Talk

Advanced search

Terrible heartburn/acid reflux

(16 Posts)
PointeShoesAndTutus Mon 12-Feb-18 08:17:17

Anyone got any tips before I go mad?

I get dreadful heartburn/acid reflux after eating anything. Then lately I’ve been waking up in the middle of the night throwing up acidy liquid. My throat feels raw.

I’m not really sure what to avoid? I’ve avoided spicy food and garlic (mainly because they’re so much worse coming back up!) and have moved to smaller meals. Yoghurt seems to help, but I just don’t really know!

I’ve tried Rennies but they’re limited in their effectiveness. I’m not sure what else I can take?

I’m due to see the midwife next week so will mention it to her but in the meantime...any help gratefully received!

JourneyWithMe Mon 12-Feb-18 08:19:35

How many weeks are you?

Gaviscon is amazing

angelopal Mon 12-Feb-18 08:21:22

Go to your GP. There are 2 things that can be prescribed. Can't remember how to spell them!

Also gaviscon should help.

PointeShoesAndTutus Mon 12-Feb-18 08:24:31

I’m 24 weeks now.

Will pick up some gaviscon, is that better than Rennies then?

I’m trying to get a GP appointment but current waiting times are 1 month round here hmm so am hoping the midwife can help next week. Can they prescribe stuff?

TheCaptainsCat Mon 12-Feb-18 08:26:28

I think you can be prescribed omeprazole during pregnancy, see your doctor! Pregnancy heartburn is horrible!

jacketpotatobeansandcheese Mon 12-Feb-18 08:30:07

I had awful reflux up to about 22 weeks (sorry) and constantly had a feeling of a lump in my throat. Rennies & Gaviscon didn't touch it.

Was prescribed omeprazole first by the Dr, but this made me sick so was put on ranitidine which really helped.

My sympathies though, it's horrible.

Smurf123 Mon 12-Feb-18 09:36:18

I'd been taking gaviscon advance as prescribed from ob doc since around 12 weeks.. Taking it 3 or so times a day.. Now 34 weeks and I have just been prescribed omeprasole (prob not spelt right!) been using it for 3 days but I'm finally not waking up at 2 am every night with really bad reflux.

gryffen Mon 12-Feb-18 10:08:33

You can be prescribed Omeperazole and Lansoperazole if needed in pregnancy and it will really help.

I was on it in first pregnancy and it didn't help that much - acid was so strong it destroyed my teeth which are now at the point of removal after this pregnancy.

Check in with dentist too if having acid reflux as you may need extra care.

Bojangles33 Mon 12-Feb-18 10:18:52

I'm 24 weeks and carry a bottle of gaviscon at all times! It's the only thing that helps.

Refreshers sweets also give a bit of relief in a pinch!

Bluebirdsky Mon 12-Feb-18 10:35:52

I would try Gaviscon first as if you see the GP and haven't tried this they will most likely just prescribe this.
If it's not working through you could ask if you could have a phone call with the GP, they may be able to prescribe you something without seeing you and if not they should be able to make you and appointment for earlier than one month!

hungryhass Mon 12-Feb-18 10:38:16

I went to the GP - as I was coughing really bad - little did I know it was heartburn and acid reflux - baby was pushing against my stomach! - Was given Omeperazole and Gavison - cleared it up within days!

Whymustyoubringinthebirds Mon 12-Feb-18 13:19:26

OP you can go to your local pharmacy and they will give you gavison or the likes (peptec?) on prescription with you mat exemption form - falls under the minor aliments scheme

If that doesn’t help I would get gp to prscripe something stronger

PointeShoesAndTutus Mon 12-Feb-18 19:40:51

Thank you! I’ve picked up some Gaviscon so will give that a go and see how I get on. If not I’ll join the loooong queue for the GP. I asked about telephone appointments but the wait is as long for that. Sigh.

CL1982 Tue 13-Feb-18 09:02:22

OP I find some things make it worse as well? Fruit, juice etc. Can you make a note of what You eat when it's worse?

DotCottonDotCom Tue 13-Feb-18 09:03:56

You can get ranitidine in supermarkets

help1978 Tue 13-Feb-18 09:06:08

Ranitidine is fine to take ....don't need a prescription. Was a life changer for me x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now