Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

16 week midwife appointment?

(10 Posts)
LittleLoveXoxo Tue 12-Jun-18 10:28:52

hi all! i have my 16 week check up today (although im 17 weeks lol) and i was wondering what actually happens at the check up? will i get to hear the heartbeat finally? i have no idea what to expect! thanks smile

BridgeFarmKefir Tue 12-Jun-18 10:39:36

Mine was v quick and routine - check urine, asked a few questions about how I was feeling, discussed my scan results and out. Whether you get to hear the heartbeat depends on your area - they don't do it where I am. It can be tricky, even for skilled midwives? and if you don't hear anything it can be worrying (when everything is usually fine)

TinyTerror1 Tue 12-Jun-18 11:40:08

Same as PP, very routine. No heartbeat here either (Birmingham).

SoyDora Tue 12-Jun-18 11:41:44

Routine appointment here too. They don’t check heartbeat at any midwife appt in my area but some check from 16 weeks I believe.

hammeringinmyhead Tue 12-Jun-18 12:09:46

Mine did urine, blood pressure and heartbeat. It was a quick one!

Kt2108 Tue 12-Jun-18 12:23:07

In and out in 10 mins, blood pressure, urine test and a quick heartbeat check (south tyneside area, NE)

Britta1 Tue 12-Jun-18 13:09:57

Mine was a quick chat, blood pressure, urine tests and heartbeat. I’m in the NW.

StruggsToFunc Tue 12-Jun-18 14:25:59

Guidelines are not to use a Doppler to listen to foetal heartbeat at 16 weeks but lots of midwives still do. If they do, they will warn you that they will not refer you for a scan if they can't find anything as it is still so hit-and-miss at 16 weeks.

LittleLoveXoxo Tue 12-Jun-18 15:43:26

Hi all! Thank you, mine was about half hour long and she went through lots with me like my last blood tests etc. She even used the Doppler and as soon as she touched my belly we heard a lovely strong heartbeat! Very happy smile xx

jasmin93 Wed 13-Jun-18 18:17:12

Same here as all above. Maybe even less than 10 min...
She did listen to the heartbeat tho and freaked me out. She said: that's a very quick heartbeat. I hope this calls down in the next few weeks. But we won't monitor it until the 25th week....
I had a lot of stress lately (kidney transplant of my husband & selling the business at the same time) that I fear this night have caused serious damage to the baby?
20 week scan tomorrow. My fingers are crossed little one is fine....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: