Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone used spatone ?

(18 Posts)
Praisebe Mon 23-Apr-18 02:15:04

My GP has said im really low in iron and to try an iron supplement but im not sure which one to go for. So far the spatone liquid sachets look the most promising but do they work ?

DoneDisappeared Mon 23-Apr-18 02:18:24

They're much gentler on the system then pills - I'd try then first. (They've worked for me)

Praisebe Mon 23-Apr-18 02:25:51

I can't even swallow pills at the moment because of morning sickness so I'll order the spatone thanks

villainousbroodmare Mon 23-Apr-18 03:33:43

Take double dose of Spatone ( in every pharmacy) and get your iron checked again in 4 to 6 weeks. If still low push hard for an iv iron drip. I was so anaemic and washed out despite taking a lot of iron supplements for months and eventually got iv iron which made such a great difference to my energy levels. It's v hard to correct significant anaemia in pregnancy and there is a strong link between anaemia and PND which I can well believe.

londongirl12 Mon 23-Apr-18 03:41:03

I had to take it in pregnancy. I had the apple flavour as it's not the nicest tasting, but it's only a little sachet. All it is is water with a high iron content. Expensive water!! Lol

Praisebe Mon 23-Apr-18 04:43:36

2 a day ? On the box its says 1 a day and i am eating plenty of spinach and kale to boost it too. The ones ive ordered are the apple ones as it says they have vitamin C in them to help it absorb

Praisebe Mon 23-Apr-18 04:44:23

Id rather pay for expensive water than try swallow a gross tablet and end up puking

huha Mon 23-Apr-18 04:53:54

Brilliant stuff. I used in all 3 of my pregnancies and my iron levels were stable or increased. Definitely recommend!

ThatsNotEvenAWord Mon 23-Apr-18 05:26:46

I used to have it mixed in orange juice as the vitamin c helps asborption. Helps the taste too! I cut way back on my tea and coffee too as they can inhibit iron or so I read.

Praisebe Mon 23-Apr-18 05:31:01

I drink a lot of raspberry leaf tea each day but planning on taking the supplement before bed when i haven't had tea for a few hours so it can absorb overnight

AlecOrAlonzo Mon 23-Apr-18 05:35:28

Two a day when pregnant. In a small glass of orange juice and knock it back was how I had it. It does work. Usually cheaper to bulk buy on Amazon. I was taking tablets too and ended up with an impacted bowel. So painful. The Spatone is much better.

Sharpstagram Mon 23-Apr-18 05:37:22

You can take 2 during pregnancy I think it says in the leaflet. I had 2 in orange juice every morning on an empty stomach and it didn't take long before I felt like I had more energy. Definitely preferable to those iron tablets they prescribed me 😷

Buxbaum Mon 23-Apr-18 05:46:52

Definitely two a day if your levels are low. Floradix liquid is good too.

londongirl12 Mon 23-Apr-18 06:47:51

@Praisebe don't you have to be careful drinking raspberry leaf tea in pregnancy??? I was told not to drink it.

Praisebe Mon 23-Apr-18 06:57:41

Its what got me pregnant in the 1st place and i have miscarried twice in the past due to a thin lining so it's keeping my lining thick so i don't miscarry again my GP is fine with it

Bowlofbabelfish Mon 23-Apr-18 07:04:24

It’s not high enough in iron to boost a really low level. It’s 5mg per sachet - you need the 100mg tablets either daily or every other day depending on actual ferritin level if you’re really low.

I would not rely on it to increase iron levels - it’s probably fine if your iron levels are OK and you just want to maintain them but you are unlikely to resolve genuine anaemia with it. Ditto floradix.

The tablets are unpleasant - I am currently pregnant, anaemic and suffering from HG so I hate taking them. You can ask the pharmacist for the enterocoated ones which are slightly less harsh on the system.

holycheeseplant Mon 23-Apr-18 09:49:05

It's two a day but iirc it's not enough if you're really anaemic. If you do take it You're right to keep well away from tea and also any calcium containing foods for a good hour or so (so no milk) and take with orange juice.

However I believe there's recent research on taking prescribed iron tablets every other day being more effective as the body can only absorb so much. It's in one of the parts of this recent radio programme:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09ply54

Not sure how a gp would go about it though. If you're that low they normally prescribe some tablets for you?

holycheeseplant Mon 23-Apr-18 09:51:36

Full report About 16 mins in to that link.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: