Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

5+3 and in agony... pregnancy related?

(22 Posts)
CalliopeCass Tue 13-Mar-18 22:02:56

I'm just over 5 weeks pregnant. In very good health and usually no issues. Today, started having incredibly achey shoulder (more towards my neck), like it's in a permanent spasm, and also have developed a severe, agonising, awful pain in my left buttock. It feels like I've been kicked in the ass 100 times, and when I move a certain way I end up in tears because it's so painful. Anyone any idea what these could be? Pregnancy related possibly? Can't get to docs until Monday (all booked up!), and not sure I can continue in this much pain...

AnneLovesGilbert Tue 13-Mar-18 22:06:41

Please call your GP or local early pregnancy unit tomorrow. I’m sure it’s nothing to worry about but that type of shoulder pain can be an indication of something you need to get checked out. See how you go over night but do call someone in the morning. I hope you feel better soon and good luck with your pregnancy flowers

OrangeHorse Tue 13-Mar-18 22:15:51

Shoulder pain can be an indication of ectopic pregnancy, it's very important that you get checked out. I'd probably call 111 tonight if I was you, they may want you to be seen tonight rather than tomorrow.

OrangeHorse Tue 13-Mar-18 22:18:56

Sorry didn't mean that to sound so scary, It also could just be due to the hormones released during pregnancy, they make everything relax making muscles injuries or pulls more likely.

Bitsandbobsalot Tue 13-Mar-18 22:21:29

I’d recommend you go to A+E tonight. I’d imagine 111 would send you with these symptoms. Hopefully it’s nothing and you and baby are just fine but in this situation it’s better to be safe than sorry.

surreygirl1987 Tue 13-Mar-18 22:22:05

Worth calling 111 and asking for advice. I had severe pain and did the same. I was fine but it is worth calling up just in case as if it is ectopic it is serious. If you call 111 and ask for advice at least then it is in the hands of professionals and they can make the decisions for you!

Loosemoose28 Tue 13-Mar-18 22:37:05

If you are saying you can’t continue in so much pain I think you need A+E now.

My ectopic started as a small pinch in my hip that then felt like a tearing muscle accross it. I also had sharp pain in my shoulder. Ectopics are emergencys.

I really hope it isn’t the case for you and hopefully you have just pulled something as thats what I initally thought I had done until I had weird bleeding and a positive pregnancy test. X

Caramelsalt Tue 13-Mar-18 22:39:03

You need to get checked out tonight please. A possible ectopic is an emergency and you have classic symptoms.

SoftSheen Tue 13-Mar-18 22:42:26

Go to A&E!

Thetruthfairy Tue 13-Mar-18 22:43:50

Definitely get checked out tonight.
Really hope everything is okay xx

FranticallyPeaceful Tue 13-Mar-18 23:19:39

Worth being checked for ectopic. HOWEVER, don’t fret, could be your body releasing relaxin which sometimes plays havoc such as what you’re describing

M5tothesouthwest Tue 13-Mar-18 23:19:45

Shoulder pain can be a symptom of ectopic pregnancy. Please get checked out ASAP (out of hours or A&E)

FranticallyPeaceful Tue 13-Mar-18 23:20:52

*Dont fret but still absolutely call NHS line or go to A&E smile

CalliopeCass Wed 14-Mar-18 07:22:16

Thanks everyone. It's not an ectopic pregnancy. Spoke to 111 and the out of hours doc said that shoulder pain only usually comes on after a rupture which causes intense abdominal pain. It's not the right kind of shoulder pain and sounds like cramp. I didn't ask them about the pain in my glute as I didn't want to bother them and am fairly sure they'll need to have a look. I can believe how much pain I'm in with it and it seems to be getting worse. I can barely walk. I've read about pelvic girdle pain, but surely not at 5 weeks? At a loss here. Ouch...

OrangeHorse Wed 14-Mar-18 07:45:01

The only thing you can do is see a doctor, have you a local walk in centre you can try?

Ps great news about the ectopic pregnancy bit.

CalliopeCass Wed 14-Mar-18 07:56:45

Hi @OrangeHorse - I'm booked in for Thursday! Just had a bit of a panic last night. Can't remember the last time I was in so much pain. I've had so many miscarriages that I freak out a bit at any sign of anything being wrong!

Thank you smile

OrangeHorse Wed 14-Mar-18 08:21:24

That's good, not too long to wait then. I had a horrible point in my pregnancy where I rolled over one night and ended up frozen in pain. Something in my hips, I couldn't walk at all. It slowly improved. I found that deep freeze is fine to use in pregnancy (not deep heat I don't think) and the Dr prescribed me codeine for the pain. It slowly improved. Until you can get to the Dr I would recommend trying warm (not hot) baths, deep freeze, paracetamol and rest.

Sorry for your losses, my little girl is a rainbow baby and I know how much you worry in pregnancy after a loss thanks

CalliopeCass Wed 14-Mar-18 08:25:03

@OrangeHorse thank you. So many lovely kind people here on mn!

It's true isn't it? My partner has a daughter. His ex went through a really smooth pregnancy (which I am of course thankful for) but I don't think he understands my worries. Miscarriage is awful, especially when it is unexplained and there's nothing you can do to prevent it from happening again and again. I've booked an early scan for 7 weeks so hopefully that'll offer me a little peace.

I'm so sorry for your loss thanks

OrangeHorse Wed 14-Mar-18 11:23:33

I agree, it's something you don't understand really unless you have been through it.

Good luck with everything thanks

CalliopeCass Wed 14-Mar-18 13:01:00

Managed to get to the docs today. He also said it could be ectopic so has arranged a scan for Monday morning once I am 6 weeks. So, so worried. Fingers crossed 🤞🏽

surreygirl1987 Wed 14-Mar-18 17:44:57

Fingers crossed ... let us know x

OrangeHorse Wed 14-Mar-18 22:17:03

Hope everything is ok 🤞

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: