Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Clary Sage?

(83 Posts)
Shaunieh95 Fri 16-Mar-18 13:54:50

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with using clary sage oil to induce labour?

I've heard numerous stories that it can set off contractions and can be a good natural labour inducer?

I'm 37 weeks and am due to be induced in a week and a few days, I'd much prefer for baby to make his appearance on his own accord before i get to this point.

I've heard apparently it's used by some midwives soaked on a pad on the tummy to also help with afterbirth!

Would be great to hear if this actually does help or if it's just another rubbish old wives tale!

Thanks xx

Ekphrasis Fri 16-Mar-18 14:06:18

Anecdotally a Friend used it for her second induced birth and it was very quick - though who knows if it was that. They wouldn't let a pregnant midwife attend to her due to the clary sage however, which I feel is more telling!

Shaunieh95 Fri 16-Mar-18 14:38:15

Oh really @Ekphrasis !! I sent my partner out for some just awaiting his return to get a nice warm bath with the oil.

Fingers crossed x

Girlwiththearabstrap Fri 16-Mar-18 14:49:15

No direct experience but my friend is a midwife in a MLU. They routinely offer a clary sage massage to women and my friend also wasn't allowed to administer it or work with women using it in labour when she was pregnant.

Shaunieh95 Fri 16-Mar-18 14:56:32

Thanks @Girlwiththearabstrap!

I'm currently laid in the bath with the oil so we shall see tonight whether it will work for me, not getting my hopes up tbh 😂🙈

Momo18 Fri 16-Mar-18 14:57:40

I used tons, did zero.

Shaunieh95 Fri 16-Mar-18 14:58:54

Thought as much @Momo18, however I'm willing to try anything and everything to get him here naturally before they induce 😩

Momo18 Fri 16-Mar-18 15:39:34

Best thing ever is a long walk, and staying upright if possible during labour. Three births, one I was on my feet and it hurt so much less and was fast

Shaunieh95 Fri 16-Mar-18 17:43:26

Well I'm not in labour yet and all oil did was send me to sleep lol!

Ragdolly81 Fri 16-Mar-18 19:54:29

Oh I am going to try some tomorrow got some getting delivered tomorrow I am hoping it works. Hope it does something for u other than make u sleep. Good luck. Can't wait to meet my little one.

readysetcake Fri 16-Mar-18 20:12:10

I used this in the bath and rubbed it into my bump as well for about 4 days before my spontaneous labour. But I also did a 3 mile walk and a bit of expressing colostrum (just to see what came out!) during this time too. So it could have been those, a combination or none at all. But worth a try! Good luck.

Shaunieh95 Sat 17-Mar-18 10:17:43

@Ragdolly81 ohh keep us updated if it works for you too! I also can't wait, so exciting.

@readysetcake oh really I didn't realise I could use it on my skin, did you just directly massage the oil into your bump? I had a bath in the oil last night, dtd twice and went for a curry 😂. I'm going to try the nipple stimulation and try get myself out on a long walk! Hopefully a combination of everything will get him shifting!!

Ragdolly81 Sat 17-Mar-18 10:20:31

I will keep u updated its meant to arrive today a fingers crossed. I have also ordered a asda delivery for tomorrow in the hopes that sods law I will go into labor and have to cancel it. Haha

Shaunieh95 Sat 17-Mar-18 10:53:01

@Ragdolly81 raspberry leaf tea also is meant to be another good one, I've started with constant annoying lower back pain today so I'm hoping it may just come to something however I'm not holding out 😂

Ragdolly81 Sat 17-Mar-18 10:58:48

Oh good luck fingers crossed for u. Inhale had baton hicks since 22 weeks which are now stronger got a sweep last Tuesday due to them being so painful and spd but all I got was 6 hours of proper contractions then nothing lost some of my mucus plus on Thursday and some yesterday. Got constant back ache that gets worse when I have a braxton. Loads of pressure down below feel like I have been riding a horse for days. But my symptoms have been on and off for weeks so I just got tell if I am going to go or not didn't get any signs with my other kids just contractions out of the blue so feel like this is my first pregnancy lol

readysetcake Sat 17-Mar-18 13:30:24

Not sure if you’re meant to but I did! Just a little in the palm of my hand and rubbed it in. You get essential oil massages so can’t see that it would hurt if you’re ready to go in to labour!

Shaunieh95 Sat 17-Mar-18 14:00:26

Thanks guys going to give the massage a try, I will do anything to get this little bambino out before they start me off 😩. Can't say I'm looking forward to a possible dragged out painful labour. X

Dushenka Sat 17-Mar-18 14:08:48

Yes clary sage does work and so does the homeopathic remedy Caulophyllum. Many midwives and homeopaths who attend births use it to induce labour.

HollyBollyBooBoo Sat 17-Mar-18 14:17:59

My midwife held a big piece of gauze with it on, on my stomach post giving birth to help with the afterbirth, meant I could have an entirely drug free pregnancy as I'd be so ill and seemingly allergic to any medication.

Ragdolly81 Sat 17-Mar-18 14:20:18

Well just had a bath with it in so fingers crossed going to rub some into my belly in a bit. Hopefully it will work and I get to meet my little girl soon. Its exciting when u try something new lol

Shaunieh95 Sat 17-Mar-18 16:38:40

Thanks @Dushenka It's good to know that they do actually use this to help induce and not just another 'curry' or 'pineapple' theory!!

@Ragdolly81 good luck!! I hope it works for you fingers and toes crossed! I'm going to have another bath soon and massage some into my tummy and hopefully it won't be too long!

Ragdolly81 Sat 17-Mar-18 16:51:37

Thanks so far nothing but going to continue. Keep getting random hiccups which is driving me mad. But don't think that is related to the clary sage haha

AlecOrAlonzo Sat 17-Mar-18 16:59:01

Had loads of clary sage baths in three pregnancies. Two went ten days over and the other one would have had he not needed to make a sharp exit through the sunroof! My conclusion: doesn't work.

Raspberry leaf tea isn't supposed to bring on labour but rather make your contractions easier. My conclusion: doesn't work.

Curry. No one in India goes over term? Aye, right. My conclusion: doesn't work.

Pineapple would need to be eaten in industrial quantities. Doesn't work.

Go a really long, tough walk up a hill. Ideally you have no phone signal or you've still got to paint the nursery or some other massively inconvenient thing to do. That'll work.

Ragdolly81 Sat 17-Mar-18 17:04:17

Lol I do think sods law works best so I have ordered my asda shop for tomorrow and told the kids dad to bring the kids back tomorrow. I walk everywhere all the time but I have spd so struggling to get a good pace going.

Shaunieh95 Sat 17-Mar-18 17:11:02

lol @AlecOrAlonzo tbh I think you might be correct 😂🙈 looks like I'll be getting my induction after all 😩

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: