Talk

Advanced search

Another growth scan...

(12 Posts)
clementine100 Thu 22-Mar-18 15:01:03

My midwife measured my bump 'by eye' at my 34 week check-up, and on that basis ordered me a growth scan. Is that a bit ridiculous or has this happened to other women?

For info, I had a growth scan about a month ago (following a tape measurement that suggested the baby was below lower quartile) and the baby was perfectly sized for her age.

Mooana Thu 22-Mar-18 15:46:05

I had either weekly or twice-monthly growth scans from 20-weeks until 37 weeks in my last pregnancy. At 37 weeks I told them I'd had enough and they respected that decision.

They threatened that baby was going to be too small etc. She was born 7lb 13! At around the same time my friend was given a warning of a big baby and pushed towards being induced rather than risk baby getting any bigger. Her baby was born at 7lb 2!
So in my experience, growth scans are wildly changeable and inaccurate. They're just a guide!

And likewise some women have bigger bumps than others (my friend was huge, which is why they kept panicking about big baby!).

It sounds to me a bit like they're just keeping tabs on things - which is wonderful. But also, I wouldn't put too much stock on what they tell you until babe arrives smile Although that's obviously all anecdotal!

Best of luck!

clementine100 Thu 22-Mar-18 15:56:34

@Mooana thank you! smile

I was just a bit 🤨 at the fact that the midwife measured me by looking at my bump and on that basis decided my exact measurement...

ForeverHopeful21 Thu 22-Mar-18 16:03:23

Measured by eye!! Seriously?? That's ridiculous. How did she document the measurement in your notes if she didn't take one?

I was sent for a growth scan a few weeks ago because bump came up a tiny bit small with tape measure. The scan showed baby was perfect size. Although it was nice to know everything was ok I did feel as though it was a bit silly sending me for a scan when I was only a tiny bit under on the growth chart, even the Sonographer was annoyed!

Newtothismumthing Thu 22-Mar-18 16:06:19

There's no real way of knowing how big baby is! I had regular growth scans due to gestational diabetes and they estimated my baby's weight (2 days before he was born) to be 7lbs 2. He was born 5lb 12!!! Try not to worry too much. Your body has grown this baby, your body can birth this baby!

clementine100 Thu 22-Mar-18 17:16:10

It's such a faff going into the hospital for a growth scan - lots of waiting around (as they have to slot you in between appointments) and the sonographer looks peeved.

I might not bother with this growth scan then and see how the 36 week measurement goes. Will insist the midwife uses a tape measure this time!

Zeelove Thu 22-Mar-18 17:23:56

Had growth scans all through my pregnancy. Had one the night before he was born. It's said he was touching four pounds. He was born by planned c section the next morning weighing almost 6 pound. Don't worry about it and use it as another chance to see your baby smile

WowIFreelStrange Thu 22-Mar-18 17:24:14

measuring by eye is a very strange thing to do... people carry completely diffrently. maybe you're just carrying baby in your back.

the growth scans won't hurt bub tho. I had one with ds2 every 2 weeks.

congratulations and good luck!!!

Fionz Fri 23-Mar-18 23:30:53

My son measured 52cm at birth and weighed 7.6lb, my daughter also measured 52cm at birth and weighed 8.6lb. I am 23 weeks pregnant with baby no. 3 and don't have much faith in them judging her weight by her measurement!

Loosemoose28 Fri 23-Mar-18 23:46:46

Third trimester scan have inaccuracies upto 20%. Unfortunately for now that and a tape measurw are the only ways of finding babies with growth concerns.

Clickncollect Fri 23-Mar-18 23:52:30

Although I agree that measuring by eye is odd, personally I was happy with any/every scan going for reassurance and didn't see them as a hassle whatsoever.

Hotpinkangel19 Sat 24-Mar-18 09:04:22

Growth scans aren't accurate anyway.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: