Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Can't sleep on either side!

(7 Posts)
Belle81 Wed 13-Jun-18 06:58:24

Hi all

I am 25 + 4 and am really struggling with sleep. I try to go to sleep on my side but start getting a sharp pain in my ribs / back within a few minutes (doesn't seem to matter which side I lay on, I still get it) so then I end up propping myself up right with pillows which helps me get to sleep eventually but then I always wake up on my back so assume I just fall asleep and slide down so then I'm not sleeping well as I am worried about spending all night on my back. Has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions? Or is it just nature's way of getting me used to not having any sleep?! grinThanks all x

BlueBug45 Wed 13-Jun-18 07:02:30

The advice is to put yourself to sleep on your side, and if you wake up on your back (or front) not to worry but turn to your side. People move in their sleep and even those of us who can comfortably sleep on their sides will at some point likely be on our backs (or fronts).

FoxtrotSkarloey Wed 13-Jun-18 07:26:48

I had exactly this at a similar stage and was so worried. Not much I could do, but now I'm further on sleeping on my side has come naturally and on my back is now less comfortable.

JustVent Wed 13-Jun-18 07:34:32

Would one of those large maternity/body pillows help?

I have one for when I pulled the bottom of my back when I wasn’t pregnant. They are great. They are supposed to support your bump and take the pressure off your back.

JustVent Wed 13-Jun-18 07:35:04

(And presumably your ribs!)

TinyTerror1 Wed 13-Jun-18 08:29:24

I use one of the big pillows too. I mostly have it between my knees and ankles to stop back/hip pain but I also use it to sleep at an angle on my back with the pillow for support behind me, which works quite well.

Belle81 Wed 13-Jun-18 08:30:37

Thanks all. Have always been comfortable sleeping on my side to get off to sleep but not anymore. I have one of the pillows which helps with propping myself up. Just one of the joys of pregnancy I guess! smile Thanks everyone x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: