Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Nothing seen on ultrasound.

(15 Posts)
CollyWombles Sun 27-May-18 01:09:46

Today has been a whirlwind. I found out I was pregnant at 9am, clear blue digital showed 1-2 weeks. My LMP was only 14 days ago. Ended 10 days ago. All very strange.

By 1pm, I had developed a sharp pain in left side and back ache. Called NHS24, they sent me to out of hours. Hospital did another pregnancy test, also positive. I had a scan, there was nothing on it, other than a thickening of the womb lining.

I have to go back on Friday for another scan. I've been told that I've either miscarried or it's too early to see anything.

My LMP was on time, same flow, same length, the usual. I can't see how that could have been a miscarriage but neither can I see how I could have a positive test on the day I'm due to ovulate. The confusion is real!

Has anyone else experienced this?

Maedoula Sun 27-May-18 04:02:16

Definitely too early to see anything on scan, if preg test says 1-2 weeks then you're actually about 4 weeks pregnant. I wouldn't expect to see anything until at least 5-6 weeks. Womb thickening is a good sign and probably rules out ectopic.

Maybe you got pregnant when you ovulated last cycle and hcg wasn't enough to let your body know you're pregnant so you still had a bleed/period?

Try to stay relaxed, from what you've said so far I don't think you have a cause for concern as of yet.

Maedoula Sun 27-May-18 04:04:03

Definitely too early to see anything on scan, if preg test says 1-2 weeks then you're actually about 4 weeks pregnant. I wouldn't expect to see anything until at least 5-6 weeks. Womb thickening is a good sign and probably rules out ectopic.

Maybe you got pregnant when you ovulated last cycle and hcg wasn't enough to let your body know you're pregnant so you still had a bleed/period?

Try to stay relaxed, from what you've said so far I don't think you have a cause for concern as of yet.

Grumpos Sun 27-May-18 05:11:27

You’re still really early to see much on a scan!
In early pregnancy I was getting all sorts of aches and pains - esp shooting / stabbing pains in lower sides of abdomen (both before and after I found out I was expecting - at 4/5 weeks).
I had a scan at what I thought was 7 weeks and was actually closer to 9 and even then the baby was teenie tiny! Honestly it was like a tiny tiny kidney bean, I’m sure if I’d gone 4 wks before that they’d not have seen anything at all.
Try not to worry, if you’re not having ongoing cramps, pain or bleeding then it’s a good sign! Fingers crossed!

Eminybob Sun 27-May-18 06:06:28

A similar thing happened to me.
I had a tiny bit of spotting about half way though my cycle which prompted me to take a test which was positive. But my lmp was only 2 weeks previously.
I figured I’d either ovulated and fertilised really really early, or I was pregnant from the month before and the period wasn’t a period it was implantation or a very early miscarriage (although I had taken a test the day before that “period” which was negative.

Very much like you, I went for a scan and there was nothing to be seen. They did my bloods every 48 hours and the hcg levels were rising but not doubling.
They did another couple of scans a week apart and nothing ever materialised.
Then my hcg levels started going down they diagnosed a “pregnancy of unknown location”
I started bleeding about 5/6 weeks and that was that.
It was very odd, I still have no idea if the pregancy was from that cycle or the one before.

What they did say is it could have been a possible ectopic, but so early it wasn’t showing on scans. With this in mind, had I not started bleeding naturally they would have given me an injection to dissolve the pregnancy. I didn’t have any pain with it which is why I waited it out.

I really hope there is a different more possitive outcome for you, but I appreciate what a confusing and upsetting time this is flowers

CollyWombles Mon 28-May-18 00:37:13

Thanks all, I think I'm going slightly crazy. Friday seems a life time away. I did a clear blue this morning and the line was quite strong. Friday can't come soon enough, just to have a definite answer.

lrwe Mon 28-May-18 04:23:54

I had a scan at 4 weeks and nothing seen. Next scan 10 days later - sac and yolk. Next scan 10 days after that tiny baby heartbeat.

My CBD was 1-2 weeks as well on my first scan

Iwasjustabouttosaythat Mon 28-May-18 04:38:01

Was it an external scan? An internal scan would show it up.

I remember last time I got pregnant I went for an internal scan at 10 days (IVF so no guesswork). Tiny little heartbeat. And a surprise bump. Told to come back a week later. A week later they found a second little heartbeat. She was just too small at the first scan to detect properly even with an internal scan.

The pain could be anything. Keep calm but I guess you could ask for an internal scan of you’re really desperate?

Geordiegirl1988 Mon 28-May-18 04:43:22

Nothing will be seen till approx 5-6 weeks but more 6 weeks when things will be clearer so don't be disappointed if still nothing shows Friday. Your very very early ! I work in the maternity sonographer dept for early scans

CollyWombles Mon 28-May-18 07:47:05

It was an external scan yes. I did a test this morning and the line was faint. It should be stronger I would think. Perhaps it's been a very early miscarriage after all.

kikibo Mon 28-May-18 16:55:19

If you're worried I'd ask for an internal scan as that can pick up more.

When I went to my ob this time round I was about 4 weeks (same as you) and we saw just a round bubble of about the size of a 20 cent euro coin with an internal ultrasound (they only do internals here until past 12 weeks). Obviously massively magnified probably but still. At 6 weeks we saw a massive irregular blob with an audible heartbeat and at 8 weeks there was something in the blob.

Molliecat15 Mon 28-May-18 17:35:42

I had a very similar experience, tested positive for pregnancy when I expected my period then about two weeks later (my dates would make me 6 weeksih) I started to spot had a scan no baby did bloods 3 days apart and low and behold hcg levels were through the roof after the second blood test. The nurse thinks I ovulated later then I expected and as I had brought an early detection test I caught it right at the beginning which is why there was nothing in the scan. I now have a healthy two year old. Good luck fingers crossed.
Ps my tests never got really strong but have 2 babies regardless.

Littlet07 Mon 28-May-18 19:24:53

Hi congratulations ladies I found out last Monday that me and my husband are pregnant confirmed by the doctor's on the Tuesday 😁 ekk I'm so excited I only can off the pill the 18th April and I had what I think was a period starting the 9th may but I guess could of been a withdrawal bleed as I'm shocked I had a positive test result so early on. So I have no idea how many week pregnant I am it could be 6 good be 3 🙈 can anyone help with this???

Iwasjustabouttosaythat Wed 30-May-18 08:05:43

Congratulations! But I’m slightly concerned that your husband is pregnant too? 😂

RainbowsAndUnicorns23 Sun 03-Jun-18 19:46:32

How did it go Friday?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: