Advanced search

A bit overweight, want stories please!

(15 Posts)
NogTheNog Tue 13-Mar-18 19:28:14

First time posting on mumsnet but I really wanted stories from women who were a few pounds overweight when they got pregnant.

I have PCOS and have spent the last 18 months losing 9 stone. Me and my partner had planned to start trying for a baby in April but I’m finding it really hard to shift the last 4lbs to get to an ideal weight (for me and according to NHS BMI chart). I did it to have a healthier life, safer pregnancy and so Doctors and nurses would stop lecturing me!
Really looking to hear from women who were in a similar position, about half a stone/few lbs overweight.
What I would love to know is, how were you treated? Did you get scolded by midwives? Told to lose those lbs? Was it constantly brought up? Do you feel it effected your pregnancy or the medical treatment you received?

I’ve worked so hard to get here and I don’t know if I can take anymore stern talks from medical professionals, especially losing what I already have. It’ll feel like a kick in the teeth. Trying to figure out if we should just start trying in April or if I should lose my last stubborn 4lbs first.

Thank you!

NinaMarieP Tue 13-Mar-18 19:32:10

I'm about two stone above my healthy BMI, at booking I was classified as obese.

I got an extra booklet in my notes about healthy eating, my midwife made me aware of increased risks of a few things, and that was honestly it!

I only gained a stone while pregnant, so apart from recording my weight at my routine appointments nothing else was said.

Chienrouge Tue 13-Mar-18 19:32:38

At only 4lbs overweight I don’t think it would even be mentioned. I had a BMI of 22 with my 1st and just over 25 with my second (small age gap and hadn’t lost the weight from my 1st) and I wasn’t treated any differently at all. I remember seeing that I was given 1 ‘point’ next to it in my notes as a risk factor but as it was my only risk factor it was never mentioned/discussed.

NinaMarieP Tue 13-Mar-18 19:32:48

Oh and huge congratulations for all the weight you have lost!

hannknitted Tue 13-Mar-18 19:37:45

I'm a few lbs (maybe half a stone?) over my healthy BMI and it hasn't even been mentioned - I'm 21 weeks so have had my booking appt, couple of midwife appts, 12 week scan and it has never come up at any of these. At my booking appointment they spoke about flagging up anything that could put me at increased risk and my weight wasn't mentioned at all - I'm classed as low risk. Hope that helps! smile

Didntcomeheretofuckspiders Tue 13-Mar-18 19:40:16

Huge congratulations on you weight loss OP!
If your BMI is under 30 (which I’m guessing it must be if you are 4lbs overweight), your midwife won’t even mention your weight because you aren’t at any increased risk of pregnancy complications. If you’re happy with how you feel now, maybe this last few lbs is hard to shift because this is how you are supposed to be? It’s not a huge amount of weight!

NogTheNog Tue 13-Mar-18 20:08:59

Thank you! I’m going to keep trying for the last couple of weeks but your stories have helped ease my mind hugely. I’m very good a feeling guilty. Thank you for the congrats, it’s been a long road!

RaindropsOnRoses2 Tue 13-Mar-18 20:13:53

Oh God, don't worry about 4lbs!!! I'm about 10lbs over (haven't lost from first and couldn't seem to shift it whilst BF). When they weighed me at booking I said I didn't want to know so she kept it quiet but said it was absolutely fine. They take it into account when doing the combined screening test (put it into the calculator that gives the risk factors) and if your BMI is over 30 you have to be prescribed high dose folic acid. Other than that she said everything is the same...

halfwitpicker Tue 13-Mar-18 20:15:29

4lbs is nothing! They won't even blink.

Congratulations on the weight loss, wow.

littlepooch Tue 13-Mar-18 20:31:52

Honestly they won't even bat an eyelid. I'm a stone overweight this time round as I still haven't lost my baby weight from dc2 and no one has said a thing!

Congratulations on your weight loss and good luck ttc!

gryffen Tue 13-Mar-18 21:01:29

I have pcos and last April went through a gastric sleeve on the NHS weight management programme after 10yrs of issues etc.

I did have a successful pregnancy in 2014 while at my heaviest and just had to watch intake and signs of PE.

I'm pregnant again and 55kg down in weight and due in August.

4lb is ok to be over - sounds like your weight has plataeu a bit but that's ok.

The BMI is just a guide anyway.

Girlwiththearabstrap Tue 13-Mar-18 21:05:41

I had a BMI of 26 on booking in this time round and the midwife didn't seem bothered. I'm only consultant led because I had pre eclampsia last time and the consultant didn't mention my weight at all. I think it's BMI of over 30/35 where weight becomes a significant risk factor in your notes. Saying that, I know that being overweight isn't good for me so I'm making a real effort to stay active and minimise my weight gain.

NogTheNog Tue 13-Mar-18 21:07:35

Thank you all so much, I’m an expert worrier so wanted to hear from people who’ve been there done that to quiet my mind.xx

Tfoot75 Tue 13-Mar-18 21:07:41

You definitely won’t get a lecture! I had a bmi of above 30 both times at booking and was never mentioned, both midwife led water births. Never weighed again. No gtt test.

YerAuntFanny Tue 13-Mar-18 21:29:52

Wow, well done on your weight loss!

At my booking in I had a BMI of 43, meaning I was about 7.5st overweight. I wasn't scolded and it was rarely brought up except for scheduling a glucose test as I was high risk for gestational diabetes.

I doubt they'll even acknowledge 4lbs!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now