Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Rhesus Negative enquiry

(19 Posts)
Tauruaash92 Sat 17-Feb-18 17:31:30

Good evening, my name is Taurus, have had two abortions on different occasions. Few years after these abortions, I found out an O-Negative blood type and was told I was to be given an Anti D injection.
My fear now is that the doctor said I can't have baby again, though not proven medically but my assumptions following my blood type.
Please doctors, is there a way out for me ? What should I do?

Grumpyoldwoman007 Sat 17-Feb-18 17:34:38

As long as you were less than 12 weeks before the pregnancies ended you will be ok. You only need anti d after a pregnancy loss or bleed after 12 weeks gestation. Hope that helps

TheNecroscope Sat 17-Feb-18 17:35:56

If you're rh negative you will routinely be given anti-d throughout your pregnancy to avoid problems with your baby so it's nothing to worry about.

zaalitje Sat 17-Feb-18 17:39:07

At what stage did you have the abortions?
And were they surgical or medical?
It makes a difference or the anti-d injection

arbrighton Sat 17-Feb-18 18:52:56

I was given anti-D anyway at 28 weeks based on blood type of me and DH alone
They test for antibodies at that point and after the birth and give more anti D if necessary.

Your assumptions about not being to have a baby have no foundation.

gryffen Sat 17-Feb-18 19:09:56

Why would the doctor say you can't have a baby again after two abortions unless something went wrong or you had sterilization?

AntiD is nothing to do with it, you get it after 12 weeks due to a bleed or loss or in my case every 2 months due to having had a previous haemoglobin count of 50 (meant to be 150+).

I'm ORhDneg and hubby is O+ so it's standard with us- daughter in 2014 was found to be same as me.

zaalitje Sat 17-Feb-18 19:43:52

Anti D is also given for surgical abortions before 12 weeks.

awankstainonhumanity Sat 17-Feb-18 20:17:49

If you had a surgical abortion and weren't given anti d, and the father of your baby was a rh positive blood type then there is a significant risk to future unborn babies. If your abortions were in the UK you almost certainly will have been given anti d. If you are unsure then ask to see your records at the place you had them done.

Fia256 Sat 17-Feb-18 20:25:47

I'm rhesus negative too. I've had completely different experiences with when they have decided to give the anti D! With DS I'd had a light bleed in the early stages and the midwife decided to give me the jab. I also have a friend who's had more than one abortion (early abortions with the pills rather than surgical) and she was given it every time.
On the other hand, I've also had 4 miscarriages. 3 were before 12 weeks and each time I questioned if I'd need anti D and they all said no there's no need as it's before 12 weeks. The only one I had it for was my late miscarriage

I'm now 11 weeks pregnant and everything is fine so far, and I have no anti bodies in my blood so please try not to worry too much x

Baubletrouble43 Sat 17-Feb-18 20:29:35

I also am rhesus negative and had an abortion and a miscarriage before having 3 healthy dds. I was never told this would be difficult, as pp says I was given anti d injection and I think antibody blood tests regularly throughout pregnancy. I don't believe you have grounds to believe you cannot have kids because of this issue x

Midnightpony Sat 17-Feb-18 20:36:24

What's your DH blood type?

RoseGoldRosie Sat 17-Feb-18 20:49:29

shockshock

I'm rhesus negative, had the anti D's in pregnancy with DD. Had an abortion last year, surgical around 14 weeks with BPAS. Didn't have anti D's then. It was never mentioned. I'm panicking now. Does this mean I may be infertile in the future??

arbrighton Sat 17-Feb-18 21:01:37

No, not at all, just means that they'll need to check any future pregnancies for antibodies (which they do anyway!)

RoseGoldRosie Sat 17-Feb-18 21:03:54

If you had a surgical abortion and weren't given anti d, and the father of your baby was a rh positive blood type then there is a significant risk to future unborn babies

The above has really scared me?

Tauruaash92 Sat 17-Feb-18 21:04:03

They were surgical abortions

Mummyontherun86 Sat 17-Feb-18 21:04:31

If you were given the anti D then there should be no issues. Less than 12 weeks isn’t an issue anyway. I’ve had numerous miscarriages and had no antibodies when they test during my pregnancy for my first child.
They also routinely check for this issue and will take steps to look after you if you do have antibodies (sounds highly unlikely) so don’t panic.

Tauruaash92 Sat 17-Feb-18 21:10:08

Thanks for all the encouraging comments, I will go do a check up on antibodies buildup to confirm

arbrighton Sat 17-Feb-18 21:22:13

Unless you are now pregnant, there is no need

Midnightpony Sun 18-Feb-18 15:25:41

You do know that if your partner is also Rh- then any baby will be Rh negative so the anti D won't be necessary?
What's his blood type before you get all caught up in worrying?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: