Talk

Advanced search

Plus size mums to be?

(10 Posts)
SpongeCake23 Tue 13-Feb-18 20:12:38

Anyone else out there?

I'm an 18-20. Scared there will be complications.

ClareB83 Tue 13-Feb-18 20:17:52

I was 16-18 at start of pregnancy. Apart from being read some unpleasant risks at booking appointment and a glucose tolerance test this week there's been no complications related to weight. Plenty of plus size Mums and babies out there doing just fine.

SpongeCake23 Tue 13-Feb-18 20:19:27

@ClareB83 oh dear, what sort of things? I have bad health anxiety so that won't help me.

gryffen Tue 13-Feb-18 20:34:57

Hi lass I'm a 24-26 so nothing to worry about.

Midwife just likes scare stories such as higher risk of preeclampsia, GD, intervention etc.

1 - preeclampsia can hit at any weight.

2- plenty of skinny woman have GD too.

3- intervention is common in skinny woman too - you can't control labour or what baby does.

4- I was 50kg heavier in 2014 with dd1 and had no GD or PE and asked for intervention due to baby getting stuck.

Just relax and stay off Dr Google.

ClareB83 Tue 13-Feb-18 20:40:12

I'd tell your midwife at the outset that you have health anxiety maybe she won't go on about the risks too much. Mine went on about how she's always been slim!!

It's just things like being at increased risk of gestational diabetes and needing an epidural. But it seems a bit pointless reading it out to you when you're already pregnant. Plus it's just increased risk not guaranteed.

FranticallyPeaceful Tue 13-Feb-18 20:41:51

Size 20 and 26 weeks and everything is perfectly fine

PistFump Tue 13-Feb-18 20:48:11

I'm a size 24 and 28+3 - all is going fine so far. I have GTT on thurs and first growth scan to check the baby is growing ok. Just need to remember the risks are increased not guaranteed. Risks are applicable to everyone in pregnancy.

EmmaJR1 Tue 13-Feb-18 21:14:27

Hello, I'm a size 20 and has a ds 9.5 months ago and am currently 22 weeks pregnant. No gestational diabetes last time, gd check in 6 weeks for this one. Low blood pressure throughout both pregnancies - all bloods normal. My labour with ds was 6.5 hours long, only gas and air and no stitches. Weight does make some people higher risk but it's more about overall health, your physicality and mental approach. Talk to your midwife before she goes into details about possible risks. She does need to ask some questions but maybe doesn't need to give you massive insight/details. Good Luck - just concentrate on have that lovely baby in your arms!

charlottexox Tue 13-Feb-18 21:41:36

Hello!
Size 18-22 heregrin With my first pregnancy I had no complications but did need to take an aspirin a day from 16W up until I gave birth to thin my blood due to my weight. Got extra scans so could see DD every 4 weeks! Now in my second pregnancy and actually slightly bigger than what I was with DD, haven't had my booking appointment yet but will most likely have to go through the aspirin situation again.

Anyway, congratulations and big is beautiful wink

AnUtterIdiot Tue 13-Feb-18 22:27:09

I had gestational diabetes (BMI 39) and I promise you that I was always the only properly fat person in the clinic. Most of the women were average sized or thin. Worrying will not make you more or less likely to develop complications. I didn't particularly enjoy pregnancy as a physical state but I loved my bump and the movements so I would say find the things you like about being pregnant and just try to enjoy them rather than worrying about stuff that's beyond your control once you get pregnant anyway.

NB I would be TERRIBLE at taking this advice but it is still right!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now