Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Constant Acid Reflux

(18 Posts)
AKP79 Mon 12-Mar-18 16:12:59

I'm 23 weeks and struggling with constant acid reflux. I get it all day and all through the night. I feel like I constantly need to burp and if I do I get acid in my mouth.

The only thing that seems to help is Gaviscon, but it's sooo expensive. Does anyone have any other tips or know if I can get Gaviscon on prescription?

EmmaJR1 Mon 12-Mar-18 16:14:15

Hi, I have the same problem (24 weeks) and am prescribed lanzoprazole - maybe ask your gp about it?

Billie353 Mon 12-Mar-18 16:27:21

I've been given Gaviscon on prescription x

Wait4nothing Mon 12-Mar-18 16:32:46

Go to your doctor, I have just been prescribed omeprazole and it has been such a change - I was also suffering day and night and after eating or drinking anything and it was making me sick. First day of taking the single tablet and it has gone! Pregnancy is much more bareable now!

WaitingTillJuly17 Mon 12-Mar-18 16:38:59

Go to the pharmacy and ask for Peptac. It’s the same as Gaviscon Advance but usually much cheaper. It’s normally kept in the dispensary so you won’t see it on the shelf.

PistFump Mon 12-Mar-18 16:51:14

I'm managing by drinking an absolute shed load of milk. Just about.

jacketpotatobeansandcheese Mon 12-Mar-18 17:56:38

Omeprazole made me sick on top of morning sickness- fun! Ranitidine helped me enormously x

seven201 Mon 12-Mar-18 19:13:10

Get a prescription for omeperazole. Also, did you know there's a double strength gavisocn behind the counter??? Game changer!

Bojangles33 Mon 12-Mar-18 19:17:36

Asda own brand gaviscon is just as good and £4.50 for a big bottle! I'm going through loads and finally beginning to accept I may just need omeprazole. Really didn't want to take anything stronger than gaviscon but it's making me miserable.

AKP79 Mon 12-Mar-18 22:37:38

Wow - thanks ladies for all the advice. I’m lying in bed with chronic acid reflux now and the last time I ate was 4 hours ago. I feel rotten. Will speak to the doctor!

ForEverlong Mon 12-Mar-18 22:40:13

I survived with peppermint gaviscon, but by literally glugging it out of the bottle. I had a big bottle in every room.
I avoided dairy as much as possible as it can make it worse. If it’s unbrearable see your doc

Neverenoughspoons Tue 13-Mar-18 23:27:08

They will give you Gaviscon on prescription. I agree Omeprazole or Ranitidine will help more though. I take Ranitidine & Gaviscon, sometimes still need rennies as well though. Omeprazole gives me mouth ulcers so had to swap to Ranitidine.

busybuildingdens Tue 13-Mar-18 23:30:49

I had lansoprazole, omeprazole and ranitidine through both pregnancies (depending on which GP I spoke to altered which medication they would let me have in pregnancy!?!). The ranitidine didn’t do a thing, but the other two were great, and the first time since I’d been pregnant that I actually started to feel well. Gaviscon didn’t touch it, and after being put on the medication, my sickness also stopped and I could eat relatively normally again. Hope you get it sorted!

Whymustyoubringinthebirds Wed 14-Mar-18 06:25:27

You can get Gavison/Peptec under minor ailments just go to a pharmacy and ask - first time I took my mat exemption form to register as this is how you qualify but I’ve not had to do this every time

Also GP can prescribe something

PastaOfMuppets Wed 14-Mar-18 06:43:47

@PistFump fatty foods such as dairy actually exacerbate reflux long term so you're better off getting something to treat it and not guzzling the milk (lesson I learnt the hard way ... DC1 I drank about a litre of milk and ate a big tub of yoghurt a day but it just kept on coming)

Swissgemma Wed 14-Mar-18 06:48:31

Go and see your doctor and get a prescription. one of my darkest pregnancy memories is standing in my kitchen at 3.30 am wailing as I had run out of gaviscon and was in pain.

PistFump Wed 14-Mar-18 10:09:21

@PastaOfMuppets - thanks but milk worked well throughout my first pregnancy and it continues to work well this time around so I'm going to stick with it. I don't like the taste of gaviscon or rennies.

BuildMeUpDandelion Wed 14-Mar-18 10:14:03

Ranitidine helped me in pregnancy. Didn't find omeprazole or nexium helped so you might have to try some different ones. I too spent a fortune on Gaviscon as I found that supermarket versions gave me terrible stomach cramps. I'm a big fan of cheaper generics usually but the formulation must have been slightly different.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: