Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Hospital Bags

(21 Posts)
emily199027 Mon 19-Feb-18 17:36:12

Currently 29 weeks so planning on starting to pack my hospital back in the next few weeks.
This is my 2nd baby but the first time I took 3 bags. One for labour, one for me for after and one for the baby. It definitely felt like I had too much 😂 my husband had to make two trips to the car so I don't really want that this time!!

So what's your hospital bag like? I'm thinking of taking a suitcase...but I don't want to look like I'm off on my jolly's 😂
Would a small suitcase be enough?
I can always leave an extra bag in the car if need be I guess.

Lauraandbump2 Mon 19-Feb-18 17:53:18

I'm 30 weeks, this is my second pregnancy too and I'm planning to pack my hospital bag this week. I took a large holdall for me and the baby last time and my partner took a small holdall for himself. We had to stay in for 3 nights last time and my mum and sister had to bring extra clothes for us all, hoping I'm not in for aslong this time but you never know!

This time I'm planning to do the same as you, taking a small hand luggage sized travel case for me and the baby and my partner will take a bag for himself too. I'd rather take a bit extra but leave it in the car just in case as we have since moved area since my last labour and the hospital is a good hour away.

emily199027 Mon 19-Feb-18 19:11:37

@Lauraandbump2 I'm glad I'm not the only one taking a case 😂
I found last time it was quite difficult to find things in the bag...and you know what men are like...if they can't see it it's not there!!!
So I'm thinking a case will probably be easier to pack and find things too!

Lauraandbump2 Mon 19-Feb-18 19:20:55

The holdall stressed me out tbh too! I'm a bit of an organisation freakhmm so travel case much simpler to grab things you need right there and then.

Mummyloves09 Mon 19-Feb-18 19:53:11

I'm taking a small case too and a changing bag. Easier that way.
My first birth was so long ago (8 years) I can't even remember what I took.

harrietm87 Mon 19-Feb-18 20:23:05

I was planning on taking a hand luggage sized case with the baby's stuff in a separate bag inside it, and DH can bring a backpack for his own stuff and our snacks.

Is it really necessary to bring your own pillow and towels as these take up quite a bit of room!

emily199027 Mon 19-Feb-18 20:34:46

@harrietm87
I took my own towel last time and plan to this time...a black one so there's no visible blood stains.
I didn't take my own pillow though and don't intend to this time either x

Lauraandbump2 Mon 19-Feb-18 20:44:32

I took a pillow but had to bin it by end of labour - but mine was very long! Just reminded me to take carrier bag for dirty laundry.

RosaBaby2 Mon 19-Feb-18 21:42:11

Also 29 weeks here and thinking about getting prepared, I’m going to take a hand luggage size suitcase and then baby change bag (which is a Cath Kidston rucksack so not huge)
Someone asked a similar question yesterday and there were some great suggestions about how little we actually need to take with us. Can’t find it now hmm

April45 Tue 20-Feb-18 03:04:09

I took a suitcase, nice and easy to access. Organise half for you he for baby.

Sittingintheshade Tue 20-Feb-18 03:37:33

I’ve got a hold-all for baby, a small case for me and an emergency bag to keep in the car (extra pants and clothes, nappies, wipes etc). We were in 9 days with dc1 and I don’t want to be that disorganised again, at least she can just nip to the car if we’re in need of something.
Have put baby outfits in ziplock bags so they’re easily findable.

mehhh Tue 20-Feb-18 08:31:20

I took a small case and then an extra bag, I'd rather take too much than not have something I really need/want

user1499786242 Tue 20-Feb-18 09:45:40

Ooh I'm planning on taking a hand luggage size suitcase!! I'm thinking it will be much easier to wheel it in rather than carry various bags!
Depending on how much stuff I can fit in I'm thinking of taking a change bag type thing with all babies stuff in!

emily199027 Tue 20-Feb-18 16:41:28

I'm thinking of taking a changing bag with babies bits in too...I'll put a first outfit/nappies etc in my case but will take an extra bag for extra sleepsuits and things that we can leave in the car.

What else is everyone taking? Any must haves?

Sittingintheshade Tue 20-Feb-18 21:17:30

Must haves - earplugs! Big dark coloured pants in case of c section. Puzzle book in case of induction/boredom. Phone charger. Lip salve - I love Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream

ExhaustedAndHormonal Tue 20-Feb-18 21:22:47

Small roller case. Then a bag with drinks and formula in.
Dp won't take a bag as we. Live minutes from the hospital anyway and hell. Shower before going.

emily199027 Wed 21-Feb-18 08:21:20

I've got my big black pants at the ready 😂 primark...3 pairs for £2 so I got 2packs!!
I'm unsure of how I'll be delivering yet so c section is a possibility.
Top of my list is dry shampoo.

KittyKK Wed 21-Feb-18 10:13:57

Planning to take a medium size suitcase, which is a definite improvement on first time when I had 3 bags, a bouncy ball and a yoga mat 😊

Definitely take your own pillow!! Hospital pillows are plastic, noisy and really uncomfortable!!

Mummyloves09 Wed 21-Feb-18 10:41:21

I was a Bit stuck on what to pack to be honest.

I know night dresses with nursing access, big knickers, nursing bra, breast pads, a comfy outfit to go home, toiletries and flip flops.

Baby's bag: nappies, water wipes, nappy cream, 2× mulsin clothes, nursing pillow, 2 x blankets, 4 changes of clothes and hats.

I have most probably missed loads out.

emily199027 Wed 21-Feb-18 11:16:32

Maternity pads too & a dressing gown too.
And a phone charger!

Boots have maternity pads on 3 for 2 so I've stocked up on those!

Astrid2 Wed 21-Feb-18 16:39:43

@Mummyloves09 you don't need nappy cream, midwives advise against it until baby is over 3 months. Even then you should only use it to treat a rash rather than prevent. Nappies have a protective barrier to keep their wee bums dry!

I am taking a hand luggage case for me/husband, change bag for baby and a rucksack with entertainment and snacks! Defo taking my own pillow and nursing pillow too.

I have 2 nursing PJs, 2 packs of big pants, 2 outfits for me - leggings, feeding vest and cardi, 2 pairs socks, big Tshirt to labour in, flip flops, breast pads, maternity pants, travel size shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, moisturiser, toothbrush and paste, hair brush and dry shampoo, ear plugs, hand held fan, scent less roll on deodorant (apparently babies can be put off breastfeeding if you're deo/perfume is too strong!)

For baby I have 3 long sleeve vests, 2 short sleeve vests, 5 baby grows, 2 pairs scratch mitts, 2 little hats, 2 cardigans, pram suit, 3 muslins, 2 blankets, cotton wool, pack of water wipes and a pick of size 2 nappies!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: