Talk

Advanced search

Cyclizine for morning, anyone taken this?

(25 Posts)
charlottexox Mon 12-Feb-18 19:06:52

5 weeks pregnant and awful sickness. Doctor today prescribed me this, wondering if it worked for any of you ladies and if your baby had any problems and was born happy and healthy?

hoopdeloop Mon 12-Feb-18 19:09:55

I used it when pregnant with DS1 and through my current pregnancy. I have hyperemisis though so I had to use it alternately with stemetil to have an effect. However you might find it’s enough to help with your sickness. DS is almost 3 and absolutely fine!

coffeeneeded Mon 12-Feb-18 19:09:55

It worked for me. I was sick from week 4-15. Doc prescribed me the drugs at around week 6 but I didn't trust them for some reason. Then a lovely midwife I spoke to gave me the confidence and they worked! I could finally function and eat.

My twins were born happy and healthy!

Do it. They'll help!

Namechanger2015 Mon 12-Feb-18 19:14:33

I had hyperemesis with all 3 pregnancies, and I was prescribed cyclazine only in my third pregnancy as I had changed GP.

It didn't take away the sick feeling but it did stop me throwing up and becoming dehydrated. It was the only pregnancy I didn't end up needing fluids via a drip in hospital.

All 3 DDs are happy and healthy with no issues whatsoever.

I would definitely take it if you need it.

Ready salted hula hoops and Macdonald's fries helped me at times - salty food, but very little amounts. Please try to keep sipping fluids even if its only tiny amounts. Cold Ribena and ice-cold coke helped me at times.

Good luck and congratulations flowers

InaConfusedState Mon 12-Feb-18 19:17:51

I had an allergic reaction to it. I’ve not had reactions to any other meds. I read online afterwards that lots of people experienced problems but could be lots and lots more people that were absolutely fine.

Sorry I know that’s not what you want to hear. If you have it, make sure it’s in daytime so you can go easily to doc if you don’t react well.

coffeeneeded Mon 12-Feb-18 19:21:00

Callypo's also helped me!! Ice cold and sugary. Another recommendation from the lovely midwife

seafooodplatter Mon 12-Feb-18 19:24:16

Cyclizine worked wonders for me. Stopped nausea and sickness.
Perfectly healthy baby.

Newnaime Mon 12-Feb-18 19:28:00

I wouldn't worry about it having a negative effect on you or baby. I've taken it with both pregnancies, unfortunately it wasn't strong enough to have much of an effect. Ondansetron was better but my hyperemesis just couldn't be eased

resipsa Mon 12-Feb-18 20:17:44

I had it. No effect on baby but I found sweet/salty popcorn better for reducing nausea and vomiting! Ondansetran was way better but it's expensive so prescribed 'with care' 🙄

Newnaime Mon 12-Feb-18 20:21:20

resipsa oh really! Each of my prescriptions was for about 10 boxes! and I didn't even see the doctor for it this time, I just filled out a prescription request and the next day it was waiting for me. Maybe it goes by areas? Definitely worth a try!

BikeRunSki Mon 12-Feb-18 20:22:38

Yes. I didn’t help much in tablet form, but was brilliant (if rather trippy) by IV in hospital. I also too stemitil, ondanestron (sp?) and Avomine, in both pg. both children are fine, as are the dc of my friend who can only manage pg with Phenergan.

differentkindofpenguin Mon 12-Feb-18 20:24:20

I had cyclizine with my second, helped a bit from what I remember. Madam is 5 and fine.

It's very, very unlikely that your GP will prescribe anything to harm the baby ( obviously there are situations where there is no choice, stuff like cancer treatments maybe) . Hope you feel better, pregnancy sickness is the worst!

charlottexox Mon 12-Feb-18 20:29:54

Thanks ladies. Took one about 40 mins ago and already feeling good! Hope it lasts for me, I haven't eaten properly in days and didn't get sickness on DD. Wonder if it's a boy this time?hmm hehe

bulldogmum Mon 12-Feb-18 20:47:04

I had it with DD1 but had a bad reaction to it as well. No harm to baby at all.
Currently pregnant with DC2. Was prescribed metachlopramide this time which worked a treat. So if cyclizine doesn’t work for You there are other safe options that your gp can prescribe. Good luck.

coffeeneeded Mon 12-Feb-18 20:47:06

It could be twins??? Runs for cover

BikeRunSki Mon 12-Feb-18 21:11:52

Yes, early bad sickness is often a sign of twins. I had scans at 6 weeks in both pg (had hyperemisis in both). No twins. Just a lot of nausea!

charlottexox Mon 12-Feb-18 21:21:18

It's not terrible to the point where it's causing me to be sick every 2 minutes but it's the feeling of sickness that just won't bloody go away! If it's twins I may cry, and no joyful tears hahawink

NotSoSprightly Mon 12-Feb-18 21:42:26

Ina and Bull what reaction did you have?

bulldogmum Tue 13-Feb-18 10:35:52

I became totally spaced out, couldn’t string a sentence together, couldn’t stand up or walk. Slept for almost 15 hours straight. I’d taken it in an afternoon after work and my DH came home to find me lying on the floor, I had no clue how I’d got there.
But have plenty of friends who took it for nausea without any side effects at all.
The metachlopramide I had this time round is a brain inhibitor so it just stops your brain registering the nausea. No side effects at all for me.

kitty1013 Tue 13-Feb-18 11:12:33

I took my first cyclizine last night and was totally knocked out! I can't be permanently asleep so it isn't much of a solution for me .

But if it's working for you , I'm sure it's fine for baby.
Kxx

NotSoSprightly Tue 13-Feb-18 11:34:06

Bull I became very spaced out too, and when I asked the nurse if it was normal she said it was and that drug addicts always ask for it as it gives them the same high as class A drugs.

The reason I asked is because I had a systolic reaction and was told they are VERY common when taking anti-emetics!

NotSoSprightly Tue 13-Feb-18 11:34:33

Dystonic not systolic!

charlottexox Tue 13-Feb-18 18:23:12

Hi girls, had my second dose today and feeling very relaxed and tired. Although it is taking the edge off the nausea and managed to eat a pancake - after all it is pancake day wink I hate this sickness feeling!

Star88 Fri 16-Mar-18 22:00:00

Can I just ask how you're finding the cyclising? Are you still taking it? Was it effective!? Just started mind but feeling no relief yet...

user1485778793 Sun 18-Mar-18 09:39:15

I went straight onto phenegran at 5 weeks, max dose. I had bad side effects so went onto cyclizine which wasn't as good but the side effects weren't nearly as strong. So far baby is fine im 23 weeks and she's been checked head to toe due to previous loss.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: