Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

'Tight' feeling at bottom of bump

(7 Posts)
MeadowHay Thu 19-Apr-18 20:52:21

I'm 31 weeks pregnant and just the last few hours I've got a feeling of tightness or mild pressure in the very bottom part of my bump. At first I thought it was just discomfort from my PJ bottoms digging in a bit as they're not maternity ones, and it does seem to be a bit less uncomfortable when I hold the band away from my bump, but it is still there. Is this something I should get checked out pretty urgently or just normal stretching etc? It's my first pregnancy. I've got my belated 31 week appointment with the midwife on Monday.

pastabest Thu 19-Apr-18 20:58:10

Brixton Hicks most likely?

pastabest Thu 19-Apr-18 20:58:55

Or braxton hicks as they were known pre autocorrect

MeadowHay Thu 19-Apr-18 21:01:46

I did think that as a possibility but I thought they would feel like 'on-and-off' as they're contractions? Or is that not how it works? This feels like a permanent dull squeeze type thing. Sorry I really am clueless blush.

MeadowHay Thu 19-Apr-18 21:56:32

Well I called the midwife triage in the end and they said they reckon it's just PGP and come to mention it I do have some discomfort further down in my hips and tops of thighs too so that's probably right.

pastabest Thu 19-Apr-18 22:32:52

Well it could actually be a bit of both.

I'm currently 33 weeks (DC2) and much like DC1 getting lots of uncomfortable tightenings, my bump going hard etc. Sometimes it's only fleeting and sometimes it can be for quite some time and be quite uncomfortable.

I had mild PGP with DC1 (thankfully seem to have avoided it this time) and it felt more like I had been doing the splits too much, and was a separate feeling to the tight/pressure feeling I felt at other times which I assumed was Braxton Hicks.

The top and bottom of it is though that the third trimester can generally just be a bit weird and uncomfortable. You did the right thing calling triage and you should never ignore pain, but also try and remember your body is preparing to push a whole human out in a few weeks time and things need to stretch a bit grin.

Kudos for still fitting in non maternity PJs too! Perhaps might be time to change to something a bit looser though as they are probably contributing to you feeling less than comfortable.

MeadowHay Fri 20-Apr-18 18:59:36

Oh I don't actually fit into them, they're an elasticated waist and I have just been wearing them right at the bottom of my bump, practically on my hips! But they are digging in a bit even there now. We are really not in a great position financially so have been trying to buy as little maternity stuff as possible really.

Thanks for your help though. It is hard to know what is normal and what is not when it's my first pregnancy. I don't want to be neurotic about everything but then I don't want to ignore something and have it turn out I should have got checked! I haven't had the feeling since last night now either.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: