Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Migraine and early pregnancy help!

(9 Posts)
lolacola13 Wed 23-May-18 19:31:24

Hey guys I'm very very newly preg . Due January and 4-5 weeks. Anyone any experience with migraine and pregnancy ? I usually would take a few a month. I have my treatment down to a fine art.nasal sumatriptan or zolmitriptan tablets that dissolve and a sachet of migramax which is high dose aspirin and metacloprimide that plan has been in place Until this last week or so since I realized the bean appeared in my belly lol.,.. anywho.. have had two migraine in the last week . Must be my rising hormones ( mine are always hormonally triggered)... I took sumatriptan yesterday for migraine as I was desperate from what I can see it isn't a huge risk. Going to talk to doc as I obv can't make a habit of that.. anyone any experience and what ur doc did to tackle it? Xoxoxox

gryffen Wed 23-May-18 19:36:14

Hi lass

I have actually just been admitted to hospital with a 4 day migraine in the last hour lol

I have something called Intercranial hypertension and it's horrid - like a migraine on a migraine. Diagnosed in 2014 and only have had 2 attacks both when pregnant (I'm 28 weeks).

Have you been tested for IIH? - normal route would be bloods and a lumbar puncture to test pressure?

Medication wise and frequency wise in our area you would be consultant based due to the obvious issues of the migraines but not sure of your area so always worth asking if you would be consultant based?

Sorry I'm not much help apart from knowing exactly how you feel but always free to chat!

lolacola13 Wed 23-May-18 19:38:58

Hey thanks for replying I have actually never heard of that although that was the next port of call when I was admitted a few months ago. The o2 and aspirin helped a lot I was on day 5 of it...i think it just ran its course of it's own accord whilst I was in hosp.. I just recall them mentioning lumbar puncture... how are they treating it?? Mine were happening nearly every day for a month .

gryffen Wed 23-May-18 19:57:19

Hiya

Last "attack" I had was in august and it went on for just over two months- urgent appointment and doctors who then refered me to GP receiving at our hospital and 5am next morning had a lumbar puncture to test pressure which was about 60-80.

I've never been on meds for it as it's never come back for some weird reason but the 02 therapy, morphine and lumbar puncture for drainage to lower pressure works for me.

Now I'm in again with same so tomorrow I go see a ophthalmologist and if vision goes then we know it's IIH and a LP maybe done which works for me or I maybe monitored for a day or so on painkillers etc.

Hoping this is just a one time thing again as these really hurt and my vision normally goes in one eye- currently just have what feels like sinus pain right now but it's brutal.

Defo look up IIH on webMD or even Wikipedia is actually good for IIH- also called Benign intercranial hypertension.

With me my rule is hydrate and warm patches over eyes but heat pads over neck.

lolacola13 Wed 23-May-18 20:20:33

I always have neck pain I did wonder at one stage did i need a nerve block in my neck... I am very triggered by my eyes glancing at anything moving or any form of screen for longer than 30 seconds without my glasses will trigger a
Migraine . Weird thing is my prescription in my glasses isn't actually very strong . R they treating it the same now u are preg? I feel guilty I took my sumatriptan nasal spray whilst knowing I was preg. From what I can see it's ok but makes me think surely i can't keep using it . Must talk to doc

gryffen Wed 23-May-18 20:39:50

It's hard for me to know what my trigger is but each time it's been pregnancy lol

With IIH your eyes are checked yearly in hospital and with the eye drops that blur everything for hours but my eyes have always come back clear.

I do get floaters and what I remember snowy tv channels are like (I'm 35 but I remember that lol) and when it's bad my eyesight goes totally.

Defo speak to doctor about medication as some could be fine but I'm not trained and would never say its ok in case - especially with the frequency you have them.

lolacola13 Wed 23-May-18 20:43:17

Aw thanks so much for ur help anyway i hope u feel better soon with ur growing bambino too! Yes booking docs as I need referral to midwives and ask about medication plan . Bloody awful. 😩❤️. I have ice pack on back of neck is helping

gryffen Wed 23-May-18 22:32:26

Defo mention the frequency of migraine as it could mean consultant based for a bit until they calm down and extra scans etc (which can revert back to midwife care!)

Cool pad at ready here too - and now a Clexane injection each day for the next 10 weeks 🤣🤣🤣🤣🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

lolacola13 Wed 23-May-18 23:25:42

Oh I don't envy u, you poor thing. Yes frequency is ridiculous for me..I defo want to be midwifery led. My last birth was at the birthing Centre in the water easy breezy natural birth and left to my own devices in my own en suite room . But needs must ! To doctors I go eh!... again 🙄

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: