Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Health Visitor

(9 Posts)
Shaunieh95 Mon 12-Feb-18 14:40:33

Hi smile

Just wondering what sort of thing my health visitor is going to ask me, I've just had my letter for her to come see me when I'm 35 weeks and in all honesty I'm nervous as hell!

Can anybody tell me what to expect smile

Thanks

Countingsheeeep Mon 12-Feb-18 14:42:35

They will just be there to offer you some basic guidance, safe sleeping practices etc, it's nothing to stress about.

Mymouthgetsmeintrouble Mon 12-Feb-18 14:44:24

Mine gave advice on safe sleep / feeding also wanted to know how much we drink / smoke and wanted to see babies crib to make sure baby had a safe place to sleep

PinkAvocado Mon 12-Feb-18 14:46:42

Both times mine gave me breastfeeding info, had a chat and explained what her role is. Never asked to see cot or anything like that. She also explained that if I wanted to she could explain safe consleeping practices.

PinkAvocado Mon 12-Feb-18 14:46:53

*cosleeping

athingthateveryoneneeds Mon 12-Feb-18 14:49:25

Mine just wanted to meet me before the baby was born so I knew her when she came round after. She's really nice.

mindutopia Mon 12-Feb-18 15:07:56

It's really just a chat to answer any questions you have and see if you need any support before or when baby arrives and to give you your red book, which you'll need to bring with you when you give birth. It's nothing at all to be worried about. It's just so they can find your house and introduce themselves before the chaos is unleashed after baby arrives and you are exhausted and overwhelmed and can't even think about what you would have wanted to ask them.

I can't remember what we talked about with my first (it was a long time ago), but with my 2nd, basically it was just if I had any questions about safe sleeping, the early baby checks and visits, and we talked about what breastfeeding support was available locally and she gave me some good advice about things to try this time around (as I struggled with bf with my first).

They will also just generally assess if you seem okay and ask about any mental health concerns so they can point you towards resources (especially if this isn't your first and you had any PND, etc. last time) and make sure your house is safe and not a crack den. I've never had one want to see around or anything like that. If your lifestyle is truly chaotic (unstably housed, signs of obvious drug use, you have hoarded stuff that is stacked to the ceiling and causing a fire hazard), it will be obvious, but they'd really only flag that up if it was something serious, not if your house is a bit messy and you have a sink full of washing up.

gryffen Mon 12-Feb-18 15:10:59

Ours HV is other way round, we don't meet themuntil after baby is born and cleared by MW - we already know ours since we have dd1 and she comes in and laughs with us as house is upside down with washing etc (we have a small house) and toys everywhere.

Ours is lovely, very practical and mind get your Bookbug bag if in Scotland (not sure if England does it?)

Shaunieh95 Mon 12-Feb-18 15:39:54

Thanks all

You have settled my mind a little, not sure why I'm so nervous as I have a clean home do not drink or smoke and never touched a drug in my life so absolutely nothing to worry about!

Just all so daunting!

Thanks again xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: