Talk

Advanced search

What should I be organising/buying?

(12 Posts)
CabbagePatch91 Mon 12-Feb-18 20:48:24

Hello,

I'm 12 weeks and want to make a start on getting organised so I'm wondering if you could help me in coming up with a list of things I'll need.

So far I have a cot and a pram that a family member has given me. I know I'll need a baby bath, breast feeding pillow etc. But what are important things that I'll no doubt not know about as a first time mum?

Thanks in advance flowers

cautiousoptimist1 Mon 12-Feb-18 20:56:47

Important things are;
- somewhere to sleep (so Moses basket/bedside crib) if the cot won't fit in with you
- something to eat (so bottles/formula/steriliser if FF)
- method of travel - so pram/sling/car seat whichever suits your circumstances
- nappies
- clothes
- muslins are always on my essentials list!

You don't need a baby bath, nappy bag, changing unit so you can take the time to decide what you need. If you're on a budget, look for mum2mum markers or NCT sales as you'll get some bargains. Remember that advise is to not use a second hand mattress or car seat.

CabbagePatch91 Thu 15-Feb-18 16:28:15

Thank you so much for this very helpful list!

Sorry for being silly but what's mum2mum makers and NCT sales?

Thanks flowers

Astrid2 Thu 15-Feb-18 16:53:54

I didn't buy a single thing until I was 28 weeks! There's no rush. I would focus on saving money at the moment and buying stuff in a couple of months!

Sunrise888 Thu 15-Feb-18 17:03:57

I agree, if I could do it again, I'd only buy the absolute essentials, plus Amazon prime membership so you can buy things overnight as you need it. I got a lot of stuff on discount/in sales which ended up not being necessary.

Also this was actually my best buy for my 2nd/3rd trimester and after the birth 😁

www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/small-storage-organisers/racks-stands/omsorg-shoehorn-assorted-colours-art-00064662/

InDubiousBattle Thu 15-Feb-18 17:09:56

NCT= National Childbirth Trust. It's a charity and as part of their fund raising they host sales where paople can sell on used baby gear. Mum2mum (and Table tots)are a similar thing. You can get some real bargains.

trevthecat Thu 15-Feb-18 17:12:12

Nappies! Loads! Different brands just in case. And different sizes. Average new born goes through 8 a day so work out ish how much. My ds is 17 weeks, were down to the last pre baby pack!! And wipes, again different brands just in case. This was my 3rd dc and this time we got a next to me crib. Absolutely love it. Good luck

strawberrysparkle Thu 15-Feb-18 17:15:06

I would advise not buying anything until at least 20 weeks, 30 if you can make it. Your pregnancy will feel long if not!

I mentioned to my midwife I was going shopping at 24 weeks and she advised that was very early.

Chocolatesaveslives Thu 15-Feb-18 17:18:00

As you're so early on I would start by just making a list now and waiting. Then only buy stuff if it's on sale as and when.

If it's your first you'll probably find friends and family want to buy you bits and if you've bought it all then there'll be nothing for them to buy and obviously if they're buying for you it's saving you money!

I also found from experience that buying early made later pregnancy drag more and it would have been nicer to spread out the purchases more.

sirlee66 Thu 15-Feb-18 17:32:56

I'd recommend having your list of stuff to buy but then only buying a few each month (really helped us by spreading the cost over 4/5 months) the worst month was when we bought the travel system!

BrutusMcDogface Thu 15-Feb-18 18:29:30

I've fed three children without a breastfeeding pillow! smile that doesn't mean you wouldn't find it useful, of course, but ime it's not essential.

I also second the recommendation for a bedside crib. We rented the bednest and loved it. Think others have said that in comparison, the chicco next to me was bigger. It's worth doing a bit of research and window shopping before buying! Exciting!

Sassy306 Thu 15-Feb-18 19:18:48

The best thing you could buy just now is a body pillow...there are loads of different styles just pick which you like best..I got a c shaped one at 14 weeks and I swear I wouldn't have had any sleep without it lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now