Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Which multivitamins? Advice please

(5 Posts)
Shellios1 Mon 12-Feb-18 22:34:21

I'm still breastfeeding my baby at night and have been taking the Pregnacare for Breastfeeding multivitamin since I started on the advice of my health visitor. Feeds are decreasing slowly and I hope to wean off night feeds soon, although I have a feeling it could take a while! However I've recently found out I'm pregnant again and was wondering whether I should now swap to the original Pregnacare for pregnancy or continue with the one for breastfeeding? Not seeing the midwife for my booking appointment for a few weeks so any advice welcome please. Thank you.

Pittcuecothecookbook Tue 13-Feb-18 06:06:48

Does the breastfeeding one have folic acid in? I imagine that of you compare ingredients they'll be pretty similar but make sure your getting folic acid now you know you're pregnant

Shellios1 Tue 13-Feb-18 08:45:40

Thank you. I will check

mindutopia Tue 13-Feb-18 12:07:15

It's up to you really, but you want one that has the right amounts of both folic acid and vitamin d (check NHS guidelines). Importantly though, you want to make sure what you're taking doesn't have vitamin A in it. I would assume it's more likely that the breastfeeding ones do contain vitamin A as most standard (non-pregnancy) multivitamins do. If so, I'd stop taking it immediately and switch to something safe for pregnancy. If you like the regular pregnacare ones, then I'd go for those.

Pittcuecothecookbook Tue 13-Feb-18 16:20:41

It depends on the vitamin A: easier to avoid it completely but one with Beta-carotene Vitamin A is safe (think carrots, and other veggies and fruit) rather than retinol (liver etc).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: