Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

10 weeks and weeing a lot at night

(17 Posts)
ER1992 Thu 22-Mar-18 08:14:23

I'm now 10 weeks pregnant and for the last week I've been having to get up about 3 times during the night for a wee. I'm not having to go any more than usual during the day. Is this normal? Have read about pregnancy diabetes and have started to worry

TwittleBee Thu 22-Mar-18 08:19:14

Oh bless you, it can be normal. I remember I had to get up to pee in the night throughout first trimester. Died down during second and started again in third.

Gestational diabetes unfortunately carries same symptoms as pregnancy anyway. But some of the affects on baby can be picked up on your 12 week scan or a later one.

Have you had your 1st antenatal appointment yet? They usually screen for gestational diabetes then and determine if they need to test your blood for it.

If you really are worried you could phone your MW and talk to her about getting a blood test done

ER1992 Thu 22-Mar-18 08:47:24

Thanks for reply. I had my 1st midwife appointment last week. She took bloods and urine sample and haven't heard anything so assuming all is ok. Got Drs appointment next week so will double check with him that they came back ok. My 12 week scan (although I'll be 13 weeks) is in 3 weeks time so I will mention it then if I'm still the same. Hopefully all ok and it's just another pregnancy symptom

TwittleBee Thu 22-Mar-18 09:12:00

Honestly you will end up convincing yourself you have about a hundred different things by the end of it all.

I was convinced I had pre eclampsia because I had such swollen feet and ankles. My MW laughed at me (in a nice way) when I told her my worries because in reality they were just mildly swollen from the summer heat and carrying extra weight.

SomebodysNotInBedYet Thu 22-Mar-18 10:39:11

In the first trimester you need to wee more because of hormonal changes and as the pregnancy progresses the baby/uterus puts pressure on the bladder. Some people find it eases up in the second trimester (not me lol).

Charlie8888 Thu 22-Mar-18 11:56:28

Hi I had this as well! In weeks 8-12 I was getting up 3 or more times everynight. I'm now at 14 weeks and getting up twice a night on average. I do find I need to go more in the day as well. I think it's just the bladder has less room than it did before.

Minkies13 Thu 22-Mar-18 12:38:22

In the first 11 weeks I was averaging 5 trips to the loo in the night. It was very frustrating, but by then end I managed to only half wake up for it, so getting back to sleep was easy.

Doublechocolatetiffin Thu 22-Mar-18 12:45:01

It’s completely normal and down to the hormone changes. It might get better in the second trimester, before returning with a vengeance in the 3rd! I think it’s natures way of prepping you for a newborn grin

Fruitcocktail6 Thu 22-Mar-18 17:37:27

I'm 12 weeks and peeing 4-5 times a night. Luckily I can fall back to sleep pretty much immediately but it does leave me feeling groggy in the day. Trips to the toilet haven't increased during the day though, I read somewhere it was something to do with lying down.

JennyOnAPlate Thu 22-Mar-18 17:39:27

Perfectly normal op, no need to worry. By week 32 I was peeing every flipping hour all night.

Baby2018 Thu 22-Mar-18 22:04:41

I thought it was normal, Im 13 weeks I pee at least 3 times a night I wouldn't worry, the only thing I dont like about it is having to get out of a nice warm bed!

Hawkmoth Thu 22-Mar-18 22:08:53

1st trimester - baby in same space as bladder - wee more often
2nd trimester - baby out of pelvic cavity - should be ok
3rd trimester - weight of baby plus head squashes bladder - wee more often

TheImprobableGirl Fri 23-Mar-18 10:22:32

I had Pre eclampsia with my first and gestational diabetes with my second - midwives are amazing at picking up the various ailments and with both I had very little idea beforehand. Ironically I needed to pee more in the first pregnancy where I didn’t have GD, but it’s not that big a deal- it goes away literally as you give birth so even if the worst came to the worst I wouldn’t worry

LemonMuffin837 Sat 24-Mar-18 06:53:36

I've always had to get up in the night to wee anyway, at least once. But since I've been pregnant it's been a whole different ball game. It went to about 3-5 times a night in the first trimester and has carried on throughout, I'm 39+5 now and was up 7 times last night. I go more in the night then I do all day 🤷🏽‍♀️

Fakingit36 Sat 24-Mar-18 14:10:46

At 10 wks there was one night I peed NINE times! Now 25 wks and much more normal (one or zero times in night).

ER1992 Sat 24-Mar-18 15:42:52

I knew I would be having to wee a lot once I get to 3rd trimester but didn't realise it would start this early. Glad it's normal though

Fakingit36 Sat 24-Mar-18 16:29:04

I think in the early bit the peeing is hormonal whereas later on it’s to do with lack of space. In the middle it’s not as bad IME.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: