Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Baby has stopped growing

(11 Posts)
user1485788422 Mon 12-Feb-18 17:30:07

Hi all smile I've just got home from my 34 week midwife appointment and she's told me that my baby hasn't grown at all in 2 weeks. This is my 3rd pregnancy and with my 2 previous pregnancies both babies slowed down with growth and some point but never just stopped growing completely?? hmm I have a scan booked in 3 days but I don't want to worry myself to death until then. Has this happened to anyone before??

emvy Mon 12-Feb-18 17:59:44

This recently happened to a friend of mine - she was told her baby had stopped growing at 37 weeks. She was booked in for a scan. Everything was fine. Baby was born full term weighing over 7lb. Bump measurements are notoriously inaccurate. I’m assuming they’ve referred you for a scan? They so often get baby’s size wrong, I’d try not to panic just yet.

SS81C Mon 12-Feb-18 18:03:40

I presume this is on abdominal measurement?
It's really common to be referred in because of slowed or static growth on fundal height ..the growth scan will look at baby's weight, waters and blood flow between baba and the placenta to see if there are any concerns....
It doesn't mean the baby hasnt grown in two weeks....fundal height is quite subjective (even done by the same midwofe) it might be that baby has grown but has engaged or is in a different position. The measurement is a screening tool to spot potential problems....doesnt mean there definitely is one...
Try not to worry....as long as baby is moving in their regular pattern and Just wait to see what the scan says.
(I've got a scan on Thursday for the same....bump only grown 2cm in 4 weeks....)

HalfStar Mon 12-Feb-18 19:20:59

Hey, snap, same thing has happened to me today so I have a scan on thurs too. Am 36 weeks but supposedly measuring 32?! Although measurement seemed fine at 34 wk appt. I think it must be a fairly inexact science but maybe we can all keep each other company until thurs!

TeaPleaseLouise Mon 12-Feb-18 19:29:52

I've been having scans to monitor growth throughout as there's only 1 artery on the umbilical cord instead of 2.

I'm 34 weeks this week and growth had dropped to the 10th centile at my last scan a couple of weeks ago. They said if the baby hasn't grown above that on the next one they'll look at getting the baby out sooner rather than later.

However, they said even with the scan it can be inexact and I imagine from measuring your bump it can be more unreliable.

They told me to monitor movements and if there's any worry at all to head up to the maternity hospital to be checked.

PandaCat Mon 12-Feb-18 20:24:42

I had a scan just last week because my bump measured the same as it did 2 weeks earlier and had gone down a centile. Baby is fine and has grown but I'm having another one next week, I guess to be sure! I had extra scans with my first too but I measured small consistently with her.

SomehowSomewhere1 Tue 13-Feb-18 02:31:40

Bump measured static for two weeks. Three hours later a scan showed baby had grown fine. Try not to worry.

HalfStar Thu 15-Feb-18 15:58:13

How did those with scans today get on? Just back from mine. Baby is not small at all, in fact slightly bigger than average with a big tummy! My other babies were around 3 kilos at term, i am a bit scared now! But apparently everything looks very well.

user1485788422 Thu 15-Feb-18 19:12:36

Just an update : had my scan yesterday and growth is perfect. He measured small because he was lying on his side (transverse) which is due to excess water (polyhydramnios) so now I have to do a glucose test to see if I have gestational diabetes confused Its just one thing after another!

scrappysquirrel Thu 15-Feb-18 19:21:17

Don't worry op, hopefully everything will be fine. I had polyhydramnios with my first and the fluid levels were so high the dot on the chart was above the "severe" line, I was shitting it. Had all the blood tests and glucose test done which was all perfect. It's just a weird drink with a blood test before and after.

When my baby was born I just had a TON of amniotic fluid. It sprayed all over the midwife blush and they were mopping up the floor around the bed.

It can just be one of those things. Hope you get on ok with the test x

thismeansnothing Thu 15-Feb-18 19:30:32

I had this at a similar time in my pregnancy. Worried myself sick. Had a consultants appointment and a scan and was all a case of mw not being able to use a tape measure. Didn't help I saw a different midwife at every single appointment so always a degree of inaccuracy

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: