Talk

Advanced search

Have I just messed up?!

(21 Posts)
SpongeCake23 Sat 17-Feb-18 19:25:25

I just ate prawns for starter (cold in a prawn cocktail) and hollandaise sauce for main. Just remembered about the raw egg!

Lj8893 Sat 17-Feb-18 19:29:39

The risk is low, I wouldn't panic. Women in various other countries don't regulate what they eat in pregnancy and their babies are fine.

AssassinatedBeauty Sat 17-Feb-18 19:30:51

Prawns are fine. Eggs in the UK (presumably where you are?) are now considered not a risk raw as the instances of salmonella are so low. So don't worry about it :-)

AssassinatedBeauty Sat 17-Feb-18 19:33:51

To be specific, it's lion marked eggs:

https://www.food.gov.uk/news-updates/news/2017/16597/new-advice-on-eating-runny-eggs

Over 90% of eggs are lion marked.

AnUtterIdiot Sat 17-Feb-18 19:36:21

You'll be fine. Lion marked eggs are fine and I can't imagine a British restaurant not using them. Prawns are also fine. The advice is not to overdo fish because of mercury (levels vary according to the type of fish) but fish was one of the few things that didn't taste really weird to me during pregnancy so I ate quite a lot of it.

SpongeCake23 Sat 17-Feb-18 19:39:23

Thanks you've reassured me. I've also had crab a few days ago (cooked).
It's weird that fish tastes fine to me but when I had a bite of my babybel light at lunchtime the other day I had to spit it into a tissue and throw it into the bin! It tasted horrendous.

AnUtterIdiot Sat 17-Feb-18 19:39:30

Quite seriously, people will tell you all the way through pregnancy that you can't eat this or drink that or do certain things. I really recommend reading "Expecting Better" by Emily Oster, who is an economic statistician and breaks down the stats behind the official advice and suggests what you can and can't do differently. You'll love her if you like coffee smile. But in any event, stick with the NHS website for advice on pregnancy - the NHS is mega cautious so you can be sure you're erring in the right (if somewhat boring) side.

AnUtterIdiot Sat 17-Feb-18 19:39:58

On. On the right hand side. Not sure what is wrong with my phone!

AssassinatedBeauty Sat 17-Feb-18 19:42:58

Cooked crab is fine. Check the NHS advice, that's all you need to stick to. There's so much stuff on the internet from other countries and other sources which are not up to date or correct.

AnUtterIdiot Sat 17-Feb-18 19:46:38

The good news is that all of this stuff resolves as if by magic after you deliver. An hour after my C-section I was eating garlicky herby veggie pasta, which I couldn't have been in the same room with two hours before.

Chocolatesaveslives Sat 17-Feb-18 19:47:05

Completely agree with AnUtter , that book is great.

In the meantime, read the NHS website for the list of what you can and can't eat so you don't worry unnecessarily about safe foods.

UserSnoozer Sat 17-Feb-18 19:49:05

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

AssassinatedBeauty Sat 17-Feb-18 19:51:15

Because she forgot, @UserSnoozer? And as it turns out there is nothing to actually worry about, so why you think it's stupid is puzzling.

Lj8893 Sat 17-Feb-18 19:52:43

user helpful hmm

UserSnoozer Sat 17-Feb-18 19:53:59

You don't know the harm eggs do clearly, pregnant or not. And if you're pregnant you don't forget these things unless u forget smoking is bad in pregnancy along side alcohol

AssassinatedBeauty Sat 17-Feb-18 19:55:36

Please do explain the harm eggs do?

Of course it's easy to forget the long list of various different things! I used to forget about mould rinded cheese all the time. It's nothing like smoking for goodness sake.

Lj8893 Sat 17-Feb-18 19:56:25

Eggs are fine in pregnancy User. What exactly do you think they do?

QueenNefertitty Sat 17-Feb-18 19:56:46

Snoozer....

Fuck off, there's a love.

AnUtterIdiot Sat 17-Feb-18 20:06:52

Oh God no PLEASE don't encourage this idiot to disseminate a load of nonsense about eggs

AnUtterIdiot Sat 17-Feb-18 20:08:13

PS it's not proper trolling if you only start trying after the OP knows eggs are OK

AssassinatedBeauty Sat 17-Feb-18 20:08:15

Sorry! I was just curious what the explanation would be.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: