Talk

Advanced search

Obstetric cholestasis - scared

(18 Posts)
Kittypillar Wed 25-Apr-18 00:36:34

Hi all,

Posting super late I know but really needing a hand-hold sad feeling ridiculously worried...

Just got back from the hospital after reduced movements and also been itching like absolute mad. Anyway, long story short, blood test results seem to be indicating obstetric cholestasis - they've started treatment right away, BA levels were 35 and ALT levels were 496 (which from what I've read on Dr Google - bad idea I know - is crazy high sad )

I'm booked in for an urgent appointment at the day assessment unit tomorrow AM for a scan of my liver, more bloods and to discuss induction date.

Kittypillar Wed 25-Apr-18 00:37:33

Sorry, posted too soon! But guess I just wanted to add that I'm feeling scared and any reassurance now would be really appreciated. sad

Bosabosa Wed 25-Apr-18 00:39:52

Hello, this happened to a relative and baby was whisked out
At 36 weeks and all was well.
Baby now a pre schooler .
It’s great they caught it (it isn’t always) and you’ll now get the right treatment.
How many weeks are you?

Kittypillar Wed 25-Apr-18 00:49:08

I'm 36+6. So all happening quite late in my pregnancy. I know the doctor I spoke to this evening did say they were aware that time was of the essence.

ClareB83 Wed 25-Apr-18 01:20:13

Oh gosh you're full term tomorrow you and baby will be absolutely fine xx

The8thMonth Wed 25-Apr-18 04:04:50

As you're full term, things should be fine. I got obstetric cholestasis diagnosed at 39 weeks. I gave birth spontaneously before they could schedule the induction. They monitored me more closely after it was diagnosed by my GP. I had gone to the GP for something completely unrelated to pregnancy but was scratching my palms. So they tested me.

I had a hospital checkup every day. Spent a few hours being monitored, given some drugs and sent home with a kick chart to monitor movement. Repeat the next day. Baby was born 5 days after OC diagnosis.

Strangely, I didn't get obstetric cholestasis again with my second pregnancy.

Now pregnant with third, and no sign of OC yet.

Kittypillar Wed 25-Apr-18 06:04:22

Thank you, that's reassuring. I think weirdly the thing that scared me most is the ALT levels - nearly 500 when they should be 10-50 sad I tried to look up to see what other people who have had OC have had results wise for ALT and all I could find with results like that were talking about liver failure and HELLP syndrome (totally aware googling was a very stupid thing to do, regretting it now!)

willisurvive3under2 Wed 25-Apr-18 07:52:52

Just had the same. Diagnosed at 35 weeks, tried (and failed) to control with drugs, consultant appointment at 36+5 showed my ALT were 419. Induction booked for 24 hours later at 36+6.

Babies (twin girls) born last week at 37 weeks exactly. Perfectly healthy babies, just needed a couple of days in SCBU because of low birth weight (which probably won't happen with one baby!). My symptoms disappeared straightaway.

Your baby is safe to come out now, you'll be absolutely fine. xx

foreverclockwatching Wed 25-Apr-18 07:57:21

I had this. Induced at 39 weeks. Close monitoring of dd (heart rate etc.) but all fine, she is currently 'hiding' while I try not to puke with morning sickness and #2

Kittypillar Wed 25-Apr-18 13:35:58

Thanks everyone. Induction now provisionally booked in for in a week's time. Wasn't quite as quickly as they implied they may want to do it originally, does that sound like the right amount of time given my levels? Was so zonked today that I didn't really challenge it.

The8thMonth Wed 25-Apr-18 14:10:25

Presumably you have started medication and your liver function is improving? Have they retested your liver function since starting meds? I'm sure this was why I was not immediately C-sectioned. The medication was helping with my liver. Are you getting additional monitoring?

Kittypillar Wed 25-Apr-18 15:30:11

Haven't had any blood tests since as they said it would be too soon to see any improvement sad need to go back in on Friday to see if there's been any improvement. Been prescribed Urso, plus a table and cream to help with the itching.

Kittypillar Wed 25-Apr-18 15:30:26

*tablet

IveGotNoClothes Wed 25-Apr-18 15:44:50

Had this too.

I was as far gone as you were, weirdly I found out because of a "hunch", I had my DS at 37+3.

He's now a year old

NancyNoo32 Wed 25-Apr-18 17:37:57

I have this. 36+4 now and having a c section next Friday when I'll be 37+6. I found out at 31 weeks and have been on Urso which has really reduced my levels. The consultant explained to me that it's only really a risk if it goes undiagnosed, and the fact they are treating it and monitoring it (and inducing you early) means that it's nothing to worry about. I also have gestational diabetes and a transverse (sideways) baby- I'm practically living at the hospital at the moment but the monitoring is reassuring! Try not to worry too much, I know it's hard. And stay off Google. wink

Kittypillar Wed 25-Apr-18 22:00:40

Definitely need to stay off Google!! grin

Good luck with your c-section next week @NancyNoo32! Hope it all goes well!

Muddlingalongalone Wed 25-Apr-18 22:08:28

Don't panic - and weirdly, be thankful you're only getting the hideous itching so late in your pregnancy.
I had OC in both pregnancies. Was under the consultant for dd1 who was happy for me to go to 40 weeks before induction and with dd2 I had twice weekly blood tests and they went into panic mode at 37 + 4 and said I had to be induced by 38 weeks and then had no beds in delivery from sat am to Mon 4pm - wasn't that desperately urgent!
There's a fb group that's great for info andxtgey do research as well

RainbowCake Wed 25-Apr-18 22:28:46

Try not to worry too much, easier said than done I know!
I had this with my last pregnancy though was diagnosed around 30 weeks I think so had lots of blood tests and monitoring. I was induced at 37 weeks. I now have a strapping nearly 13 year old!
Good luck.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: