Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Newborn clothes are huge!

(25 Posts)
Miajesse97 Tue 13-Feb-18 14:30:28

So I've started buying for my princess and ordered newborn and 0-3 to be prepared but my goodness the newborn looks huge ordered from matalan 😫 What do I do I don't want to buy tiny baby should I put them through the wash a few times ? Worried she won't have nothing to wear ( I'm only 18 weeks but buying now as have to be organised brain frys if not

Mol1628 Tue 13-Feb-18 14:34:25

Just wait till the baby arrives. If they’re a bit big it doesn’t matter. But if you do want something smaller then I found mothercare newborn a nice fit on my 7lb babies.
You want them with a bit of room though or they will be outgrown in the first week!

YesItsADebate Tue 13-Feb-18 14:35:19

Newborn clothes are very dinky smile For reference, my DS was LBW (low birth weight) at 5lb 2oz and needed tiny baby clothes for a few weeks. My DD was 8lb 10pz and needed 0-3 month clothes straightaway.

I’d say keep the newborn size, but stock up more on 0-3 months and only buy tiny baby size if your baby needs it when they’re born. Hopefully they won’t!

MrsJayy Tue 13-Feb-18 14:35:30

New borns grow and you can turn up clothes don't you do get smaller clothes in asda boots and primark up to7lLb I had prem babies and they had a few outfits from boots and asda but dont go mad buying or trying to shrink new clothes

BrutusMcDogface Tue 13-Feb-18 14:38:08

18 weeks!? Newborn clothes aren't that small, if you have an average sized baby......at the moment it's the size of a turnip or something. It has 22 weeks left to grow. Surely if you wash stuff now, it's going to be all dusty and fusty by the time the baby is born?

BrutusMcDogface Tue 13-Feb-18 14:39:26

My three were average sized (bit larger than average) and all fitted into newborn clothes for a little while- my son only two weeks! Then onto 0-3.

Miajesse97 Tue 13-Feb-18 14:45:04

It's all got plastic covering and only ordered a bits as I still didn't feel pregnant and wanted it to all feel real so I can start enjoying plus they had a great sale on! How could I not 😂 But yeah that's what I thought she will grow into them and probably won't be as small as I'm visualising 😂

NC1990 Tue 13-Feb-18 15:46:12

My daughter was 7lbs when she was born (dropped to 6lbs 3oz after birth) and went straight into the up to 1 month size. They were big on her to start with but that really doesn't matter, you can just roll up the sleeves and she soon grew into them (and out of them!).

MyKingdomForBrie Tue 13-Feb-18 15:48:01

Unless your baby is a preemie they will fit.. that’s the point of the sizing really. If you haven’t even opened the packaging then I’m not sure what you’re going on to say they’re big?

Buxbaum Tue 13-Feb-18 15:59:46

DD had outgrown newborn and was into 0-3 by two weeks old.

Unless your baby is prem, they will fit.

mollifly Tue 13-Feb-18 16:05:14

Your pregnancy will drag if you're already buying things! 18 weeks is early to have started.

Miajesse97 Tue 13-Feb-18 17:27:36

Moneys really right Hun and I'm doing a job that I don't feel like I can do for much longer as it's draining me I'm f**** my back 😫 So I want to buy what I can while I have the money and not rely on my partner to get everything if that makes sence we just wanted to get a few dresses and baby grows to make it all feel real as my partner hasent been showing much excitement so I thought buying would help and it has so win win and I've taken the sleepsuits out to look at sizing

popsugar Tue 13-Feb-18 17:31:07

New born is huge it's up to 10lbs or something

All 4 of my dc's were between 5.5 and 6.5lbs so all were on early baby and didn't go into newborn until 5/6 weeks old

WindyWednesday Tue 13-Feb-18 17:32:33

Carry on, buy things now and prepare before the baby arrives. Newborn and 0-3 are no the same size. I had a 7lb baby and 0-3 was far too big, in the end used the newborn for longer than of have thought because she lost weight due to feeding issues,

Katescurios Tue 13-Feb-18 17:32:36

My DD was born 8lb 11oz, newborn size fit for 1 week then she was in 0-3.

PinkAvocado Tue 13-Feb-18 17:33:07

Sainsbury’s newborn size is up to 7lb but some places have newborn as up to 10lb. Sainsbury’s have 25% off TU clothing at the moment if that helps.

NapQueen Tue 13-Feb-18 17:35:23

They fill out newborn within a week or two so only buy tiny baby sized if you get to the end of the pregnancy and are told baby will be early/under 6lb.

Next do 0-1 month size which mine got lots of wear out of.

Ebay is also great for bulk sleepsuits in excellent second hand

Katescurios Tue 13-Feb-18 17:35:58

Save up any points you get on loyalty cards and sign up to the baby clubs, we got loads of tesco £3 off a £10 spend on baby clothes coupons which when combined with clubcard vouchers and sales meant we got lots of clothes free or close to free.

Makingworkwork Tue 13-Feb-18 17:36:58

My midwife told me not to buy new born and to go straight to up to one month. It lasted my big baby two weeks until I had to move her into 0-3 months clothes.

SomehowSomewhere1 Tue 13-Feb-18 20:57:04

I started at 10wks, buying little bits here and there as I saw them in the sales - made sense to me. Plus I got to buy them while walking was easier.

Miajesse97 Tue 13-Feb-18 22:11:11

Somehowsomewhere1
I think everyone is different ain't they i personally think unless in a great financial situation then buying from early on is a great idea and makes things feel so much more real

JudgeTinder Tue 13-Feb-18 22:20:20

@Miajesse97 I've been squirrelling baby things away from 12 weeks! Also needed to stretch it out financially and make the most of sales/deals. I'm glad I did as I have everything I wanted to get for him. I'm now 39 weeks and am enjoying putting my feet up!

WTFIsThisVirus Tue 13-Feb-18 22:22:49

DS went straight into 0-3 lol. You might have a big baby

If you don't, as my mum always says "big is a fit"

FayJay Tue 13-Feb-18 22:24:21

Depends on the size of your baby really. My babies were both full term but on the smaller side (around 6lbs) and were swamped by newborn things. They both wore ‘tiny baby’ things for a few weeks.

It’s one of those things you cannot know until your baby arrives.

EssentialHummus Tue 13-Feb-18 22:26:33

I’d buy newborn size close to your due date so you can return the clothes if they turn out to be redundant.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: