Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant after taking morning after pill?

(15 Posts)
MyLife2001 Mon 11-Jun-18 09:41:12

I’m 17 and a few days ago I had sex but the condom came off inside me (awkward) but I took Levonelle to be on the safe side and the lady told me that it’s not 100% effective. I have a brain mri on the 4th of July and I know that mri’s are dangerous for baby’s especially in the first trimester however I’m not due on until after the mri so do I take a pregnancy test before it just to be sure? Also how likely am I to be pregnant?

Alookerer Tue 12-Jun-18 18:39:41

I would suspect any pregnancy would be fine

MyLife2001 Tue 12-Jun-18 19:01:49

Sorry I don’t quite understand? You mean you think I could be?

AnnaT45 Tue 12-Jun-18 19:25:57

Without scaring you I'm afraid It's not 100 % effective if you've ovulated already. Check an ovulation calendar to check when you did.

Is your period not due before the mri? Just as that's almost four weeks away? You can do tests a few days before your due but they're not 100% accurate.

If you think you may be then you'll need to tell them before the scan as it may be harmful to a pregnancy

Hopefully you've not nothing to worry about.

ducklife Tue 12-Jun-18 19:46:12

An mri will not be harmful to a pregnancy at all - the only time they would even ask is if you are having an injection of contrast (dye). You can phone the hospital beforehand if you're not sure if this is involved - you should be able to have your scan without it anyway (this is also the case for people with low kidney function)

scaevola Tue 12-Jun-18 19:51:42

It's 3 weeks until 4 July.

If no AF by then, I think you need to talk to the MRI department to find out if you need to be rescheduled. Some scans have to be, if there is the possibility of pregnancy

MyDcAreMarvel Tue 12-Jun-18 19:55:33

If you are not due on until after July 4th it’s highly unlikely you have even ovulated yet. Very much doubt you would have got pregnant anyway.

LiteraryDevil1 Tue 12-Jun-18 20:13:23

Do you have a really long cycle? Only bleed for a couple of days? Or have sex during your period? Your timing doesn't add up if you're not due on until after 3 weeks from now.

Hopskipjumping Tue 12-Jun-18 20:15:54

I had unprotected sex on the day I ovulated, or day before. Took morning after pill within 12 hours and was pregnant. Its more effective I think if you take it before you ovulate.

MyLife2001 Wed 13-Jun-18 06:59:15

I just realised I didn’t work it out correctly I’m due on in just under two weeks.

Guacamoledip Wed 13-Jun-18 08:32:01

Yes it is possible that it’s not effective if you’ve already ovulated but I guess you don’t know your ovulation day.
Don’t panic and if your period is due in less than two weeks take a test when your due on. That will be before the mri and you’ll know for sure.

MyLife2001 Wed 13-Jun-18 08:58:44

Okay, thankyou

ForTheLoveOfCakes Wed 13-Jun-18 09:00:15

MRI is fine in pregnancy. (No radiation)
CT scans are dangerous in pregnancy because of the radiation.

Worth speaking to your doctor if you are concerned

tutufruiti Wed 13-Jun-18 09:32:52

I wouldn't worry too much. You only have a 25% chance of getting pregnant each month anyway even if you are trying. You have also reduced any chance by taking the morning after pill. Yes, it is possible for you to be pregnant but highly unlikely.
I would take a test if your period doesn't arrive and forget worrying about the MRI.

MyLife2001 Wed 13-Jun-18 10:45:04

Okay

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: