Talk

Advanced search

Bad bad back pain

(13 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

zaalitje Mon 12-Mar-18 19:04:15

As I was getting up this morning I've noticed (not that one could miss it) horrendous back pain across my lower back from top of buttocks to top of hip across the full width of my back. It's not tender to touching has been constant all day.

Had paracetamol a couple of times and it's not really touching it. Pharmacist and midwife have previously both said that using heat patches and pain relief gels are not safe in pregnancy.

Any ideas what might have caused it? Any any tips to deal with it? Driving has been agony and I need to drive a lot for work.

endofthelinefinally Mon 12-Mar-18 19:05:52

How many weeks are you?
My labours all started with back pain.

zaalitje Mon 12-Mar-18 19:05:55

Oops meant to put this in pregnancy

zaalitje Mon 12-Mar-18 19:06:29

I'm 29 weeks, hopefully not labour!

usercantsleep Mon 12-Mar-18 19:07:07

Is it sciatica?

zaalitje Mon 12-Mar-18 19:12:15

I don't think it's sciatica, it across the whole of my back above my bum but below my waist.

MagicNumbers1234 Mon 12-Mar-18 19:21:13

It sounds like PGP/SPD (pelvic pain) instead of early labour. I had it in all my pregnancies, it was horrendous but it didn't affect having a vaginal birth. You will need to visit a physio for an assessment. There are ways of easing it but you could be stuck with it until after your baby arrives.

zaalitje Mon 12-Mar-18 19:28:50

magic I've had some hip pain previously, mentioned to midwife about 25 weeks who told me I could request physio but there was a 12-15 week wait so baby would likely be here FIRST!

really hope it's not something like PGP, pelvis overall feels fine, this feels more muscular across my back but with no tender spots to touch. I think I'll cry if I've 11 weeks of this left!

CarolineMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 12-Mar-18 22:01:35

Hi zaalitje. We'll move this one across to pregnancy for you soon. Hope you get more of the advice that you are after there flowers.

zaalitje Tue 13-Mar-18 06:49:59

Bump

Anyone else?

WelshMammy123 Tue 13-Mar-18 07:20:18

I've had this on and off the last few days. I feel like it's linked to being so uncomfortable in bed and sleeping awkwardly. I used a hot water bottle on it yesterday and that really helped. I looked it up ahead of using it and seems to be safe although your comments about heat patches not being ok have made me rethink! That said baby is kicking away so I'm assuming all's ok. I didn't keep the hot water bottle there constantly - just enough to ease it. Other than that I have no advice. I've assumed it's another normal, painful part of pregnancy!

Bluebirdsky Tue 13-Mar-18 08:16:28

I am 24 weeks and suffering with bad back pain, I am seeing a chiropractor which is helping.

ForeverHopeful21 Tue 13-Mar-18 15:52:08

It sounds like mild sciatica or mild SPD. Baby could be lying awkwardly on a nerve? You could see a private osteopath / chiropractor / physio for a quick diagnosis and therapy.

I've got terrible lower back, hip and leg pain which is very common and just part of the joys of being pregnant. I've had it since 20 weeks and its slowly gotten worse (I'm now 35 weeks and pretty much don't get any sleep due to the discomfort). I use a hot water bottle on my back and stretch 3 - 5 times a day. Yoga also helps massively but only if I do the movements at least 3 times a week! And a pregnancy massage is always nice.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: