Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

40 and pregnant? How long did it take?

(16 Posts)
Kitkat369 Tue 13-Mar-18 15:35:21

Hi ladies, so I’ve been on 6mth journey trying to conceive baby 1 and hitting 40 soon.

I know more mums to be in 40s but curious to know how long it took you if your first? Was it natural conception or ivf?

Billie353 Tue 13-Mar-18 16:05:45

We started TTC in 2011, I was 36. Nothing happened so we went to the docs and were referred for ivf. We had one NHS attempt in 2014. It didn't work, I then had a natural pregnancy but ended in miscarriage that summer. We plodded along but in early 2016 my periods seemed heavier/worse so I went to the docs.... She sent me off for tests/investigations. She also told me that my baby making days were over! I was gutted and 41. One month later, surprisingly I was pregnant. The doc had done me a favor and I'd given up worrying/checking. My gorgeous boy arrived December 2016. Last summer I had another miscarriage, but I'm currently 18 weeks with number 2 and 43. Seems like hitting 40 was what I needed to kick start things..... Sorry if this is long winded. blush

AnUtterIdiot Tue 13-Mar-18 16:09:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AnUtterIdiot Tue 13-Mar-18 16:11:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fidgety31 Tue 13-Mar-18 16:40:22

I’m 42 - just found out I am five weeks pregnant - not planned , was on mini pill. I can pin point it to one occurrence too as it’s a long distance relationship

Kitkat369 Tue 13-Mar-18 16:40:44

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately we don’t qualify for nhs ivf so it’s something I’m thinking about. I’ve been reading it starts with the egg and have been following her advice in terms of vitamins but also reducing toxins to help with egg quality. Been about 6wks so trying to be patient before I consider ivf.

Ekphrasis Tue 13-Mar-18 17:01:06

About 10 months with two mc. I followed it starts with the egg and we both took ubiquinol after the second mc, for 3 mo before trying again. Now 31 wks and ages 41!

I do think your partner needs to follow the advice as well, alcohol had to be cut back on by my Dh (too many 40ths and awards ceremonies at work hmm)

I tracked religiously with fertility friend, temping and opks took evening primrose up to ovulation too which really made a difference to my ewcm! When I conceived I knew I was ovulating based on that alone!

Kitkat369 Tue 13-Mar-18 17:11:26

Sounds like I may be going in right direction. Hubby doesn’t drink and has cut down on sugar and caffeine. He’s reasonably healthy and also taking ubiquinol and vit d

Ekphrasis Tue 13-Mar-18 17:17:19

Sounds good! I did follow the book's advice to take a little extra folate (half or 1/4 of the h and b tablets on top of the stuff in pregnacare) and Dh took that too as seemed to be more impact on sperm for that. But it was all after 2 mc which surprised us as ds had been conceived right away at aged 36.

Ekphrasis Tue 13-Mar-18 17:22:52

I will add that I was clearly ovulating regularly from the opks and my cycle was 24-28 days. (25 is normal for me) The second mc I ovulated very early, around day 8 or 9 so I don't think it was a mature enough egg. Day 11 - 13 seems to be my best ovulation. I found all this info from the tracking (like taking charge of your fertility) really useful. I did however find it all out from ff. I ended up paying for a subscription deciding that it was cheaper than ivf!

AnnaLuna Tue 13-Mar-18 21:56:52

I miscarried last year after TTC for many years and thought as I became 40 last autumn that it would be more difficult for me to conceive. But it only took 3 months to conceive second time. A month after my 40th birthday I found I was pregnant. The only changes before becoming pregnant for second time were: taking prenatal vitamins, vitamin E (400 iu) separately, vitamin C 500mg. Was tracking my ovulation with ovulation tests and measuring my temperature every day.

AnnaLuna Tue 13-Mar-18 21:58:55

Been taking Lamberts Strong Start prenatal vitamins for a month before conceiving, don’t know if that helped or not but they were recommended to me by the nutritionist.

AnnaLuna Tue 13-Mar-18 22:07:25

Oh and I’ve been taking vitamin D3 with K2 too.

Kitkat369 Wed 14-Mar-18 10:24:21

Hi, I’ve been taking pregnacare, vit d, vit e, vit c, ubiquinol as advised from it starts with an egg book for about 6wks. HAve also reduced toxins from makeup and toiletries and reducing plastic.

Hubby also takes ubiquinol 200mg, vet d, vit c and proxeed plus and 30g of Brazil nuts! smile we both reduced caffeine. I drink more decaff and only take paracetamol for painkillers if needed plus doing exercise to get blood flowing.

In the book she mentions that it takes 3mths for egg and sperm to mature so hoping around April at peak. After seeing gynaecologist at my nhs fertility clinic she got me in 2wks I recently had also a hcg test about 2wksback do my Fallopian tubes are clear now from what radiographer said so should hekpbtoo.

It’s my 40th next week and I’m dreading it. Starting to wonder if I should look at ivf if still no joy come may.

Kitkat369 Wed 14-Mar-18 10:27:31

Oops sorry hit sent before finished

When I had my hcg done 2wks agp the radiographer said that my tubes were clear snd “patent” so it should give a boost clearing any cobwebs but of course no guarantee. Here’s hoping I get my bfp soon smile

Ragwort Wed 14-Mar-18 10:37:42

I was 42 - about five months after stopping contraception - I was not actively 'trying' to get pregnant, DH was much keener than me grin so I wasn't timing when to have sex or anything like that. Actually thought it was the menopause when my periods stopped grin.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: