Advanced search

What are the best products for you and your baby? From travel systems to sterilisers, you can find out all you need to know from our Mumsnet Best reviews

Find out more

Anyone know how to request a new midwife?

(34 Posts)
Tinks15 Tue 13-Mar-18 20:33:02

Fed up with mine she's useless never responds to my messages, she only ever responds after I've had to text her two or three times to prompt her - its frustrating as not really what I should have to do.
Previous midwife i had a few years back was so quick to respond to my messages & always came across like she was there for me just getting annoyed with this one!

flumpybear Tue 13-Mar-18 20:38:06

Texting?! Perhaps mynchildren were born before texting MW was 'the thing'

I'm sure texting really increases their workload?!

Tinks15 Tue 13-Mar-18 20:43:10

I thought it was better than calling & disturbing their other appointments - maybe not then!!!

Didntcomeheretofuckspiders Tue 13-Mar-18 20:44:49

I feel bad for the midwife. Imagine having 100 or so women texting with every ache or niggle at all times of the day and expecting her immediate response.

If it’s urgent, telephone the hospital. If it isn’t urgent you can leave a voicemail or book an appointment.

Tinks15 Tue 13-Mar-18 20:48:30

It's not urgent it would be nice to just acknowledge my text regarding a quick question something that really doesn't need an appt about as all my previous messages the past couple of weeks.

Hellywelly10 Tue 13-Mar-18 20:48:43

Do you have a comlex pregnancy?

Tinks15 Tue 13-Mar-18 20:50:40

I'm classed as high risk.

appleblossomtree Tue 13-Mar-18 20:52:14

I don't think texting is the done thing. I would phone if you need a direct answer.

Dermymc Tue 13-Mar-18 20:52:20

I have never texted a midwife.

Why are you messaging her so much about non urgent stuff? Surely you can Google most things!

Tinks15 Tue 13-Mar-18 20:53:55

Jesus didn't know it was such a crime to text a midwife - she said right from the start if you have any questions or issues just give us a text! No it's not something I can 'google'

FranticallyPeaceful Tue 13-Mar-18 20:54:54

I’m classed as high risk and wouldn’t dream of texting my midwife (especially then spamming her to prompt her!). Midwives are busy and if you need out of hours care then phone the unit?
Call the midwife if you need her but she has a lot of patients and little time so it’s bound to be hit and miss, they’re under enormous pressure and workload.

She’s a midwife, not an oncall member of your personal staff

Dermymc Tue 13-Mar-18 21:00:37

Pregnancies are deemed high risk for a variety of reasons. Some are truly high risk and some are just slightly higher than 'normal'.

Chasing her up isn't nice, she's probably fed up with you.

gussyfinknottle Tue 13-Mar-18 21:02:27

I never had a midwife. I had a team which turned out to be a euphemism for "whoever is on duty and never the same one twice".

Tinks15 Tue 13-Mar-18 21:03:12

I only text her again after a couple of days I don't literally hound her the same day I appreciate she is busy.

user1499786242 Tue 13-Mar-18 21:06:08

I can't believe the replies here
The midwife has told you to text her
And she isn't replying
I would be annoyed! If she can't reply to a text then why offer the service????!?!?
Pregnancy is such a worrying time for some people I understand if you want a quick question answered or abit if reassurance!
And a text is much much quicker than a phone call or app surely?

And google is shit and constantly gives wrong information so I would never ever use that instead of actually speaking to a midwife 🙄

You might just have to start ringing instead or booking appointments! Annoying but if you need the advice I guess you have no other choice!

Bluebirdsky Tue 13-Mar-18 21:12:54

To answer your question I think you would need to contact the hospital that you are booked to have your baby at in order to request a new midwife; they would then organise this for you.
However the reality is that most of them have case loads much larger than they are meant to and are struggling to provide the level of care and timeliness of response that they would ideally like to; those that are are generally doing a lot of their work in their own time. Unfortunately this is the current reality of the NHS.

paniconthestreetsofdreams Tue 13-Mar-18 21:14:29

How many times have you texted her?

BertieBotts Tue 13-Mar-18 21:15:46

Eh? My midwife used to tell me to text her in 2008, it's hardly a new invention confused

Not for general questions mind but certainly it was a thing.

FranticallyPeaceful Tue 13-Mar-18 21:18:00

@BertieBotts in 2008 (and 2006, and 2011 when I had my others) they weren’t under as much stress and workload as they are now.

Girlwiththearabstrap Tue 13-Mar-18 21:20:29

Different trusts have different ways of doing things. Where I am, you'd have to ring the central booking system and speak to them. I'm not sure whether they'd be able to guarantee you one at same surgery or not.

This isn't meant as a criticism but I don't understand the system of texting a midwife. In my mind it must make the workload totally unmanageable if people text for every niggle. I got told to ring and leave a voicemail if it was non urgent and to ring triage if urgent (reduced movement/bleeding etc)

If youre "high risk" (such a vague term!) Then presumably you're seen very regularly anyway. Maybe phoning and leaving a voicemail would prompt a quicker response?

BertieBotts Tue 13-Mar-18 21:23:05

True, Frantically.

Tinks15 Tue 13-Mar-18 21:31:30

Not being seen more regularly no, she told me that wouldn't be the case as it was my second baby, from my last midwife appt to my next appt it will be 10 weeks. I am however currently waiting for a consultant appt to come through which doesn't come through apparently until i'm 24 weeks.
Both my midwifes have just said text so that's why I have always texted.

JackietheBackie Tue 13-Mar-18 21:37:15

The downside of texting is that if she has had to take time off (or indeed is having scheduled time off such as holidays), then the texts don’t get checked or responded to which is frustrating. Is there a team number or a maternity helpline for your Trust? That might be a better option.

Girlwiththearabstrap Tue 13-Mar-18 21:40:08

Well not getting back to you is annoying so you wouldnt be unreasonable to mention it.
I guess it depends how urgent the query is as to whether a day or two delay is reasonable or not.
Seems unusual that youd be deemed high risk and only get seen rarely though so it might be worth asking about that.

Tinks15 Tue 13-Mar-18 21:48:08

Thanks Jackie yes there is a head office number I can call I've never rung that though didn't feel it was really necessary...yet anyway.
Yes girl I would think id been seen more often, I remember from my previous pregnancy I saw the consultant a lot & had more scans from a certain point but cannot remember when that was from.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now