Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Bleeding at 5 weeks

(22 Posts)
lostmyfeckingkeysagain Fri 23-Feb-18 07:55:34

Hi

I'm 5 weeks pregnant with baby no 2 and last night I noticed when I went to the loo and wiped there was a bit of brownish/red blood. I checked again about half an hour later and there was a little more (not enough to need a pad or anything) but then it stopped. I also had some spotting after sex a few days ago but again this wasn't much and was short lived. I'm just worried that something is wrong and I'm not sure what to do. I didn't have this at all with my first pregnancy.

Everything I've read says to let your midwife know if you have any bleeding but I haven't even seen a midwife yet and am not due to see her for a few weeks. Should I call the GP surgery or just wait and keep my fingers crossed until my 12 week scan? Is there anything they can actually do if I do call them?

DH and I are supposed to be going away tomorrow for the weekend with friends (who don't know I'm pregnant) but I don't want to go if I'm about to miscarry sad

ClareB83 Fri 23-Feb-18 09:17:46

That doesn't sound like anything to worry about OP. Probably just your cervix being a bit sensitive.

I would just keep waiting for your regular 12 week scan.

But if you do go to your GP the most they can do is send you to EPU who can do a scan. Although I think some won't do that until 6 weeks as there is so little to see. You might also get turned away as it's so small an amount of blood. They're only concerned if you fill a spade within an hour.

And even then baby can be fine. I had massive bleeds at 9 and 11 weeks and babies were fine.

PurplePotatoes Fri 23-Feb-18 09:19:21

I had brown spotting / bleeding at 5 weeks with both my DC, the first time I had an early scan and the sonographer said it was a very common time for further implantation which can cause some spotting.

lostmyfeckingkeysagain Fri 23-Feb-18 09:47:26

I called the GP and they said to go straight to the EPU but I'm worried I'll get down there and they'll turn me away as it's so early. I also have a four year old with me and DH is away for work so would have to take her with me.

Brownbear84 Fri 23-Feb-18 10:45:07

Go to epau they'll do you an internal scan hun,can anyone watch your little one? Not ideal to take them if it's bad news xxx

lostmyfeckingkeysagain Fri 23-Feb-18 11:33:43

Ended up leaving DD with a friend and now sat in EPAU waiting area. Been sat here for an hour. They seemed annoyed that my GP had sent me without calling first. Not sure what they can do but they haven't turned me away. Fingers crossed.

Brownbear84 Fri 23-Feb-18 12:03:14

Yer my gp referred me but least your getting soon. Let us know xx

TheCatsMother44 Fri 23-Feb-18 13:39:14

I had almost identical to you but at around 6 weeks. I was advised it was likely implantation bleeding and I'm now 39 weeks pregnant and all is going well.

By all means get it checked out but try not to worry too much.

mintich Fri 23-Feb-18 13:44:50

I had that with my first baby, and they scanned me. Unfortunately I had bleeding my whole pregnancy on and off! I was up and down to the hospital like a yoyo. They said it was a mixture of a tender cervix and there was also bleeding in my uterine wall from stretching.

lostmyfeckingkeysagain Fri 23-Feb-18 13:58:18

Thank you all for your replies. It's reassuring to hear that some of you have had similar experiences and had a positive outcome.

After sitting in the EPAU waiting room for two hours I saw a nurse who asked me a few questions and then told me i've got to come back on Monday for a scan. So i'm still none the wiser sad

Aprilshowerswontbelong Fri 23-Feb-18 14:02:49

Unfortunately at this early stage its a waiting game. Ttc is torturous at times. Keep busy with your dd and it will be Monday before you know it. Fingers crossed 🤞 for you op.

FizzyOrange Fri 23-Feb-18 14:06:06

I had this at 6 weeks and again at 10 weeks but mine went on for a few days each time. My DD is in her early twenties so this was in the days when the very early scans didn't exist. Both the midwife and gp didn't seem too concerned as it is so common but said to call if I had fresh red blood or pain. The gp also said it could happen every month throughout my pregnancy when my period would have been due. However, I only had it on these two occasions.

It is very scary when it happens, hope you get the news you are hoping for on Monday.

SpongeCake23 Fri 23-Feb-18 14:56:23

@FizzyOrange Sorry to hijack this thread, but are pains with spotting something to be concerned about. I've had AF cramps on and off since finding out, had some pink spotting too.

EastDulwichWife Fri 23-Feb-18 14:59:17

I had a big bleed at 5 weeks OP and, 22 weeks later, the little wriggler is kicking me as I type! Try not to worry, bleeding is really common in the first trimester (as I found out), and as long as it's not accompanied by cramping or pain is usually nothing to worry about. Fingers crossed for you! x

FizzyOrange Fri 23-Feb-18 15:13:40

SpongeCake23 I think in my case the midwife and gp meant severe pain in connection with the bleeding I had had.

KnitKitty Fri 23-Feb-18 17:28:33

I've just had an early scan due to bleeding today.

I had some dark red blood on Tuesday night have have been spotting brown ever since.

They found nothing on the scan which might suggest why I've been bleeding, but confirmed I was pregnant as they could see a yolk sac. I thought I was 6 weeks but they said it looks like I'm not yet, as they couldn't quite see an embryo yet.

I'm going back in for another scan on the 7th March to check on progress.

The nurse I saw said that bleeding can be totally normal at this stage. She said one theory is it's almost as if your womb lining has thickened too much and so some sheds off and pools. This was reassuring to hear.

I know you must be really scared, because I am still. But just try to take it easy and relax as much as you can.

Sending you positive thoughts and hugs. Hope everything goes ok on Monday.

lostmyfeckingkeysagain Fri 23-Feb-18 19:43:09

Thank you all for being so lovely. Feeling much calmer now, have sort of resigned myself to the fact that I can't influence the outcome so there's no point panicking.

Just thinking about how to manage the situation with work as I wasn't planning on telling anyone at work until after my 12 week scan, but will need time off on Monday for the early scan so it's forced my hand. I work in a school and as it's half term there's been no one in to speak to today so will just have to go to the (quite scary, not very approachable) Head first thing Monday morning and tell her I need the afternoon off.

KnitKitty Fri 23-Feb-18 20:29:43

Yes, I had the same situation. Didn't want to tell anyone at work yet but I had to due to time off. Glad I did though because they've been very caring and it's good to know they won't make me over-do it.

You do have to leave things up to fate, but it's easier said than done.

Brownbear84 Sat 24-Feb-18 07:35:20

It's really in your best interests to tell work as soon as you find out!! They need to do risk assessment asap and it's for your safety and the babies and then any time of sick etc doesn't get recorded as normal sick xx

Ceara Sat 24-Feb-18 07:57:26

Good luck OP. Spotting isn't normal exactly, but it's really quite common and very often everything turns out fine. I had a little bleed at 6 weeks (fortunately already had a routine early scan booked in at IVF clinic) and spotting - brownish or red - through the first trimester. It was an anxious time (had lots of scans, which at least gave temporary reassurance) but the issue had resolved by 16 weeks and my baby was born at 39 weeks safe and well. Hang on in there. Re telling work, my line manager already knew because of the IVF but I had to tell some other colleagues at 6 weeks, and our director, due to the time off for scans etc. Work were fantastically caring and supportive, and I'm sure I would also have wanted their support if I had miscarried. So I hope you don't need to worry about telling work before the traditional 12 weeks.

lostmyfeckingkeysagain Mon 26-Feb-18 16:57:07

UPDATE:

Just been for my early scan and it was "inconclusive". So I'm none the wiser basically confused
They could see the yoke sac (which is what the embryo feeds off) but no embryo. They said this means that either I'm not as far along as I thought (entirely possible as my cycles are irregular) or that "something has gone wrong". No way of telling which at this stage. I've got to go back for another scan in a couple of weeks.

I haven't had anymore bleeding over the weekend and only some very mild cramping (which could well be my IBS playing up rather than anything baby related) so I suppose that's a good sign.

I know I should be grateful that it's not bad news as such but I'm finding the uncertainty very difficult sad

ClareB83 Mon 26-Feb-18 17:06:16

Of course you're finding it difficult. It's stressful waiting and not knowing.

Fingers crossed for you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: