Talk

Advanced search

How common are missed miscarriages?

(12 Posts)
SophieStripe Wed 13-Jun-18 11:44:12

Hi.. I had a MC 5 months ago at 10+4. I am now pregnant again, 10 weeks today. Being now so close to my first 'milestone' I'm now starting to get anxious about my first scan which will be when I am 13+1. How common are MMC? I had never heard of them before I googled/used mums net! I am petrified I will go to scan and there will be no baby. I haven't had any reason to think this - no cramps or bleeding so far - only thing is nausea has massively eased off and almost gone as of week 9. Any thoughts?

TinyTerror1 Wed 13-Jun-18 12:15:54

Sorry for your previous loss. Try not to worry about mmc (I know, easier said than done). They are rare, much rarer than 'normal' miscarriages - I think the figure is something like 1%, which may still sound high but compares to more like 20% for mc. I spoke to my midwife about it and she said if I'd had no pain or bleeding it was very unlikely that there was anything wrong.

Symptoms do start to ease off at different stages for different people, but for some people they persist even after a mmc so this is not a reliable indicator.

Unfortunately mumsnet does make them seem common, as people post here for advice and help, but they really aren't. Remember the odds are in your favour, and try to relax and look forward to your scan (as much as you can - everyone is anxious about the first one!) xx

babydreamer1 Wed 13-Jun-18 12:22:25

I was also really worried about this. I'd recommend going for a private scan as soon as you can. It meant that I could enjoy the beginning of my pregnancy as once you can hear/see a heartbeat the risk decreases massively. They are usually between £40-£70 but was worth every penny to stop me worrying.

Mousefunky Wed 13-Jun-18 14:28:53

I think I read that 1% of miscarriages are missed miscarriages and only 2% of women will miscarry twice. Sadly for me, I fit into both of those stats and had two MMC last year however I am now 19+3 with a healthy baby boy smile.

Try not to get bogged down with the panic which I know is easier said than done. Early scans reassure some people and dopplers reassure others (but I didn’t use mine until 14 weeks so I knew I would be almost certain to get the heartbeat). The best thing but also the hardest thing is to very much take a what will be will be approach, there’s nothing you can do to change the outcome and the stats are in your favour.

LisaSimpsonsbff Wed 13-Jun-18 17:47:11

Surely it's pretty hard to work out the rate of missed miscarriage, as it depends on when you have a scan? I had a missed miscarriage diagnosed at 7 weeks, but I started bleeding by myself a week later so if I hadn't had that scan (which most women wouldn't have - I only had it due to my previous history of miscarriage) surely it would simply have been classed as a spontaneous, natural miscarriage, not a missed one? It does seem that the vast majority of missed miscarriages are diagnosed in women who have early scans for whatever reason - finding out at the 12 week scan seems, anecdotally, much rarer.

SophieStripe Sun 17-Jun-18 12:12:34

Lisasimpsonsbff that's exactly what was on my mind... So I guess my question is how common is it to go to 12 week scan and find that baby has died at 7, 8, 9 weeks or whatever? I was slightly worried about this but I am getting more and more nervous as the days go on. Since middle of week 9 nausea has massively tailed off. I still get it occasionally. Boobs are also seeming smaller I think. Bigger than pre-pregnancy but smaller than they were at say 8 weeks. I have an amazing walk I epu I know I could get scanned at... Half of me wants to go, the other half just wants to wait until the official scan. I went to epu last time and was reassured, only for it all to go wrong 2 weeks later. I guess I want to know of anyone thinks my slightly dwindling symptoms could mean anything. Or failing that if anyone has a fast forward button to take me 3 weeks forward?!

Emma198 Sun 17-Jun-18 12:17:03

Sorry for your previous loss. There seems to be a lot of people talking about their missed miscarriages and it gave me the impression they were so common, I was really worried too but when I read up on it they're actually not common at all. Try not to worry.

NotAsGreenAsCabbageLooking Sun 17-Jun-18 12:24:54

I’ve had three MMCs, one was found at 13 week scan with no previous scans, my second was found at 7 week scan, and my third was found at 12 week scan (I’d had an early scan with this one that had shown the heart beat).
I’ve no idea on the statistics of them though.
I’m now on my 6th pregnancy which will hopefully result in my third child.

SophieStripe Sun 24-Jun-18 15:09:49

Thanks for all your replies... I am trying to stay positive and remember they aren't common. I think perhaps online makes them seem more common as people turn online for support. Perhaps. However I still have two weeks to go, am now 11+4 and so worried! Symptoms have all but disappeared now. Boobs are still bigger than before but definitely shrunk a bit. Nausea has gone from 24/7 to maybe an hour in the evening. Just feels like everything is slowly dwindling off... Haven't got a bump and been trying to feel uterus as loads of people say you can feel it by now but I can't feel anything!! Has anyone else felt like me and everything turned out okay?? I wish time would speed up!

TinyTerror1 Sun 24-Jun-18 15:24:01

Symptoms tend to ease from about 10 weeks onwards (earlier for some people) so try not to worry about that. I certainly couldn't feel my uterus, although I did feel uncomfortable lying on my front but that may just have been bloating confused. I had no real boob soreness or growth in the first trimester.

Proper bump is unlikely to appear until 16-23 weeks, depending on your general fitness and starting size (height as well as shape) so that is no indicator of what is going on at the moment.

I was absolutely convinced I'd go to my 12 week scan and find either nothing, a molar pregnancy, or a mmc. This is one of the most common fears on this board and for the overwhelming majority of people the 12-week scan is nothing but a wonderful moment seeing their baby for the first time.

It's a shame your scan isn't until 13+1 when sooner would be better for your peace of mind. I think you have done the right thing not getting scanned all the time as it doesn't actually provide reassurance for more than a few days. You've done so well, just another 11 days to go. Thinking of you xx

SophieStripe Sun 24-Jun-18 15:54:37

Thank you so much tinyterror! Yes, I have read that symptoms can fade because of placenta etc so am really hoping it's that. I wish I lived before the Internet was invented!! I have no reason to worry - no cramps, no bleeding, been looking after myself and do have some symptoms left, they are just less than before. If I didn't have the Internet I wouldnt even know what a MMC was! But, I do have the Internet and have read so many stories about people still full of symptoms and those that have lost them only to find that their baby has died when going to their 12 week scan. But I've kind of just answered my own question--symptoms seemingly mean nothing! As you say, just another 11 days to go, but I do wish the scan was a week earlier. Apparently my doctor is on leave during my 12th week! How dare they go on holiday... Don't they know I'm HAVING A BABY??!!! grinwink

Grumpos Sun 24-Jun-18 16:13:29

I’ve only ever had quite minor symptoms, bit of gag reflex when brushing teeth, a gurgly tummy and that sort of thing but nothing sickness related and my boobs stopped hurting very early on.
My pregnancy has been really smooth other than the emotional side / anxiety. Symptoms don’t make a jot of difference so please don’t panic just bc they are reduced, if you’re going to worry in general then anyone would say thats natural but try not to focus on things which aren’t even proven (like lack of symptoms / disappearing symptoms).
Best of luck!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: