Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Episiotomy 2nd birth

(6 Posts)
user1499786242 Wed 14-Feb-18 17:05:34

Question to anyone who had an episiotomy with their first birth...

Did you have one (or tearing) with subsequent births?
If so was it the same place along the scar tissue?
Did you heal the same as the first time or worse/better?

For me that was the worst part about labour and it took me a long time to recover and I'm pretty terrified of it happening again!

Thanks
X

twobambinos Wed 14-Feb-18 18:09:27

Had one with the first. Just a tiny tear with the second. 1 stitch.

Loosemoose28 Wed 14-Feb-18 18:21:16

Have you looked into perineal massage?

gryffen Wed 14-Feb-18 18:29:19

Had one with first and they do another one with subsequent labours in our area to reduce risk of tears etc.
I'm consultant led so it's common.

moggle Wed 14-Feb-18 18:33:52

I had an episiotomy with DD 3 years ago after she needed small ventouse to get her round the last bit (she turned back to back). A month ago I had twins naturally and the first twin came out fine but second twin turned back to back and I tore along the scar despite him being under 7lb. It was stitched up better this time (was a bit tight last time but no lasting issues), and I’ve healed up perfectly. Once again the worst bit for me was the local anaesthetic injections for the stitches!

user1499786242 Wed 14-Feb-18 19:45:32

Thanks for the replies!
Interesting that some hospitals/consultants do one to prevent tearing, I am consultant led so will ask about that at my next appointment!

Midwife suggested massage and I am deffo going to do it!

So scared of having stitches again as I could barely sit down for weeks and looking after a toddler in that state will not be easy!

Baby has to come out so will just have to hope for the best!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: