Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Dentist

(17 Posts)
AggyB26 Tue 12-Jun-18 19:38:00

Hi might be stupid question but my dentist refused to put filling in my tooth coz am pregnant 🤰🏼
Is it safe to get your teeth fixed when you pregnant??

MrsH193 Tue 12-Jun-18 19:45:01

I had a crown fitted when I was pregnant, around 12 weeks I think and my dentist said it was fine and there was no issue with local anaesthetic either.

Bluebirdsky Tue 12-Jun-18 19:46:10

My dentist is willing to fill mine, I just keep putting it off!!

Fedupxmum Tue 12-Jun-18 19:46:12

Nope, my dentist wouldn't fix my tooth either and I was in absolute agony!! He just looked at my tooth and told me to come back after the baby sad ... I was told that they are able to give fillings while pregnant so ive no idea why they refused confused

Lavendersblue42 Tue 12-Jun-18 19:49:05

Yes, should be fine. Are also entitled to free NHS care whilst pregnant and for 1 yr after. Rules are due to change on using amalgam fillings in July (think this is because generally trying to reduce mercury emissions in the environment rather than any specific risks for preggers ladies) x

AiredaleFan Tue 12-Jun-18 19:55:31

I thought the whole point of free dental treatment while pregnant was to minimise the risk of infection! Seems bizarre that your dentist is prepared to let you take that risk. I'd go to another dentist (in the same practice to start with) for a second opinion, and consider making a formal complaint about the first.

MoanaofMotunui Tue 12-Jun-18 19:56:02

My dentist didn't want to give me a local when the back of one of my teeth cracked off while pg. But he put a temporary covering on it and then I had to go back after to have it removed and a permanent filling put on.

NoNoCharlieRascal Tue 12-Jun-18 19:59:28

Mine wouldn't while I was pregnant or when I was breastfeeding. Now I'm pregnant again before I could get an appointment so I'm changing dentists to one who will sort my tooth out.

AggyB26 Tue 12-Jun-18 20:42:44

With my first pregnancy I had my tooth pulled out and there was no problem at all
I will try ring my dentist tomorrow and get my tooth fixed coz don't wanna get infection

AggyB26 Tue 12-Jun-18 20:44:37

My dentist look at my tooth and said come back after you had baby, but he said if it's start hurting we will give you some antibiotics
Is it not better to just fix it then be on antibiotics the whole pregnancy

hoping2018 Tue 12-Jun-18 20:45:53

I think the best time for dental procedures is the 2nd trimester? Maybe he didn't feel it was high enough risk of getting infected to risk the local anaesthetic etc? Maybe call and ask his rationale?

AggyB26 Tue 12-Jun-18 20:50:29

He told me that there is a high risk that teeth can get infected, so he just said ring me if it's hurting and we will give you antibiotics
I will ring tomorrow coz am in 2 trimester now

BlueBug45 Tue 12-Jun-18 21:47:46

The dentist is an a-hole. He should explain to you whether it's because you need a local, x-rays and/or anaIgram filling which is why he's refusing to do it.

If it's the latter if you wait until July, if the PP is correct, then you should get a white filling for a back tooth on the NHS. At the moment you have to pay for white fillings in a posterior tooth.

MeadowHay Tue 12-Jun-18 22:23:54

My dentist told me when I was only about 4/5 weeks pregnant when I had my check-up that I needed 3 fillings but she would prefer to wait until baby was born but to review in 6 months. Went back last week, a bit late, and I still need the 3 fillings although she said they are all still only small and to make an appointment as soon as I can once baby is born to have them done (I'm 39 weeks). I assumed it was due to her not wanting to give me the anaesthetic if it can be avoided and I guess as they're only small cavities they're not an emergency. But that's a lot different than if the dentist themselves believes in your situation there is a high infection risk surely? hmm

secretnames Tue 12-Jun-18 22:31:28

my dentist wouldn't fix mine either she just packed it outconfused

Shop Tue 12-Jun-18 22:36:31

I had a really badly infected molar, my dentist gave me a 4 day course of antibiotics. I went back as it was agony after I’d finished the tablets, she refused to give me any more antibiotics as I was pregnant. The only treatment she would offer was a root canal but without anaesthetic!! I was in so much pain and so upset. I ended up at the emergency dentist 2 days letter and had it number and extracted

Thegirlhasnoname Wed 13-Jun-18 07:06:42

Dentists are advised by the department of health to not give or remove amalgam fillings in pregnant women because of the trace amounts of mercury in the filling material (it is fine once it is set though). I only found this out yesterday after booking an emergency dentist appointment for today thanks to a bit of tooth becoming stuck in a soft mint blush but the guidelines are meant to change sometime soon I think

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: