Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Struggling With Diet At 8wks

(16 Posts)
ballerini Sun 11-Mar-18 08:54:34

I'm only 8 wks pregnant but for a few weeks I've been struggling with my diet. I have often struggled anyway before pregnancy although I'm not too overweight at size 10-12.
Yesterday my snacks were 2 cornetto ice creams, a chocolate bar, a full packet of Haribo, 2 crunch corner yoghurts and a packet of crisps! I went shopping yesterday which is why I had all that crap in the house in the first place.
I have had a few days where I ate just as badly over the past few weeks.
I am not having any cravings but have had a bit of nausea and there are some meals I used to eat that I have to be in the mood for. I am a little bit put off at the thought of vegetables but I will probably try to force some down later with a Sunday dinner.
My meals end up being sandwiches or pizza or chips which aren't the healthiest options.
Today I feel a bit crappy physically because of yesterday's awful snack choices and I also feel guilty for eating so badly!
Anyone else struggling with their diet or have any meal suggestions that are at least half healthy?

ClareB83 Sun 11-Mar-18 08:59:24

I think you grow the placenta at 8 weeks so it's a common time to be ravenous. Plus the whole of pregnancy your body is saying 'I need to store fat' even if it has enough.

Try not to be too hard on yourself and go back to healthy eating whenever you can face it.

isthismummy Sun 11-Mar-18 09:04:40

I was starving at 8 weeks, but also have mild HG, so it was a tricky one. I ate carbs, but stuck to whole grain ones.

I think the main thing would be to shop more healthily. If you don't have all the crap in the house in the first place then you can't eat it.

Good luck with your pregnancy. This first trimester is a bastard. I'm 11+3 now and utterly fed up with it!

isthismummy Sun 11-Mar-18 09:05:56

Oh and I still can't touch a vegetable! I can manage some fruits, but that's it.

Fruitcocktail6 Sun 11-Mar-18 09:06:51

I was the same from about 6-9 weeks. Vegetables made me feel sick, all I wanted was junk food. I'm 11 weeks now and appetite generally back to normal, so I really wouldn't worry about eating crap for a few weeks.

BiscayTrafalgarFitzroy Sun 11-Mar-18 09:09:27

I'm the same at nearly 8 weeks! I was a healthy 10st at my booking appt and I'm dreading my next weight check.

I just need junk food and also weird combinations of foods like extra garlic bread with everything. I'm trying to be healthy but everything tastes so good.

ballerini Sun 11-Mar-18 09:25:42

Thanks, I thought it was in my head about being off vegetables. Nice to know it's something a lot of people seem to go through.
@isthismummy my sister had HG and I am so grateful not to have it or any sickness at all. My nausea is very mild and only started last Sunday. I really haven't had it bad at all. I can't imagine how hard it must be to have HG, mild or otherwise because I've been a little bit of a moan even just feeling a bit icky!

misshannah Sun 11-Mar-18 13:55:04

I'm 16wks and have pretty much the same diet as you. I cannot face vegetables at all but am ok with fruit so try to eat what I can of that.

I think my diet would be better but we are renovating so I only have a microwave at the moment and the thought of package dinners is envy. Should have a kitchen next month so hoping my diet improves then.

I wouldn't worry too much, eat what you can.

FranticallyPeaceful Sun 11-Mar-18 15:07:20

Take your vitamins and eat what you like. It’s 9 months, it will be miserable enough without worrying about food

BumbleNova Sun 11-Mar-18 17:45:24

My diet is also woeful at the moment, just can't get anything healthy down. All I want is salty food. Fruit makes me gag. I'm hoping it won't last long...

HeavyLoad Sun 11-Mar-18 19:14:39

I ate terribly in the first 3months of borh pregnancies. I craved cheese, carbs, anything salty and for some weird reason, strawberry flavoured sweets.

Everyone i speak to says the same thing. You are just building up.your fat stores, plus you need salt for amniotic fluid so I would just eat what you want now and make the most of it! Third trimester you won't have much room for food so time to indulge now!!

HeavyLoad Sun 11-Mar-18 19:16:21

Oh yeah, i also ate coconut milk directly from the can and creme fraiche/mascarpone cheese like it was a yoghurt blush so def needed fatty foods haha.

ChilliCheeseMama Sun 11-Mar-18 19:23:50

I ate sooooo much crap in my first few weeks, but after about 11/12 weeks it seems to get easier and I've actually eaten a salad and some vegetables now in my 14th week!

Go easy on yourself and eat properly when you actually fancy it. I'm by no means overweight either and was hitting the gym hard and eating so well before my morning sickness started so just use this time to relax and grow your baby, they'll take what they need smile

Plus I can no longer now look pickled onion monster munch or takeaway curry the same way again now as I ate soooo much of them so you'll probably feel the same 😂

WreckItRach Tue 13-Mar-18 18:49:30

I try and eat reasonably well but always end up snacking rubbish food too! I'm 27 weeks now, I am just trying to listen to my body. If I fancy a packet of crisps or chocolate I will have it, I just try to then make sure I eat something healthier for my next snack.
I have also gone off some vegetables!

User1983 Wed 14-Mar-18 07:51:22

I was the same at that stage in my pregnancy but it passed after about 20 weeks. I mentioned it to the midwife at the time as I was worried about the effect all the junk was having on baby but she said it’s fine as long as you take your vitamins. I find the first trimester very rough so I just did what I needed to do to survive and if that meant 20 packets of crisps per day so be it!

thenewaveragebear1983 Wed 14-Mar-18 09:09:12

I had HG and I found any natural foods really really off-putting. It was pure junk all the way, the More processed the better! Plus I was hungry all the time, so the combination of both factors did mean I gained a lot of weight.

Once I returned to eating normally the weight gain slowed down!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: