Talk

Advanced search

Whipps Cross Hospital

(12 Posts)
Ktn35 Tue 13-Feb-18 21:51:18

Hi!
Anyone had any recent experience having a baby here? I am booked in but have a choice between Newham, Whipps or Homerton and I have heard bad stories and good stories about each but mainly from a few years ago.
I'd appreciate any feedback!
Thanks
X

Pinkbetty Tue 13-Feb-18 23:23:50

Not sure about Whipps Cross but I went for Newham. Only had my booking in appointment so far, but I read about the facilities. I think I read WC are still building a new maternity unit but Newham's is quite big and new.

Shruggy Tue 13-Feb-18 23:35:31

I had my son in Whipps four years ago and they were brilliant. A friend had her baby there last year and had a good experience too.
Have a look at the NHS reviews site and you can get more comparisons. At the end of the day it's often down to luck and timing of which staff are working when you go in and what time/period of the year.
Consider which you can get to quickest at any time of the day (traffic obviously changes during the day) in case of any last minute dash/emergency x

Eastend2015 Wed 14-Feb-18 09:21:54

Placemarking as Whipps is my local hospital

lookingforthecorkscrew Wed 14-Feb-18 10:46:25

I had my DS at Whipps in 2014 and it was handled very badly. Midwives neglected to tell me that my baby was back to back and left me writhing in agony on a trolley with NO PAIN RELIEF for 12 hours. Eventually after nearly 36 hours of labouring with no progression, despite induction via drop, my baby went into distress and we nearly lost him. I was whisked through for an emergency c section.

Aftercare was poor, I was still numb and unable to get up or lift my baby. I had to buzz for a midwife to get him out of his cot and bring him to me/change him. I was told off for buzzing for this reason - how else was I supposed to get him?! There was no BF support. Nobody spotted DS's 90% tongue tie and nobody remembered to remove my catheter until I asked 'should this still be in?'

Bluebirdsky Wed 14-Feb-18 13:15:13

Not sure where you live or what your birth plans are but there is a lovely birth centre run by Newham that's in Barking.

lookingforthecorkscrew Wed 14-Feb-18 13:22:30

I've found UCLH to be excellent this time around

Talcott2007 Wed 14-Feb-18 13:22:57

I had DD at Homerton in 2016 - Prenatal care was all fine - was consultant led from the start as underlying health condition meant pregancy was high risk and knew I would have have planned induction at 38weeks. BUT the induction itself was very very badly managed and the postnatal care was shocking. So although thats not what you asked I wouldnt recommend the Homerton at all!

olicat Wed 14-Feb-18 13:23:54

We must be in the same area as I was offered the same choice. 30.5 weeks into pregnancy with Homerton and very happy with the care I've received so far. My friend had a baby there 1.5 years ago - difficult labour and baby had a stay in NICU and she said she couldn't fault the care which helped me make the decision. Congrats on your pregnancy!

milney25 Wed 14-Feb-18 14:22:27

Interested in responses as I'm at whipps too. I've had a few problems that I've needed to go to the EPU for and they have been wonderful. I've heard bad things about Newham. But, I've heard excellent things about Hommerton, I didn't want to use it as my DH used to work there.

Ktn35 Wed 14-Feb-18 22:21:28

Thanks for advice guys. I seem to hear such mixed reviews about all of them. I really don't want to be going in and out of central London when it comes to The birth but I also want decent care! All 3 were in 'requires improvement' a couple of years ago and are now 'good' which is positive! I think people are right and it seems to depend on the day! Think I will stay with Whipps for now, ask to see the maternity unit and I can always change later if I'm not happy. However the Newham birthing centre in barking sounds worth investigating ...

harrietm87 Wed 14-Feb-18 22:40:35

Interested to see these. I'm 33 weeks and going to Homerton. Hope it's ok! Antenatal care has been great so far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now