change bag (apart from compartments!)

koalab Wed 13-Jun-18 16:35:18

I have the Bable backpack from amazon. Its great. Big, lots of pockets and DP is happy to carry it round too. Also has clips to attach to the buggy.

mommybear1 Wed 13-Jun-18 16:35:22

Hi I got suckered into a "proper" changing bag and went for a Pacapod it's beautiful I love it and the compartments but when the compartments are filled there is very little space in the actual bag for clothes changes and my own stuff purse/keys/phone. As baby has grown I have found myself using a rucksack it's so much bigger and kinder on the back not to mention it's a great hands free option. I found with an over the shoulder bag it's just kept slipping down which is a PITA when trying to get the baby in/out of the car seat. I wish I had saved my money and just gone with a rucksack to start with re the compartment bags my rucksack came with some of these and as it's got 3 sections I haven't really missed them so I am a bit gutted I spent the cash on the Pacapod tbh! Hope that helps

koalab Wed 13-Jun-18 16:36:00

And I think it was about £30, so not ridiculously expensive.

RosieCotton Wed 13-Jun-18 17:04:16

I got my change bag from ikea. It has 2 huge compartments. 2 side pockets. Different compartments inside the big pockets and 2 hidden pockets inside it. It cost my 13 quid and I love it.

bluechameleon Wed 13-Jun-18 17:16:31

I use a sling so I use a normal backpack and pack items into smaller bags within it - basically a much cheaper version of a pacapod. So I have a double zip wetbag for clean and dirty cloth nappies, cloth drawstring bags with changes of clothes for each child, a bag with books and toys to entertain the older one in restaurants and an insulated lunch bag for snacks etc. Makes it easy to find things, and to check what needs restocking for the next day.
However, if I had only one child in disposable nappies and used a pram I would just use a cheap one that goes over the pram handles and has a couple of compartments because you won't need nearly so much stuff.

PenguinJS Wed 13-Jun-18 17:25:47

I went for a backpack style one: www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0746HCVLZ?ref=br_mb_ov_item_detail&coliid=I2V6NKVZ1K7XPC&tag=mumsnetforum-21&colid=2O1QUU0BR0MRL

It’s great, comes in loads of colours, buggy clips available and fits quite a lot of stuff in it.

happymummy12345 Wed 13-Jun-18 17:40:13

We had the silver cross one because it matched the pram. I love all matching accessories on prams.

FoxtrotSkarloey Wed 13-Jun-18 23:04:58

Thanks everyone, really helpful to get some personal recommendations!

CocoDeMoll Wed 13-Jun-18 23:06:57

I got a like baby back pack one and it’s great. Looks expensive but not too pricy. On amazon

CocoDeMoll Wed 13-Jun-18 23:07:50

leke not like

ZenNudist Wed 13-Jun-18 23:10:47

Mia tui do ordinary ish bags but lots of compartments. They are hard wearing and look good.

Dont get a pacapod. Pods take up loads of space. Very gimmicky.

You could just get some kind of normal tote bag and try and be minimal about what you actually take around with you you don't need as much as you think you do

TroubledLichen Wed 13-Jun-18 23:16:44

Black longchamp hold-all for me, looks like the large pillage shopper but has a handy luggage strap. Then £10 on a cheapo changing mat from amazon that also includes a pouch for nappies. No need for an actual nappy bag unless you really want one.

JW13 Wed 13-Jun-18 23:32:41

I initially got a storksak changing bag which I love (and it was half price) but it's pretty bulky and holds less than you'd think. Fine for when I take my big pram out but not so easy for travelling/using a stroller.

Then I got a Tiba and Marl rucksack which again I love it but it holds much less than you'd think (got that half price as well)!

I've just bought this for using in a normal tote bag for travelling - https://www.skiphop.com/skiphop-on-the-go/VC_202205.htmlhttps://www.naturalbabyshower.co.uk/products/storksak-mini-organiser-navy?utmm_medium=cpc&utmsource=googleshopping&variant=17044736835&dfwD_tracker=18187-17044736835&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIq9CFl9fR2wIVLLHtCh0FbQf8EAQYASABEgIPjvD - which i think is a good organiser. it's actually quite big and I think it will hold quite a lot. Plus it can clip onto the back of the pram when i don't need to take loads of stuff out for short trips.

These are also good if you want to use a normal bag - BwE - it's basically a changing mat with pockets for nappies/wipes etc so you can just take it out of the bag to do a nappy change rather than lugging a big bag to the toilet.

CanaBanana Wed 13-Jun-18 23:39:15

I have the Pacapod Saunton and love it. It looks like a nice leather tote and has shoulder straps for hands free carrying plus rings to attach to pram clips. Lots of pockets plus a stretchy elastic to hold your keys while you wrestle baby into a car seat. The pods are handy for organising things - I use one for changing gear and one for spare clothes. It comes with a foldable changing mat too. It was a bit pricey but worth it because it makes me feel less mumsy and more stylish!

DirtyThirties Thu 14-Jun-18 07:01:06

I bought this for £10 and I love it! It comes with a travel changing mat, bottle bag, and a few different compartments, seems about the right size (though baby isn't here yet so we shall see!)
m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dark-Blue-Black-3PCs-Baby-Nappie-Diaper-Changing-Bags-Set-3-Designs-NEW/190720347565?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=490246485863&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

IveNoImagination Thu 14-Jun-18 07:11:37

I loved having compartments for different things but in reality I didn't need them. It's our second baby and we generally don't go anywhere for long as often as we did with our first, so we've ended up with a normal, decent sized bag from eBay for £9. We were given a travel change mat as a gift from a family member also.

Hayleyxmx Thu 14-Jun-18 07:44:57

@JW13 where did you find a Tiba and marl half price, was is recently 🙂

JW13 Thu 14-Jun-18 09:16:13

@Hayleyxmx It was from Mamas and Papas a few months ago - I think I was very lucky to find it!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: