Advanced search

Fit to fly note

(8 Posts)
LisaSimpsonsbff Tue 13-Mar-18 14:17:08

I just found out that my work travel insurance requires that I have what they call 'your doctor's permission' to fly in pregnancy, and it doesn't limit this to any stage. I had assumed I wouldn't need one as I'll only be 23 weeks, so miles before airlines require them. Any idea how to get one? Despite them saying doctor, should I contact midwife? Or GP? Trip is next week so I've left it a bit late - and while I might think 'ah, sod it' if I was going to Europe, trip is to US so really don't want to inadvertently invalidate the insurance, just in case. Thanks!

RLOU88 Tue 13-Mar-18 14:20:30

I had to do this too. Booked an appointment with GP as it is the doctor who needs to assess your current medical records and then he fills in the from and stamps it. Takes about 10 mins if no issues

pigshavecurlytails Tue 13-Mar-18 14:21:12

Gp here. I'd do you a letter for a fee, but it won't contain the word fit to fly as our insurers advise us not to say that. The only reason the airline wants that is so they can come after the GP for costs if the airline has to divert. It would say "lisasimpsonsbff is 23 weeks pregnant with a singleton/twins and a due date of xx. The pregnancy has been uncomplicated/ had the following complications. Please use this information to make your own decision on her fitness to fly"

LisaSimpsonsbff Tue 13-Mar-18 14:29:18

Thank you! This is so helpful. There have been no problems at all with my pregnancy so far but I was booked as needing to see the consultant because this was my fourth pregnancy after three miscarriages - the midwife said that if there were no problems in the pregnancy the consultant would just downgrade me, but I haven't had the meeting with them yet. Is that likely to cause any problems?

QueenAravisOfArchenland Tue 13-Mar-18 14:54:33

I can't imagine that the consultant led side will matter at all. They just really want to know there's no reason to think you're at particular risk of giving birth prematurely, or otherwise collapsing, in midair and a so far uneventful pregnancy wouldn't suggest those risks.

pigshavecurlytails Tue 13-Mar-18 15:10:53

You need to find out exactly what the insurance requires. If they need the words fit to fly then any Dr with sense won't do it u less aviation trained. However some GPs are very naive on this front. Usually its just a confirmation of dates

WineAndTiramisu Tue 13-Mar-18 20:17:28

I got one from my GP via a phone consultation. He's pretty old school so was happy to do it, the letter actually said "the above patient is fit to fly" didn't even mention pregnancy lol, the airline had to email me for more details grin

pigshavecurlytails Tue 13-Mar-18 20:41:35

@WineAndTiramisu your GP is naive and doesn't realise that he could be personally responsible for any costs associated with your pregnancy going wrong on a flight. Lots of 'old school' GPs don't. One of these days it'll bankrupt one of them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now