Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Thrush in pregnancy

(8 Posts)
dancingunicorns123 Wed 23-May-18 14:02:38

Sorry might be tmi but midwife said I've got thrush but booking a doctors appointment in my area is a nightmare, can I get treatment from a chemist? If so can I used my mat exemption card and still get it free? Thanks

SPARKS17 Wed 23-May-18 14:08:16

Yes thrush treatment is available over the counter, my midwife recommended the pessary and a cream. The pessary alone sorted it out.

You can't use your exemption card on over the counter medicines, I know new guidelines have just come in about what GPs can and cant prescribe on prescription and if its easily available over the counter its unlikely to be prescribed unless its for a regular recurring issue.

rosegeorgia21 Wed 23-May-18 16:30:52

@SPARKS17 did you use the pessary whilst pregnant? My doc advised against that in case I put it up to far.. haha. But then today I got prescription and it was a pessary!! So I don't know is it safe to use or not?

SPARKS17 Wed 23-May-18 16:35:48

@rosegeorgia21 yes I did, my midwife said to use my fingers but I didn't fancy it so used the applicator and put it in an inch or so. They dont want you to push it in too far, but its fine to use during pregnancy and if I comes back I would use the pessary again!

rosegeorgia21 Wed 23-May-18 16:37:46

@SPARKS17 ok thank you! That helps a lot. X

Gem173 Wed 23-May-18 16:56:06

I used the pessary and the cream, but had it prescribed by a doctor and a midwife. I did just go to a normal walk in centre but they couldn’t prescribe anything or advise me on which one was suitable during pregnancy -.-

SomebodysNotInBedYet Wed 23-May-18 19:09:01

I bought the pessary while wearing DP's hoody to cover my tummy. I knew what was wrong, knew the treatment was safe and didn't want to waste the doctor's time (and mine).

Dollydaydream97 Wed 23-May-18 19:19:10

Exactly same as above poster^^ I sent my partner to get me some yesterday as I haven't got the time to sit on the phone in a waiting que for an appointment for a doctor appointment and I feel a pharmacy sees your pregnant they won't sell you it unless it's on prescription by your doctor which is silly! As I called them yesterday ( pharmacy ) and said what will I be able to buy for thrush during pregnancy and she said with an attitude I'm not allowed to tell you sorry! and being in an itchy sore mess I called the maternity unit and said they need to advise me as I'm going mental with pain and they said canesten cream and pessary but not the oral tablet and to not use the pessary applicator ? the long white thing to push it in with

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: