Talk

Advanced search

Gush of blood at 12 weeks? Terrified!

(150 Posts)
CobaltRose Sun 08-Apr-18 20:55:30

Hi everyone.

I'm 11+5 with my first child. About an hour and a half ago I stood up from the sofa and felt a 'gush' down there. Initially thinking I'd wet myself, I went to the bathroom only to discover bright red blood! sad

Over the next few minutes it reduced to spotting, and now it SEEMS to have stopped. I'm not in any pain whatsoever and I'm still feeling nauseous and my boobs are still sore, but I'm terrified I'm losing the baby sad

I tried calling the antenatal clinic at my local hospital and my midwife, but both lines were busy. I then called 111 and am still waiting for a call back. I'm terrified I'm having a miscarriage sad

Any positive stories about bleeding in pregnancy? Thanks flowers

eurgh Sun 08-Apr-18 20:58:13

I bled in both pregnancies, the first time, A LOT! Bed was covered in blood. Of course I think you need to be checked out to be on the safe side but with me baby was fine. thanks

Newmrs22 Sun 08-Apr-18 20:59:47

Didn't want to read and run. This hasn't happened to me but my midwife said any bleeding before 16 weeks to go to A&E as maternity unit won't see before 16 weeks. although if it's only spotting now I'd maybe wait for the 111 call back.

I've read lots of stories about bleeding being ok, so fingers crossed for you flowers

OrangeHorses Sun 08-Apr-18 21:02:17

Yes I bled about three times in early pregnancy. One of them was around 13 weeks so very close to you. Everything was fine and my little girl is nearly one now.

(I did miscarry in another pregnancy but I didn't bleed at all.)

Sending a big hug thanks

dementedma Sun 08-Apr-18 21:02:20

i had a bleed at 12 weeks and went to hospital. They said possible miscarriage but would have to wait for scan next day. Agonising wait ut pleased to report tht all was well. He is 16 now!
Best of luck. Fingers crossed for you

fabulous01 Sun 08-Apr-18 21:09:05

I don’t have bleeding but I know lots of girls who had. Plantation etc

Book an appointment and get everything looked at but i am sure it will be fine

Good luck

zaalitje Sun 08-Apr-18 21:11:22

I had something similar at 8 weeks, heavy gush of blood, no pains or cramps, that then slowed to spotting.
I was convinced that it was another miscarriage but a scan the next day at epu showed a heartbeat, I'm now getting on to 33 weeks! I was warned there could be a further bleed, but that didn't happen.
Hope yours has the same outcome x

zaalitje Sun 08-Apr-18 21:12:13

It's called a subchorionic haematoma.

ClareB83 Sun 08-Apr-18 21:12:58

Check the opening hours of your early pregnancy unit. Mine is Monday to Friday 8-12. They're the only ones who'll give you a scan at 11 weeks, but you need a referral from your GP or A&E.

So if yours has similar hours I would get down to A&E about 7am tomorrow to get referred and be in the EPU queue early.

I had big bleeds at 9 and 11 weeks. Babies were fine but only the scan will tell you this. You'll also get advice eg mine was a subchorionic bleed and I got told to rest, avoid stairs etc.

With one I went straight to A&E in the evening and it just meant waiting ages for a letter I could take to EPU in the morning.

CathyandHeathcliff Sun 08-Apr-18 21:13:33

Hope everything is okay flowers

holdmybeer Sun 08-Apr-18 21:14:21

Didn't want to read and run. I've had 4 pregnancies and bled in all of them, 2 ended in miscarriage and 2 in my dc. With dc2 I had a "gush" at 8 weeks and another a few days later and he is a happy healthy toddler now.
The only way to know if everything is ok is to get yourself checked and that can often take a few days. It is a sickening horrible time flowers

Mum8515 Sun 08-Apr-18 21:26:48

I had this in my first pregnancy around the 9/10week mark & I went to the hospital thinking the worst, midwife stupidly before examining me said I've probably miscarried & would I 'like to have it taken out' her exact words! angry I demanded for a scan & got one finally after a hour wait & everything was fine. Examiner put it down to getting up to quickly from when I was sitting or stressing.

OP please don't think the worst, I would call triage in the morning or if you don't need a appointment then try & visit in the morning flowers

I also had a bleed couple of days ago not a lot but red blood, (second pregnancy) I'm 7 weeks & got checked out & everything was fine.

Will be thinking of you x

CobaltRose Sun 08-Apr-18 21:57:44

Thanks everyone. Gave up on 111 as I was still waiting for a call back after three hours! I called the labour ward at my local hospital instead and have been booked in for a scan on Tuesday morning.

Thankfully the bleeding has now stopped. Now we wait sad

bellsbuss Sun 08-Apr-18 22:12:44

I had this in 2 of my pregnancies , the last one was at 17 weeks. Didn't feel a gush but went for a wee and when I stood up there was bright red blood in the pan and lots when I wiped. Was shaking with fright and OH drove me straight to the hospital. Went to the maternity wing and they scanned me within 30 mins and baby was fine. They said it was very common but kept me in overnight as it was gone midnight when we arrived. They even let OH stay with me, luckily our eldest was 17 and could look after our younger 2. I then had brownish blood for the next 3 days but no pain and baby was born at the right gestation Good luck hope all is ok

WobblyLondoner Sun 08-Apr-18 23:00:59

Am thinking of you - it is a horrible thing to go through and I really wish you all the best at the scan. Like a pp I had a subchorionic haematoma.at c 8 weeks. Massive gush of blood (on a 5 hour train journey no less). I really thought I'd lost my baby but the remainder of the pregnancy was ok. All my fingers crossed for you.

Zarya Sun 08-Apr-18 23:16:54

Fingers crossed for you.

I also had a bleed 13 +2 weeks with DS. Stood up at work and had a gush and some heavy clotting, lasted about a day. Scan on day 1 gave all clear then had a massive clot the next morning which we kept and midwife checked.

All was ok. Gush was just because all of the blood was pooling and standing up made it come rushing. They never confirmed why the bleed, but have read since that cervix can more sensitive and bleed much easily. DH and I may have celebrated getting past 12 weeks with a quick shag 2 nights before and that might have been the cause..... hmm

Also had a bleed 2nd time around due to falling on my butt on the stairs and bouncing down a few. Bruised my bum, probably fractured my cocyx @ 7weeks. Scan confirmed baby was fine though!

Flyingchimps Sun 08-Apr-18 23:37:42

I had something similar happen to me at 13 weeks- I was teaching and felt the blood in the middle of a lesson, had to stay calm for the second half of the lesson and then go check and clear myself up. I was similar to you after the initial gush there wasn’t much so I went to the GP after work and got checked over (he actually managed to pick up the heartbeat on the Doppler!) and was sent on my way. It was the first time I had actually heard the heartbeat so it ended up being an amazing experience after a traumatic morning!

Sushirolls Sun 08-Apr-18 23:46:31

flowers OP x

Loosemoose28 Mon 09-Apr-18 00:09:59

I had a gush at 10 weeks no cause found. I have had multiple bleeds during this pregnancy but currently sat on my birthing ball gulping down gaviscon at 38 weeks.

Hope all ok OP call early pregnancy in the morning x

CuppaSarah Mon 09-Apr-18 07:34:00

My sil had a massive bleed at 12 weeks, it was massive and she was pretty convinced she had miscarried. Turned out she had a subchronic haematoma and bled on and off till 20 weeks till it disappeared.

My nephew is a healthy, opinionated nearly 3 year old now. Certainly no ill effects from the haematoma.

CobaltRose Mon 09-Apr-18 07:49:12

Hi everyone, thank you so much for the kind and supportive comments flowers

I've had no more bleeding during the night, aside from some slight brown spotting when wiping. Still not in any pain and still getting plenty of pregnancy symptoms, so I'm hoping everything is okay sad

This wait for the scan is agonising... I'm just waiting for the cramping to start sad

ClareB83 Mon 09-Apr-18 07:57:57

I know how awful the wait is, I had a long haul flight and then an overnight wait for a scan after my first bleed.

Try to take solace in all the positive stories and the lack of pain.

CobaltRose Mon 09-Apr-18 09:26:45

I'm still getting brown blood when I wipe, but nothing on a pad and still no pain. Not sure if the blood turning brown is good or bad.. sad

ClareB83 Mon 09-Apr-18 10:20:44

It's good. Means it's just old blood being tidied up.

ineedamoreadultieradult Mon 09-Apr-18 10:25:15

I had this in both pregnancies, in the second it was like someone had turned on a tap! Both pregnancies resulted in perfectly healthy babies. I know the waiting is horrific though so look after yourself.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »