Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Anterior Placenta

(11 Posts)
coffeeX10 Tue 13-Mar-18 20:52:22

I know there’ll be a million threads about this already but I just need to speak to someone in real time!

I am 20+2 with my second. With my dd The placenta was low lying so I felt everything from 17w.
This time the placenta is anterior and it’s panicking me, some days I feel nothing at all. Today for example I’ve only felt her once. My midwife said I will start to feel more but can anyone tell me when?

Also does anyone with anterior placenta have days when their bump looks smaller? If so do you know why this is? I’m not leaking fluid btw.

Thanks in advance x

superram Tue 13-Mar-18 20:58:14

It was much later when I felt anything , about 24 weeks. Never noticed the size of my bump changing but both babies were pushed to the same side and my tummy overhang is lopsided-nice.....

coffeeX10 Tue 13-Mar-18 21:13:39

@superram haha I’ll look out for the lopsidedness as I go along!
I spoke to someone who had anterior with her first preg and she noticed the smaller bump thing too and thought it was the placenta pushing the baby back, I have a consultant app and my anomaly scan on fri so I’m going to ask then.
24w has really reassured me, thank you. Her really noticeable kicks are when she gets me unexpectedly in the bladder or cervix, other than that (and my bump and sickness) I wouldn’t even know she was in there at the moment!!

BendydickCuminsnatch Tue 13-Mar-18 21:21:32

Do you have a retroverted uterus? I had anterior placentas in both my pregnancies, my sis is now pregnant and she has one too, we both have retro uteruses!
Anyway. Felt my first around 22 weeks and went in loads of times for reduced movements. Felt DS2 at 11 weeks! But there was never any pattern, sometimes didn’t feel him all day etc.

cadburyegg Tue 13-Mar-18 21:29:35

I’ve had anterior placentas with both of my boys. Started to feel DS1 at 20 weeks DS2 16 weeks. Never really had any pattern of movement that I could depend on and most days after 30 weeks I would end up lying on my side for a couple of hours with a cold drink until I was happy with the movements I felt. It was very anxieity inducing!

Bonge Tue 13-Mar-18 22:01:26

Hi, this is my first baby and I have an anterior placenta too.

I felt nothing until 21 weeks and even then, it was pretty infrequent. I'm now 30 weeks and feel her much more often.

I had a 4d scan at 27 weeks and the ultrasound technician was saying how active the baby was, but I couldn't feel a thing!

RosieCotton Tue 13-Mar-18 22:21:19

I have an anterior this time I'm 22 weeks and only in last few days been able to say they are define moments, even then i only think its because its baby 4 and i know what im looking for. Up to now I've felt twinges but mainly felt like wind. Lol. My belly is lopsided too. The right side is much more rounded.

twistedpink Tue 13-Mar-18 23:17:09

I think about 23-24 weeks I noticed. Currently 26 weeks and he's a little active bugger. Don't worry it will come, I had exactly the same worries as you! X

coffeeX10 Wed 14-Mar-18 21:46:19

Thanks to every single person who replied, I’ve felt er quite a few times today - typical! I need to remember today when I barely feel her tomorrow haha!

Jupiter15 Thu 15-Mar-18 13:56:33

I have an anterior placenta, I felt movements low down quite early but sometimes very little, it has really ramped up from 26 weeks.

Juststrugglingabit Thu 15-Mar-18 14:50:00

I don't have this myself but was chatting to a midwife in antenatal clinic about it the other day. She said that some women feel absolutely nothing all the way through and they just get them in for monitoring regularly to make sure all is well! So the fact that you are already feeling something is hopefully a good sign.

I'm 26 weeks with my second (felt her from 11 weeks) and at 20 weeks I was still having days when I didn't feel much at all, so there's still loads of time for your baby to beef up a bit and hopefully reassure you every day!

Oh on bump size, mine still varies wildly and I think it is due to bloating even at this stage (am a very windy person generally blush). I'm closely monitored and definitely not leaking either.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: