Talk

Advanced search

Electric shock in early pregnancy

(14 Posts)
BadBadBeans Mon 12-Mar-18 17:46:02

Hi. I'm about 4.5 weeks pregnant and today I got an electric shock from a hand blender. It was reasonably mild - no burns or anything - I just felt like my hand had been stung or bitten suddenly. Does anyone have any experience of this? I am quite upset.

ClareB83 Mon 12-Mar-18 17:50:47

My mum was electrocuted when heavily pregnant with me, but her flip flops stopped her being grounded and she was fine. So am I.

BadBadBeans Mon 12-Mar-18 17:54:16

@ClareB83 thank you. I was wearing socks unfortunately and slightly damp ones at that! However I am trying to think logically and my little bean is too small right now to even have a heartbeat so hopefully getting a shock this early isn't too much of a risk... I just have no idea!

LemonysSnicket Mon 12-Mar-18 17:57:31

Are you sure it was electric or was it just a static shock ?

BadBadBeans Mon 12-Mar-18 18:22:43

Pretty sure it was electric @LemonySnicket and it was totally my fault as my hands were a bit damp from cutting washed vegetables. I should have dried them before using the blender.

FloydOnThePull Mon 12-Mar-18 18:45:52

I had an electric shock off a faulty unearthed light switch at about 12 weeks. It was fine. General advice is that baby is well protected inside you and if you have no ill effects then baby won't either.

BadBadBeans Mon 12-Mar-18 19:37:11

@FloydOnThePull thank you so much, and I'm so glad that you and your baby were okay. X

ChilliCheeseMama Tue 13-Mar-18 09:28:02

Probably already at ease but this happened to me when I was about 10 weeks and I literally felt it go right through me from a light switch! Went to the hospital and they told me unless I was burned or knocked off my feet baby would be fine and we're still growing well smile

BadBadBeans Tue 13-Mar-18 09:56:25

@ChilliCheeseMama I have actually still been worrying about it so hearing this was really reassuring! Thank you so much, and I'm so glad that you and your baby are well. It turns out that someone I live with got an electric shock from the damn thing the day before. Bit frustrated she didn't warn me or chuck it away, but she doesn't know I'm pregnant so there we go! It's been binned now to avoid further mishaps...

FlippingFoal Tue 13-Mar-18 10:05:42

I had an electric shock at 12 weeks and sadly miscarried. It was an electric fence running at 12000 volts and I fell onto it so got a significant shock. I felt the charge through my own heart and had significant pain after in my joints and limbs. I think if you have just had a mild shock that hasn't travelled through all your body your baby should be ok.

I called my midwife team and arrange for an early scan to check for a heartbeat. They were great and saw me that morning.

ForeverHopeful21 Tue 13-Mar-18 11:14:06

I got an electric shock from a faulty plug at 6 weeks pregnant. It knocked me back but didn't burn my skin. I had heart palpitations for ages afterwards and my fingers felt a bit numb for 20 minutes. Initially I was worried but looked online to see that no real harm is done from a mild shock.

I'm now 34 weeks and all is fine!

BadBadBeans Tue 13-Mar-18 13:05:17

@FlippingFoal I am so, so sorry to hear that this happened to you. What a terrible accident. Thank you for taking the time to respond; I really appreciate it. I hope that you have had / will have successful pregnancies in the future. xx

@ForeverHopeful21 That must have been scary and I'm so glad that you and your baby are now okay. The shock I had was much stronger than a static shock but definitely nowhere near as strong as the one you experienced. Good luck with the birth! smile xx

user1483387154 Tue 13-Mar-18 13:10:15

I had 3 electric shocks whilst I was pregnant. From a faulty dishwasher. I had a scan at hospital after the first one just to be on the safe side but as it was mild the Dr basically knew the baby would be fine but scanned me to make me feel better. With the other 2 shocks I didn't bother with a scan but kept a close note of movements

BadBadBeans Wed 14-Mar-18 10:56:12

@user1483387154 crikey that is unlucky - beware of the dishwasher! I'm really gald that you and baby were okay. And thank you for responding x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: