Talk

Advanced search

Strep B

(20 Posts)
Mugglenet Mon 12-Mar-18 19:54:44

First pregnancy... due in 2 weeks. Talk to me about strep B. Midwives have never mentioned it. Can I request to be tested or the baby tested when born??

niknac1 Mon 12-Mar-18 20:03:34

I tested positive before due date and was given IV antibiotics during birth so it wasn’t passed onto my child. They also kept us in a little longer than usual and did monitoring before we could go home. I’m not sure if you ask for the test but they found I had it, I think K may have had a swab when I has a membrane sweep. Sorry I don’t know more.

verybookish Mon 12-Mar-18 20:07:52

https://www.groupbstreptest.co.uk

I did the test through them and can recommend, though I think since you are close to your dd it may be late to ido it through them

SciFiRocker Mon 12-Mar-18 20:21:22

This might be a totally idiotic question but If you had step b for your first pregnancy then do you have it for the second still?

Mugglenet Mon 12-Mar-18 20:47:53

I've seen people with stickers on their notes and I'm wondering how it was detected.

Kellie137 Mon 12-Mar-18 20:56:57

Mine was detected at my booking appointment so I was like 8 weeks pregnant. I was given anti biotics when it was detected then throughout labour I had a drip with antibiotics through iv

Haircutdilemma Mon 12-Mar-18 21:00:45

I was tested in my second pregnancy but had given birth before the results came through.

We were kept in for 3 days whilst DD was monitored every 4 hours.

My third pregnancy I had a sticker on my notes but they didn't test for it as they said it can come and go.

As far As I remember they didn't test DS for it or make any other changes.

Mugglenet Mon 12-Mar-18 21:03:57

How do they test for it... is it through bloods??

Haircutdilemma Mon 12-Mar-18 21:08:25

I think I was swabbed as I had protein in my urine twice.

Kellie137 Mon 12-Mar-18 21:10:14

Mine was detected through a routine urine sample. It’s something I was told they don’t routinely test for but if it is picked up then bonus.

pinkpanther84 Mon 12-Mar-18 21:15:22

I ordered a test online privately (think it was about £30/40), I think I did it about 36 weeks pregnant but could be wrong

SciFiRocker Mon 12-Mar-18 21:16:30

I had a swab at the same time as an internal scan at 7 weeks after I had stomach pain so it wasn't planned to do the test, they just did it cos I was in for the scan.

DaisyLand Mon 12-Mar-18 21:29:02

I’ve been having protein since week 29 in my urine. On week 31 my mw asked me to get a swab done and it came back positive.

Starlive22 Mon 12-Mar-18 21:41:53

Ooh me too OP, just heard about this and due in 10 days! How do people get tested? Can you just request it, I wonder why nobody mentions it ie MW?

Hushabyelullaby Mon 12-Mar-18 21:59:41

I had my test privately too. The NHS don't test for it (well not here), but if you test positive like I did, then they will give antibiotics in labour.

I got my test online, I think from here

Starlive22 Mon 12-Mar-18 22:13:05

I've sent for a test, but hoping I've got enough time to get the results, does anyone remember how long it took for the results to come through from the private test?

curliegirlie Mon 12-Mar-18 22:28:59

It varies from area to area I think. With my first pregnancy (NW London) I had the swab at about 34 weeks as they were a pilot area and tested everyone for it. This time round it was apparently detected in a urine sample at around 12 weeks. It was all very odd, they didn’t say it was Group B Strep at first, just said they’d detected an infection and wanted me to redo the urine test as the chances were it was just a contaminated sample. So, I redid the sample a week later and gave it to the GP’s reception, not knowing exactly what it was I should have been asking for, and GBS must not be one of the things they routinely test for there, as they didn’t say anything had been picked up, so I assumed the first sample was iffy or the infection had passed. It was only another 2 weeks later when I gave a pee sample at the hospital again that a midwife said I still had an infection, asked whether I’d had antibiotics for it from the previous urine test and finally mentioned it was GBS. No idea why she was so coy about saying exactly what it was. Does it panic some women or something? Very odd. Anyway, I was given a prescription for the antibiotics and will be on an IV drip during labour again. No big deal....

NimbleKnitter Mon 12-Mar-18 22:32:49

The NHS don't test for it because (1) if you test negative, you can still catch it between testing and labour, so no point (2) even if you have it (and it's fairly common), it's very unlikely you'll pass it to baby and (3) IVF anti-biotics haven't been shown to be particularly effective at preventing transmission (and in fact, just makes anti-biotic resistance more common).

NICE guidance is to monitor baby closely for signs of infection as a more appropriate way of dealing with risk of infection

Aria2015 Mon 12-Mar-18 22:37:21

I asked to be tested just before I was due. It's not standard where I was and was told it would cost about £30 but in the end I didn't have to pay anything. It's not guaranteed because you can develop it at any time but it out my mind at ease. I ended up on an antibiotic drip anyway during labour so it wasn't a worry after but definitely ask if you're worried.

Mugglenet Tue 13-Mar-18 09:28:10

Thanks ladies. I'll ask at my next appointment.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: