Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Elevated ALT levels?

(13 Posts)
PastramiAndRye Tue 13-Mar-18 17:42:18

Hello,

I'm 36w pregnant and my ALT levels are elevated (130) but a liver scan looked normal. I've not got high blood pressure but I do have low platelets.

Does anyone have any experience? I was really hoping to go into labour naturally but am I more likely to face an induction?

PastramiAndRye Tue 13-Mar-18 19:27:11

Bump? smile

Mrssampras Tue 13-Mar-18 19:34:36

I had raised alt levels, and then later raised bile acids. For me this was symptomatic of obstetric cholestasis, and the main symptom was an itch. If you have any itching definitely ask them to check your bile acids. First pregnancy I wasnt induced until 10 days over, second time I was induced at 40 plus 3 days. Third pregnancy I was induced at 37 plus 3. However, the reason for induction was always raised bile acids, yours may be fine.

PastramiAndRye Tue 13-Mar-18 19:45:07

Thanks so much for your reply. My mw said my bile acids are totally fine and I've got no itching. I've to go back in a week for more blood tests but I'm on the watch for itchy palms!

PastramiAndRye Tue 13-Mar-18 19:46:20

Did your final induction end up in a vaginal delivery? I've had one vaginal birth and one section and I'm keen for a Vbac this time.

cadburyegg Tue 13-Mar-18 19:49:31

I had raised ALT levels but normal bile acids. They diagnosed OC based on that plus I was itchy. I was induced at 39w, had a vaginal delivery and it was a much better experience than my spontaneous labour with my first baby.

DogzBollox Tue 13-Mar-18 19:59:00

Wise to just keep a watch on bloods and itching - I had raised ALT before the itching and raised Bile Acids with OC. Good luck.

PastramiAndRye Tue 13-Mar-18 20:10:41

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I think itchy palms might be to come. At least I know what to look out for.

Might go and add a few more bits to my hospital bag!

Mrssampras Tue 13-Mar-18 20:33:07

Good luck. My inductions were all ok, no interventions, all vaginal births. The induction at 37 weeks was slower than the others, as it was sooner, but still happened with just the peasant, didn’t need drip as well.

overduemamma Tue 13-Mar-18 20:54:19

I had a raised alt a few times.. sometimes they can come back raised if your feeling under the weather (fighting cold,cough) x

PastramiAndRye Wed 14-Mar-18 14:05:58

Oh really? I do have a UTI so wonder if it's related to that...

AnUtterIdiot Wed 14-Mar-18 18:55:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NotTodayBillyRay Fri 16-Mar-18 11:49:02

I had raised alt and high blood pressure. Midwife assumed Pre eclampsia but blood results were negative. I had acute fatty liver of pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: