Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Don't want anyone kissing my baby when she's born!

(35 Posts)
Dollydaydream97 Fri 25-May-18 16:05:43

having the worst anxiety over this and I don't even know why I still have 7 weeks to go 🤦🏻‍♀️ But the thought of people kissing her on the lips makes my skill crawl! I mentioned it to my mum and her reaction was 'ow so I'm not even allowed to kiss my own grand daughter ! ' in a proper bitchy way?!? Like seriously do I have to make a sign saying don't kiss my child ! Has anyone else had this issue once baby was born ? can't stop thinking about it

JenBarber Fri 25-May-18 16:07:59

Would anyone really kiss a baby on the lips?

I love the soft bit on the top of the head for kisses.

PotteringAlong Fri 25-May-18 16:08:41

You will have to make a sign, because it won’t cross anyone’s mind that giving a newborn baby a kiss is a problem.

RapunzelsRealMom Fri 25-May-18 16:11:32

I didn't mind family kissing my babies on the head or cheeks but, honestly, no one ever attempted to kiss any of them on the mouth.

TheBogWitchIsBack Fri 25-May-18 16:12:56

I don't think I've ever seen anyone kiss a newborn on the lips.
I think you're are worrying yourself needlessly about this.

SoyDora Fri 25-May-18 16:14:22

Not one single person has ever attempted to kiss either of my babies on the mouth. I don’t think it’s a common thing to do!

Aprilmightbemynewname Fri 25-May-18 16:14:42

Make sure dc has a dummy and tell dm your baby your rules.

Wolfiefan Fri 25-May-18 16:15:06

Why would anyone kiss a baby on the lips? confused

SingingSands Fri 25-May-18 16:17:23

Very close family might give her a little kiss, but it’s probably going to be her hands and head, maybe her cheeks but lips is unlikely I’d say!

flufffysockks Fri 25-May-18 16:19:12

Why are you so worked up over it? It's just a kiss.

missmouse101 Fri 25-May-18 16:21:20

Oh really.... Just calm yourself and quit worrying. Only close family will contemplate kissing, and it will be on cheek or forehead! Babies NEED to build up immunity to normal everyday bacteria which strengthens their immune systems.

ellsharks Fri 25-May-18 16:22:54

I cant help but find this a bit weird. I get that it might not be common to kiss a baby on the lips but if any of my friends or family went to give my baby a smooch it wouldn't have even register in my mind. I can only assume you're worried about spreading germs?

eurochick Fri 25-May-18 16:37:58

I've never seen anyone kiss a baby on the lips.

Dollydaydream97 Fri 25-May-18 17:22:25

Because my mum turns round and said I can't wait to kiss those little lips when I had my 4d scan ! And of course baby's need to build an immunity but I don't want anyone kissing her on the mouth straight after she's been born

SoyDora Fri 25-May-18 17:28:06

Well then the issue here is your mum, because seriously no one has ever tried to kiss my children on the lips.

Dollydaydream97 Fri 25-May-18 17:32:47

@SoyDora
I just wanted to know if it was normal for people to kiss people's baby's on the lips after being born or whether it wasent .

SoyDora Fri 25-May-18 17:33:17

It’s not smile

Undercoverbanana Fri 25-May-18 17:35:33

Who kisses a baby except Mum/Dad, siblings, possibly grandparents?

Hold a baby, yes. Kiss someone else’s baby? No. Weird.

EssentialHummus Fri 25-May-18 17:37:13

Not normal imo and if she tries I think you’d be fine to ask her to keep her kissing to forehead/cheeks.

Undercoverbanana Fri 25-May-18 17:42:33

Oh - I misunderstood. You think someone will want to kiss your baby on the lips. Why? No-one does that.

Raspberryjamming Sat 26-May-18 00:11:25

When my second dd was born my eldest wouldn't let anyone except my mum and partner come near 'my baby sister' or let strangers look in the pram without her permission but she was only 2 and half grin
I guess it's normal to feel protective but I think it's a little too much to tell your mum she can't kiss her own gbaby, I'm sure she won't be snogging her just pecks (unless she smokes heavily then tbh I might be with you on the face kissing)
Don't panic.

Fevs Sat 26-May-18 00:26:58

Totally get this. It’s really dangerous to let anyone kiss a newborn on the lips incase they pass on coldsaws. Some people have the virus without even realising.
You’re the parent so totally within your right to be strict on this and avoid it from happening.
Don’t let it stress you out though, I think once the baby is here you will be able to control most interaction and avoid too many kisses

Beansprout30 Sat 26-May-18 01:16:24

With all due respect I think kisses from nan will be the least of your stresses when baby arrives. I'm sure your mum meant kisses in general not actually on the lips

aetw Sat 26-May-18 06:41:42

It sounds like there are some boundary issues with you mum. If you have expressed that you don’t want that, and it’s your child not hers, then she should respect that. That’s it.

Dollydaydream97 Sat 26-May-18 12:15:06

Hate to be rude but some of you are missing the point , I wanted to know whether it was normal to kiss other people's newborn baby's on the lips because my mum got very pissed off when I said I don't want anyone kissing her lips so yes she had full intentions of kissing her lips...I'm uncomfortable with it because unfortunately she always had cold sores ect and they lay dormant in your system and yes baby's need their immune system built up but let's not go giving the poor child herpes ones she's been born 🤦🏻‍♀️ i just don't see the need to kiss someone else's child forehead and cheeks I'm absolutely fine with how could you not want to kiss a newborns face but the lips are just a no and I simply wanted to know if anyone else felt the same or whether I'm just a weirdo 😂 Thanks all

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: