Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Travel insurance and flying third trimester

(10 Posts)
surreygirl1987 Mon 21-May-18 21:52:45

Hi all

I'm hopefully going on holiday to the Greek Islands when I'll be around 29 weeks until around 31 and a half weeks. Does anyone have any advice re insurance?

Also how do you deal with flights if they want a 'fit to fly'? It seems a note like that needs signing within a week of travel; fine for the outward journey but what about the return leg? If anyone has been in this situation and has any advice I'd be really grateful. I don't want to be stuck abroad or be thrown off a flight!!

PS I know some people might think I should just go away for a week or go earlier but I'm a schoolteacher so have the summer hols, and really want to make the most of one final 'big' trip before my life changes forever!

BlueBug45 Tue 22-May-18 03:11:54

The note from your GP or midwife, which you may have to pay for, just confirms you have low risk pregnancy. No medical professional will confirm you are fit to fly as such as they risk getting sued for the airlines and/or travel insurers costs if you do go into labour early. How long it is valid for depends on the airline. So you need to go online and check your specific airlines rules. If you are confused then ring them and ask. If you do need another note on the way back then you need to arrange and pay a Greek doctor to provide you with one. I suggest you take your antenatal notes with you.

In regards to travel insurance you need to ring up the insurer and find out what it will cover and where, as in what hospital, they will cover it for if you do go into labour early. Be aware while the insurer will cover you, once the baby is delivered they can refuse to cover their costs due to them being a separate individual.

ladybug92 Tue 22-May-18 03:34:37

Advice from previous pp was correct in my case. I flew at 28w longhaul and returned at 31w and got a medical certificate from both sides however no one asked me for it! Perhaps as I carried quite small.
I had a family memeber who practices as a GP write my note up while I was overseas.
I am flying again and this time anticipate to be 27w-29w as I don't want to risk it. Will still get paperwork from both sides.

I just have normal travel insurance and hope nothing will happen. I am low risk so not too much to worry about.

TroubledLichen Tue 22-May-18 04:24:20

Echo what ladybug said. I flew at 32 weeks, wasn’t asked for anything. I did have standard insurance but didn’t bother looking into the policy in depth as it was only to France and we have family/property there. Didn’t get a certificate for the way back as it didn’t occur to me that I needed one (oops!).

TroubledLichen Tue 22-May-18 04:50:06

Actually just looked this up on the BA website and it doesn’t sound as if you’d need another certificate for the return journey:
We recommend that you carry a confirmation from your doctor or midwife, such as a letter or certificate, in addition to your pregnancy record. This should be written within 7-10 days prior to travel and confirm your approximate due date, that you're fit to travel and that there are no complications with your pregnancy. This letter covers you for your entire journey, unless there are any complications with your pregnancy that requires medical intervention. Only then, would you be required to obtain an updated letter from the doctor that treated you.
www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/travel-assistance/medical-conditions-and-pregnancy

Obviously if you’re not travelling BA then check with your specific airline but the policies tend to be broadly the same so hopefully you won’t have to see a Greek doctor!

TheyCanGoInTheBucket Tue 22-May-18 05:41:06

We found M&S did very good insurance that wasn't too expensive. Had a fit to fly note from GP but no one asked for it or looked at it.

TheyCanGoInTheBucket Tue 22-May-18 05:41:52

Oh and I carried MASSIVE so I defo looked about to pop!

Bluebellysmell Tue 22-May-18 12:14:23

At that gestation make sure you declare your pregnancy to your travel insurers and that they confirm baby would also be covered if it decided to make an early appearance (I don't think this is always the case).

butterflycatcher Tue 22-May-18 13:59:54

I flew with Easyjet at 31-32 weeks and whilst they do not require you to produce a fit to fly letter at all, it was stipulated in our travel insurance policy wording that one was required. It also said that it could be issued by a doctor or midwife but this isn't always the case and sometimes only a letter from a doctor is accepted. So if anything had happened our insurance would have been invalidated if I had not got one regardless of the airline's policy. Book an appointment to see your doctor or midwife a day or two before your travel date well in advance as appointment availability at the last minute is a nightmare.

surreygirl1987 Tue 22-May-18 17:57:48

Thanks so much for all the replies. Will ring to investigate insurance this eve/tomorrow. Great advice here- much appreciated.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: